Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> SENSITIVE ISSUE
singlemomsouthjersey
Posted: Feb 22 2007, 05:57 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 8,964

My 12-year-old daughter has begun spending time with a boy from school. She recently confided in me that they were "going out", i.e. boyfriend/girlfriend. The boy is african-american, and she is white. I am open to interracial relationships and don't really have a problem with this, but I know her father (whom I am divorced from) and other family members might not approve. Does anyone have any advice as to how I should handle this?
PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Feb 22 2007, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Being in an inter-racial marriage myself, I've run into this very issue. My mother was always against me dating men outside of my race, and made her views VERY clear to me. I dated whomever I wanted anyway, and it created contempt and tension between my mother and me which is still there to this day. When I told her over the phone that I was engaged to my husband, she didn't make a sound. There was dead silence on the other end. dry.gif

She and my husband are now bosom buddies and get along much better than my mother and I do.

Anyway, not sure why I went into all of that. blush.gif My advice is to support her and NOT to hide it from her father's side of the family. If they are going to be disgusting bigots about it, better that she find out about it now. Why not be happy that your daughter has found someone who cares for her and whom she cares about? Good for her! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
lisar
Posted: Feb 22 2007, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Feb 22 2007, 09:51 AM)
My advice is to support her and NOT to hide it from her father's side of the family. If they are going to be disgusting bigots about it, better that she find out about it now. Why not be happy that your daughter has found someone who cares for her and whom she cares about? Good for her! thumb.gif

Very well put.
PMEmail Poster

luvmykids
Posted: Feb 22 2007, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Ditto to the above, maybe you can prepare him a little before she talks to him about it. If it doesn't go well be ready to explain to her that she isn't doing anything wrong and that if anyone has a problem with it, it's just that, THEIR problem.
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Feb 22 2007, 09:24 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

I have a problem with this "going out" thing, but not because of the interracial nature of the relationship (my 17 year-old daughter is dating a hispanic boy). The problem I have is the development of a serious relationship at such a young age. I think 12 is a little young to be "going steady." If you think this is more of a puppy-love type thing and that nothing serious will come of it in the short term, well I have no other real advice other than to monitor the relationship. Our youngest daughter, who is 13, recently met a boy she likes, too, but she understands that she's too young for a serious dating relationship.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0094 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]