Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> pumping q's
my2monkeyboys
  Posted: Feb 16 2009, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,245

I am finally ready to give a little of our feeding time to someone else (say, my parents so DH and I can go out to eat along every once in a while). Here is where I need help....
since I'm strictly BFing, when do I pump for the bottle? Sometime Waylon takes both sides during a feeding, so I'm not sure which one/when I'd pump so that it doesn't take away from his meal time. I know to expect only an ounce or 2 at a time and that I'll have to pump quite a bit to get a bottle, which leads me to the other question. How do I know when I have enough? I have no idea how much he eats now -- no measurement marks on the side of my boob, ya know. So do I just pump a bunch and hope it's enough when the time comes?
Thanks! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

I think I'd just let him eat, and them pump when he's done to make sure you don't short him. Or you could feed him on one side, and pump the other side while he's eating - I tried that when I was nursing because I hated all the wasted milk because both sides let down while they're eating. tongue.gif I wasn't very coordinated so it didn't work well for me but you might have better luck with it.

I would store the milk in the fridge until I got four to six ounces and then put it in the freezer. That amount always seemed to be enough (for Andrew anyways... we never could get Allie to take a bottle no matter how many times we tried rolleyes.gif ) but if it wasn't enough it isn't hard to take another four oz bag out of the freezer and warm it up, but if an 8 oz bottle is too much you can't save it for later. happy.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Can I add milk to the container that is already in the fridge (bottle A), or do I need to add it to bottle B until it is cold and then put it in bottle A?
Thanks for the tips! Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to get to take a bottle! tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

A&A'smommy
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

QUOTE (willsmama @ Feb 16 2009, 03:05 PM)
Can I add milk to the container that is already in the fridge (bottle A), or do I need to add it to bottle B until it is cold and then put it in bottle A?
Thanks for the tips! Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to get to take a bottle! tongue.gif

they have to be cool before you can mix them thumb.gif goodluck

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 06:21 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

When I pumped for extra milk, I pumped about 15 mins. after Isaia nursed last, and only for 5 mins. Because he nursed about every 3 hours. I also when he was nursing caught the "letdown" from the other side.

I had a HUGE OVERSUPPLY so my letdown alone was almost an oz. and pumping after he ate I got about 2 oz. from each side.

Good Luck!!

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
AlexsPajamaMama
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,473

I get 2oz from each side
And I pump for about 10mins

Breat Milk is good for 5 days in the fridge
and 5 hours left out on the counter

--------------------
Michelle~Sahm to Alex,Wife to Greg
user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday TickerLilypie 5th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Feb 16 2009, 10:24 PM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

QUOTE (A&A'smommy @ Feb 16 2009, 07:28 PM)
QUOTE (willsmama @ Feb 16 2009, 03:05 PM)
Thanks for the tips! Now I'm just hoping I'll be able to get to take a bottle!  tongue.gif

they have to be cool before you can mix them thumb.gif goodluck

I didn't know that! I always just mixed them right away - oops! wacko.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 06:07 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

You know, you'd think as long as I pumped for both girls (2 years for each one) I'd remember this stuff, but it's like a fog in my brain trying to remember it. happy.gif blush.gif

This site always helped me and I encourage you to look it over. The page is regarding pumping and bottle feeding a breastfed baby. I hope it helps. thumb.gif

Kelly Mom

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Feb 17 2009, 07:17 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thank you! I pumped this morning for about 10 min, but only got 1/2 oz! Hopefully I'll get better at it soon!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Nov 3 2009, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

When I was ready to lean more towards bottling my milk than bf'ing the twins, I started pumping like crazy after they ate. It was a little bit of a pain because then of course I started producing more, but if that is your goal, you can always pump longer to increase your supply. You may not get much extra the first few (or several) times, but since bf'ing is a demand and supply kind of thing laugh.gif , if you continue you will. I don't remember for certain, but it seems like I was eventually getting six oz each side, each time I pumped.

When I had enough to switch them to bottles exclusively, I kept pumping so that I *could* nurse them if I needed to (because they were NOT picky, LOL!) and because I didn't know for sure when I was going to wean them completely and didn't want to lose my supply and not have enough stored.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Nov 4 2009, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

old post emlaugh.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
luvmykids
Posted: Nov 4 2009, 09:59 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (A&A'smommy @ Nov 4 2009, 10:50 AM)
old post emlaugh.gif

HAHA! I should have caught that laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0126 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]