Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anyones baby trying to bite them?
Mommieto2Girls
  Posted: May 8 2003, 10:17 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 167

Madison puts her mouth on me wide open like she is going to bite me, but she hasn't yet. smile.gif
When I guess when she does , what should I do. I don't exactly want to hit her but alot of people say the first time they do it if you "pop" them 1 good time they will never do it again. So what do you all think? sad.gif
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:19 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

eekkk good question, I would not want to hit her either. SO far Kaitlin has only sucked on my arm. I was giving her a bath and washing her back and she was sucking on my arm, I though any more and she might give me a hickey! ohmy.gif

Anyway I will be interested to see what others have done or plan to do

This post has been edited by Kaitlin on May 8 2003, 10:38 AM

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

I would NEVER hit a child that young, just because they don't UNDERSTAND why Mommy is hurting them. Once they are older, and they understand, then maybe a good smack will be alright... but with children that young, maybe it would be best to just firmly reprimand them verbally.

Just so you know though, when Zach does this to me, he is giving me a KISS. If I ask him for a kiss, he closes in on the nearest part of my face with a big open mouth.... so maybe if Maddie is trying to give you a kiss, and you smack her, you are telling her that kissing is bad?

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I hope I didn't come off as rude!!!! Sorry!!

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:26 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley will come at me opened mouth too. She will grab my shirt with her teeth too ... I am not sure what I am going to do if she bites. I wouldn't hit her though.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
booey2
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:27 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

Thomas started doing this when he started to cut teeth, unfortunately they don't really understand at such an early age what they are doing. So they don't know they are hurting you. As they get older they should stop and once they can understand the word no, not sure what age, I think around 12 months you are supposed to use that. We have bit back blush.gif with both boys once the word no didn't work and we didn't know what else to do. Thomas still bites occasionally but not like he used to.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
Mommieto2Girls
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:39 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Just so you know though, when Zach does this to me, he is giving me a KISS. If I ask him for a kiss, he closes in on the nearest part of my face with a big open mouth.... so maybe if Maddie is trying to give you a kiss, and you smack her, you are telling her that kissing is bad?

I have never hit my baby for opening her mouth on me. I just wanted to know what you do when they do bite.

This post has been edited by MoMMy2Madison on May 8 2003, 10:46 AM
PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:42 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

I would never hit that young either, I am not comfortable with hitting at all . I do plan on theaching her the meaning of NO! Her babysitter spanks her kids, and told me when Kaitlin is older if I give her permission she wil spank her also, right now I am not sure about that. I just dont want to do anything to hurt her. I really hope I can teach her with out hitting.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
momofajcl
Posted: May 8 2003, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 43

Nicholas is trying to bite me now. I either tell him "no" in a stern voice and change his position or I try to distract him with a toy or something. Good luck and let us know what worked for you thumb.gif

--------------------
Heather - mommy to 3 boys
Andrew (1/24/96)
Christian (1/16/98)
& Nicholas (9/20/02)

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!
user posted image
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2003, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (booey2 @ May 8 2003, 02:27 PM)
As they get older they should stop and once they can understand the word no, not sure what age, I think around 12 months you are supposed to use that.

Zach understands the word *no*. lol!! It's funny...he'll go for a remote or something he's not supposed to go for... he lookes back at us... stretches a little more to reach it...looks back..we say no, he puts his hand down..and he starts again......

I head that biting back was a good way of teaching not to do it to. I know that in obedience school, to teach dogs not to bite.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2003, 11:15 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (MoMMy2Madison @ May 8 2003, 02:39 PM)

I have never hit my baby for opening her mouth on me. I just wanted to know what you do when they do bite.

Oh I didn't think you did!!!! Maybe I should have added :

"......so maybe if Maddie is trying to give you a kiss, and IF you WERE TO smack her, you are telling her that kissing is bad? "

happy.gif I just meant that maybe she's not trying to bite you at all!! wub.gif

This post has been edited by ~*~Zach's Mom~*~ on May 8 2003, 11:16 AM

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Mommieto2Girls
Posted: May 8 2003, 11:22 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I don't know if she is or isn't , I just wanted to know for the future . I know eventually she will. Right now she just opens her mouth and maks that aaawwwww sound. But one day she's gonna use her teeth , and I just wanted to know if anyone has gotten biten and what did they do. If not what do you plan on doing.
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 8 2003, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

I guess if he actually bit me one time, I'd tell him no. I'm pretty sure he understands what No means, because he likes to test the word...

