Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Any ideas?
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 16 2008, 08:52 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

Tonight when I was helping Macie brush her teeth, I noticed some black in her back molar. So I brushed extra hard and it didn't come off. It bugged me, so I looked again at all her molars, and all four of her back ones have black but it doesn't come off with a toothbrush or toothpick....she could not have four cavities, could she? Wouldn't she be telling me it hurts to eat? We brush every night and morning and I can't believe I wouldn't have noticed before, but like I said it won't come off which makes me think it's not food. My mom said she had lots of gumdrops rolleyes.gif including purple and black, but if it was from them it would have come off.

I just can't believe I wouldn't have noticed, or that she could have four cavities when we brush twice a day.
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 03:03 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

Do cavaties necessarily hurt? I think I have one and it doesn't hurt at all.

I would take her to the dentist if it doesn't come off.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
kimberley
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 03:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

not sure here either but i'd definitely take her to the dentist. keep us posted. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Nina J @ Jan 17 2008, 04:03 AM)
Do cavaties necessarily hurt? I think I have one and it doesn't hurt at all.

I don't know, I still haven't had one, I just always hear people saying certain foods or temperatures hurt b/c they have a cavity huh.gif

I'm calling the dentist this morning, it bugged me all night trying to think of what it could be or how she could have cavities sad.gif
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

does she take a vitamin or something she would have chewed with her back teeth and just swallowed? maybe its a stain?
iron can cause teeth to get black or a dark purple.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 06:11 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I saw that online last night, they all take a multi vitamin but they're gummies and have never left a residue like that before....I couldn't find a single picture online that looked like what she's got (including pictures of cavities) so I'm really hoping that isn't it.
PMEmail Poster
momofone
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Be Kind

Member No.: 11,030

it could be from the gum drops if you want to give it a few days to see if it fades.
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I have had cavities in my life and they NEVER hurt. I would take her to the dentist just to make sure.
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I'm taking her at 10 tomorrow morning.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 12:47 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Monica I'm curious to know what you find out. That's certainly strange for them to pop up all of a sudden like that. huh.gif Most cavities in children are found between their teeth.

My kids have an appt on the 31st. I'm so not looking forward to it. I know they have cavities if they take after me. sad.gif I have those deep crevices in my teeth...I have awful teeth. I hate it. Maddie is also going to need braces and possibly some oral surgery.

Sorry to rant in your thread. laugh.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 17 2008, 11:39 AM)
I'm taking her at 10 tomorrow morning.

Good plan. Olivia had an abessesd tooth at 4 and never had one ounce of pain. The tooth was not salvagable and had to be removed. She's 7 and has 2 cavities already. She got Daddy's CRAPPY teeth, unfortunately.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 02:16 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I'm VERY relieved to know that some kids get cavities in spite of brushing...I was starting to feel like a failure sleep.gif
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

You're not a failure, Mon. Cavities happen. Our dentist told us that most of it has to do with genetics...and how the teeth are shaped.

You're doing a great job. The good news is, if it is cavities, you are catching it early and her permanent teeth won't be damaged. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 03:22 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 17 2008, 05:16 PM)
I'm VERY relieved to know that some kids get cavities in spite of brushing...I was starting to feel like a failure sleep.gif

It all depends on the quality of your teeth. My SIL is in her early 30's, always brushed and had to have almost all of her upper teeth removed because they were in such bad shape - the dentist basically said she has really soft poor quality teeth and there's not much she could do about it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the girls get my teeth - I have never had a cavity in my life, despite poor brushing habits as a child.
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Jan 17 2008, 04:22 PM)
QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 17 2008, 05:16 PM)

It all depends on the quality of your teeth. My SIL is in her early 30's, always brushed and had to have almost all of her upper teeth removed because they were in such bad shape - the dentist basically said she has really soft poor quality teeth and there's not much she could do about it.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed the girls get my teeth - I have never had a cavity in my life, despite poor brushing habits as a child.

I'm 35 an no cavities, so TBH I don't even think about it much for the kids....guess I should blush.gif
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Maddie&EthansMom @ Jan 17 2008, 05:46 PM)
You're not a failure, Mon. Cavities happen. Our dentist told us that most of it has to do with genetics...and how the teeth are shaped.

I was told this as well by 3 dentists and an orthodontist. I've had very little dental issues. I don't believe my poor husband has one unaltered tooth in his mouth. He is the king of dental hygenine and I'm the queen of dental neglect! It's just not fair. (just like most things genetic tongue.gif )

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 05:57 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

She could indeed have cavities on all four teeth without pain, especially if they aren't permanent teeth. Baby teeth have no nerve connection, therefore no pain. I'd take her to a dentist for sure!

