Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Found out why no AF, cyst
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

I finally went to my Ob this morning to find out why I haven't had AF since January 4th. Four neg PG tests too. I had a full pelvic exam and the doc felt a cyst on my right ovary - so I came back in the afternoon to have an ultrasound and discovered that it's actually on my LEFT ovary. dry.gif I'm not having any pain, although the exam was a bit uncomfortable on that side. So she wants me to come back in another 8-10 weeks to see if it has enlarged. Right now it is only about 2.5 cm, which is normal and it's fluid-filled, which is also normal. She prescribed prometrium (progesterone pills) that I need to take for 10 days so that I hopefully have a period. It's actually what I was on when we conceived Wil, so I need to be extra careful.

Anyone been through this? It's all new to me, so any info would be appreciated. I know I shouldn't worry. But after having a mammo done just a few weeks ago and now THIS....ugh. sleep.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I have I think 2 small cysts on my right ovary. Every once in a while it's painful when I ovulate, but not terribly bad. Mine have never swelled or anything, but the Dr. told me just to pay attention to them - if they hurt for more than a few days nonstop to get them checked because they can swell enough that they burst, and that can be bad.

ETA: I could be wrong, but I'm also pretty sure that once you get them, they don't go away on their own - unless you have them removed they are there forever.

This post has been edited by brookeandmadisonsmom on Feb 28 2008, 03:22 PM
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

No experience. Just hugs. hug.gif hug.gif I would think the progesterone would only make them grow? unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster

kimberley
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

hug.gif hug.gif hope it clears up quickly. i had no idea cyst would stop AF.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
sparkys2boys
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:29 PM
Quote Post

Sleep, is over-rated!!!

Member No.: 6,128

I had one during first pregnancy that caused me agony for awhile and then it disappeared on it's own. Hope it doesn't bother you to much hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Jackie012007
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:31 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,017

I had a cyst while I was pregnant. It was leaking blood and fluid and I freaked out because I had just found out I was pregnant and thought I was having a m/c! It was a little uncomfortable feeling, but every u/s they checked on the size and eventually it emptied and shrank away. Hope the same goes for you!!!! hug.gif

--------------------
Jackie - mama to Carly Evelyn (01-05-07) and Bride-to-Be (02-28-09)
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:34 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

OH Rae, like you need something else to worry about right now hug.gif hug.gif I'm sure it will be ok though, hang in there and keep us posted.
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:46 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Thanks you guys. I don't think it's DEFINITELY the reason I'm not having AF - other reasons we talked about were low progesterone levels and low BMI. But finding the cyst was also a factor. Read below. I guess what could be happening is my progesterone level is too low to create the release/maturing of an egg. So the sac never bursts, the egg is never released, the whole AF process never happens. Instead, it grows fluid and creates a larger sac (cyst). This is what makes sense to me.

Here's what I found on normal cysts:

A cyst is a fluid-filled sac, and can be located anywhere in the body. On the ovary, different types of cysts can form. The most common type of ovarian cyst is called a functional cyst, which often forms during the normal menstrual cycle. Each month, a woman's ovaries grow tiny cysts that hold the eggs. When an egg is mature, the sac breaks open to release the egg, so it can travel through the fallopian tube for fertilization. Then the sac dissolves. In one type of functional cyst, called a follicular cyst, the sac doesn't break open to release the egg and may continue to grow. This type of cyst usually disappears within one to three months. A corpus luteum cyst, another type of functional cyst, forms if the sac doesn’t dissolve. Instead, the sac seals off after the egg is released. Fluid then builds up inside of it. This type of cyst usually goes away on its own after a few weeks. However, it can grow to almost four inches and may bleed or twist the ovary and cause pain. Clomid or Serophene, which are drugs used to induce ovulation, can raise the risk of getting this type of cyst. These cysts are almost never associated with cancer.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Feb 28 2008, 03:54 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

hug.gif hug.gif I hope the medicine helps!!!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Mar 2 2008, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Yeah, AF started today!!! I never thought I would be so happy for it!! No need to take the pills now, unless next month's doesn't come around on time. I will say my cramps seem worse than usual - I wonder if that is because of the cyst. dry.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 3 2008, 06:52 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I battled ovarian cysts from the age of 13 until I was in my late 20's. I had to be on birth control pills to regulate them because they were terrible and at 13 the doc wanted to take them out (which meant taking my ovaries out) and that wasn't gonna happen. wink.gif Every time I tried to get off the BCP they would come back. Mine were very very painful, though. Luckily I never had one rupture though. One of my HS teachers did. I knew that because she found out why I was out of her class so much for doc visits (sonos).

Hopefully you won't have a lot of trouble with yours. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0224 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]