So I'd like to think that it would only take a *no* to make him stop...but who knows!! I might bite back (not hard), but I wouldn't hit, (I'm not against a slap for something now and then) just because I know they don,t understand why Mommy or Daddy is hurting them. Once he's a bit older, like maybe 14- 15 months, maybe a slap if he'd bite? dunno.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
booey2
Posted: May 8 2003, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

Hi, we have also tried to soft spank, but he doesn't clue in because the diaper takes most of the hit. So if he does mow down on us we usually give his hair behind his ear a little tug and he knows that when we do that he has done something really wrong. Because these days if you don't respond to "NO" then it must be really wrong to have mommy hurt me a little. (now don't get me wrong I don't go around hitting him all the time, it is our last resort tactic (sp??) )

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN

MommyToAshley
Posted: May 8 2003, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (MoMMy2Madison @ May 8 2003, 02:39 PM)

I am glad you asked. I was curious about this myself, especially with Ashley starting to bite my shirts. I am sure I am next. It sounds like everyone is handling it kind of similar.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: May 8 2003, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

No seemed to work quite well on Anders once he got a bit older, and he does occasionally still bite. We use time out (I know it's not feasible for a baby you guy's age), but he usually only bites his sister (one in particular). She likes to torment him...I won't say she deserves it, but comes really close! We have used NO (sharply) but would never spank/slap him.....

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
Mommieto2Girls
Posted: May 8 2003, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Your not going to believe this. I just got home after my hour walk and I sat down and Maddie crawls over and starts sucking on my knee , then starts chewing on me . ohmy.gif I said , owww baby that hurts and she laughed at me.Then she got down and crawled away.
I think I jinxed (sp?) myself . lol
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 8 2003, 03:50 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

I think I jinxed (sp?) myself . lol
LOL. I used to post when Ashley would sleep through the night because I would get so excited about it, but then the next night would be horrible...so I don't post any more for fear of jinxing myself. You don't think I just jinxed myself by saying that,do you?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

Mommieto2Girls
Posted: May 8 2003, 03:59 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

You don't think I just jinxed myself by saying that,do you?

Your going to be up all night . lol happy.gif
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 8 2003, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

ohmy.gif Don't say that!! haha

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MomofTay&Sam
Posted: May 8 2003, 05:41 PM
Quote Post

I can fish/make fire/be your friend! :)

Member No.: 171

If Sammy and his ONE tooth could bite me(I say eat me) than he would! I am working on no now. I say Noooo mouth and pull stuff away from his mouth and he does give up alittle. I can see him thinkng about it. I think he is showing his affection and teething at the same time. What a world these little guys must be going thru. I do punish my 10 year old but w/o spanking, it just never works and hurts feelings of everyone involved.

--------------------
Mommy to two wonderful boys!

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 9 2003, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

You guys crack me up!!!!! emlaugh.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mummyof2boyz
Posted: May 9 2003, 03:52 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 161

Sence Hayden was about 3 months old he had always like to chew on my chin. At the time it not bother me. It was cute. Then when he got his first 2 teeth in at 4 1/2 month old. Thats when it started to hurt. It took me a long time to get him out of chewing on me. Just about a week ago I have taught him to give me kisses (very wet, he he) instead of biting me. I still jerk my head back real quick when he starts coming towards me. But he has learned. He also loves to give me rassberrys on my arm. He is so cute!

--------------------
Angie, mummy to Logan May 4 1999 and Hayden Oct 3 2002

My Webpage

The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child. ~Joe Houldsworth

PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Heather
Posted: May 10 2003, 05:33 AM
Quote Post

So nice to be back :)

Member No.: 134

Alison has 7.5 teeth, biting was the best thing to her. BUT I think the novelty has wore off....just when you think she is going to bite you, she blows raspberries!!! AND she laughs so hard afterwards. She is a goof...LOL!!!

--------------------
Heather

PMAOL
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 10 2003, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Not to get off topic, but Ashley loves to blow raspberries on me too. It is hillarious!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0178 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]