Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Jessyann, How's it going
Guest_Schnoogly
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

How is it going with BF? Are you seeing a lactation consultant? They really can help. Around here the hospitals have free breastfeeding clinics. You might call around to see what's available. It's really important to try to nurse as often as possible (at least every 3 hours, 2 hours is better), and to really reduce the amount of formula you're giving (if any) and pump a lot if necessary. What is your schedule like? I know how hard it is to transition to BF, but it is really worth it! You'll be so happy when you don't have to wash tons and tons of bottles every day smile.gif

Is the problem that she won't latch? An LC would help make sure she doesn't have any sucking probs (tongue tied, etc) and can really help with positioning and stuff. Is the problem that she won't stay awake? There are things you can do to help her stay awake--undress, cool washcloth, switch sides.

It is so hard when you can't BF right away and the baby gets some formula. It always goes downhill from there--but it is reversable!! If you're trying to wean from formula the LC on the parentsplace breastfeeding board has a plan to do this.

Also have you seen kellymom's site? There is just about everything you ever wanted to know about BF there.

I've been through this and just wanted to offer my advice--now is the critical time to make sure you're pumping enough if you're not EBF. Some moms can make a ton of milk even though they don't pump that often and the baby doesn't nurse well, and other moms (like me) can't make enough by pumping alone no matter how often they pump. So I really encourage you to go see a LC if you want to BF.

Here is how you can find one toohttp://www.breastfeeding.com/directory/lcd...cdirectory.html
kellysap
http://messageboards.ivillage.com/iv-ppbre...ed/?msg=68897.5

Good luck and let us know how it goes! I know it is really hard, but it is so worth it!!

Steph
A&A'smommy
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

Hey thanks for asking about me! I cant bf right now because im on antibiodics i had an infection after having a c-section. I only actually got to bf one time and then the stupid nurses told me that i couldnt bf (doctor said i could grrr) she latched on right away and did REALLY good! We are still working on a schedule its really hard because i have never done this being a mom stuff yet so im working on it! Well thanks again i will have to check that stuff out later because she is awake and wanting to eat!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
DansMom
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Member No.: 223

I breastfed on antibiotics when Daniel was 3 weeks---and my sister had to be on antibiotics and BF right after the delivery, and there were no problems. I would call the doc again and check. I hope it all works out for you and BF---it's so worth it!

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster

5littleladies
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

Lissie

Group: Members
Member No.: 116

I've breastfeed on antibiotics as well. A couple of times. Maybe you are on a higher dosage than usual?

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
Schnoogly
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 02:27 PM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

Member No.: 82

See that's what totally ticks me off. There is no reason you couldn't BF right away and another doc goes and tries to ruin a perfectly good BF relationship. Both Iain and I were pumped so full of antibiotics we were sizzling clean but no probs with my milk.

And what's the deal, you can feed her pumped milk but not BF??? That's just stupid. Anyway, I'm mad at your doc not at you.

Really, do go see a Lactation Consultant. It is really hard to get started and know what to do. I never could have figured it out without someone there to help me. I was afraid to push his head closer to my breast, but that's exactly what you have to do.

Just keep trying, and it will get a lot easier!

--------------------
Steph, mom to Iain born 12/24/02 whose heart was fixed 3-20-03
Iain's page & heart story & one ^i^ 9/04
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
A&A'smommy
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 03:09 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

the antibiodic that i was on at first wasnt working fast enough so i had to be put on another antibiodic which isnt safe for bf, so he told me to pump to keep up my supply but i cant feed that to her so for right now she a formula baby but starting tomorrow im going to bf i hope that im making enough im afraid i got stupid and didnt pump enough so for today im going to pump every hour on the hour, wish me luck on that one.

I would LOVE to go see a lactation consultant im sure that would be WONDERFUL, but we dont have ANYTHING like that around here which is REALL stupid! So the first time i did it i had a some instructions emlaugh.gif on how to do it and it worked. I feel so bad for her now she wants to nurse so bad...and i bet it would help her sleep at night too...my poor baby!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
jcc64
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Hi JessyAnn,
Just wanted to back up what Steph said. Even if there are no actual lactation consultants in your area, very often the nurses in the maternity dept of any hospital are extremely knowledgable, and you could probably call them or even stop in. Most hospitals offer bf classes, as do a lot of HMO's. Sometimes you have to ask around a little. And if all else fails, La Leche League has consultants right online on their website that will answer you back immediately and follow you until you are ready to do it on your own. I consulted with them and they were extremely helpful. This was my 3rd kid, and I still had questions. It's a little bit of work at 1st as the others mentioned, but soooooooooo worth it for you both. Just seek out as much support as you need, we're all here for you!

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Nov 24 2003, 05:22 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Hey JessyAnn... that's great that you get to start BF tomorrow. Good luck! Let us know how it goes!

grouphug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0179 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]