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Jan 17 2008, 09:41 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

Wow. You've peaked my interest. Let us know what it is. I'm sending you ***no cavities vibes***

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 08:09 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

We're getting ready to head out....wish me luck wacko.gif She's not the most cooperative, even when the dr just wants to look down her throat...I'm not really looking forward to this unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Aw man, cavities sad.gif The one I was most concerned about had actually started to abcess, they drilled a hole to drain it and she'll need to go back for a crown. (Or is it a cap? I'm confused, she needs one on one tooth and the other on another, as well as fillings in the top two molars.)

The dentist was fabulous, I'm very relieved, and Macie even said it was fun laugh.gif

She said cavities in kids are actually on the rise again b/c of all the chewy sweets that have become "staples", like fruit snacks and granola bars, they leave more residue that is harder to get off. We're supposed to rinse after eating and use a special toothpaste that you don't rinse, it's supposed to form a sealant of some kind for kids like her with deep crevices (like Aimee laugh.gif )

All in all, I still feel terrible that her teeth are in such bad shape and I didn't notice sooner blush.gif but felt better when my mom, who watched her overnight last week, said she helped her brush her teeth and didn't notice either.
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Bummer that the cavities are already starting. sad.gif I don't buy the candy/gummy candy thing, though. We never have any of that around because Olivia doesn't like it and really never has, even as a little kid and still she's had cavities.

So glad Macie didn't have any fear at her appointment. It's amazing what they can do now to eliminate the fear and pain we associate with dentists. Olivia said the fillings, the tooth removal and the spacer were not really very painful at all. They give them pre numbing where they do the novicaine shot and it just barely pinches. The rest was nothing, according to O!!

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 04:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Jan 18 2008, 04:46 PM)
Bummer that the cavities are already starting. sad.gif  I don't buy the candy/gummy candy thing, though. We never have any of that around because Olivia doesn't like it and really never has, even as a little kid and still she's had cavities.

So glad Macie didn't have any fear at her appointment. It's amazing what they can do now to eliminate the fear and pain we associate with dentists. Olivia said the fillings, the tooth removal and the spacer were not really very painful at all. They give them pre numbing where they do the novicaine shot and it just barely pinches. The rest was nothing, according to O!!

She didn't even have to get a shot, since the tooth was already dead sleep.gif I'm glad to hear that for next time though since we'll be going back.

They told her she had a bug in her tooth, and today they'd get the poop out and next time get the bug out rolleyes.gif Sounded terrible to me but apparantly the kids like it emlaugh.gif

This dr has a strict policy against parents in the room during procedures...I wasn't sure how that was going to fly, they brought her to me about 10 minutes after I left the room and my first thought was she freaked out...nope, they were done! thumb.gif

I don't know about her theory either, b/c the twins have had all the junk you could imagine and still have no cavities.

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Jan 18 2008, 04:03 PM
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 06:48 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 18 2008, 08:02 PM)
QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Jan 18 2008, 04:46 PM)
Bummer that the cavities are already starting. sad.gif  I don't buy the candy/gummy candy thing, though. We never have any of that around because Olivia doesn't like it and really never has, even as a little kid and still she's had cavities.

She didn't even have to get a shot, since the tooth was already dead sleep.gif I'm glad to hear that for next time though since we'll be going back.

They told her she had a bug in her tooth, and today they'd get the poop out and next time get the bug out rolleyes.gif Sounded terrible to me but apparantly the kids like it emlaugh.gif

This dr has a strict policy against parents in the room during procedures...I wasn't sure how that was going to fly, they brought her to me about 10 minutes after I left the room and my first thought was she freaked out...nope, they were done! thumb.gif

I don't know about her theory either, b/c the twins have had all the junk you could imagine and still have no cavities.

After trying for years to get Erin past the waiting room door at our family dentist, he finally referred us to a pediatric dentist. The difference was astounding. He also had a no mommy and daddy in the exam room policy.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
Calimama
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jan 18 2008, 02:25 PM)
Aw man, cavities sad.gif The one I was most concerned about had actually started to abcess, they drilled a hole to drain it and she'll need to go back for a crown. (Or is it a cap? I'm confused, she needs one on one tooth and the other on another, as well as fillings in the top two molars.)

The dentist was fabulous, I'm very relieved, and Macie even said it was fun laugh.gif

She said cavities in kids are actually on the rise again b/c of all the chewy sweets that have become "staples", like fruit snacks and granola bars, they leave more residue that is harder to get off. We're supposed to rinse after eating and use a special toothpaste that you don't rinse, it's supposed to form a sealant of some kind for kids like her with deep crevices (like Aimee laugh.gif )

All in all, I still feel terrible that her teeth are in such bad shape and I didn't notice sooner blush.gif but felt better when my mom, who watched her overnight last week, said she helped her brush her teeth and didn't notice either.

I'm sorry she has cavities but I'm glad she had such a good experience with the dentist! thumb.gif There's some people that get them even if they brush a million times a day so don't feel bad. hug.gif hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Jan 18 2008, 07:43 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

bummer. I was hoping it was left over black gumdrops. At least the visit went really well ! smile.gif

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0155 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]