Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What do you do with all their school papers?
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 05:29 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

I have been trying to figure out what to do with all their school papers for 2 years now. happy.gif blush.gif During the school year the girls put all their papers they bring home in a basket in their closets. At the end of the school year we go through the papers and weed out what they really think they don't need to keep....which honestly is not much....unfortunately. tongue.gif So then after they go to sleep I weed it out a tiny bit more, but I find I can't seem to decide what to keep or throw away. Then after I'm done I put it in a tub, write the year of school on it and store it. WELL it seems like it's one tub per year per kid and I'm going to be out of space soon. DH can't seem to understand why I keep it all, especially the regular homework papers that aren't such a big deal. I just can't do it, throw it away. I really know a LOT of it they would care less to see as they are older, but some of it I think they'd enjoy.

So how do you do it? How do you determine what gets kept and what doesn't? help.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I don't keep ANY of their homework, classroom worksheets, etc, they get thrown out the day I get them back home. I only keep special projects.....a paragraph they write about something, a project, etc. and I only keep the ones where they did a great job or something cute (like misspellings or funny/sweet/sentimental sentences).
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 07:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Aug 5 2009, 09:58 AM)
I don't keep ANY of their homework, classroom worksheets, etc, they get thrown out the day I get them back home. I only keep special projects.....a paragraph they write about something, a project, etc. and I only keep the ones where they did a great job or something cute (like misspellings or funny/sweet/sentimental sentences).

Monica...can you come over to my house PLEASE!!!!!!!!!??????????? biggrin.gif I know I need to be this way. If I did, we'd have a lot less paper around, lol. I definitely want to keep their monthly journals they do at school, art projects (the really cute ones, lol) and any theme project booklets they do. For some reason I can't get rid of the daily homework papers, though. blush.gif Maybe I just need to let DH do it and then it won't be a problem for me anymore. tongue.gif He thinks A L L of it should be thrown away. happy.gif I know I don't want to do that though. I recently found a few school papers from DH was little and there was SO CUTE to read through. wub.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 07:25 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I think Cary said she scanned the ones that she wanted to keep and then pitched the originals ... that way she could look at the digital image of it any time she wanted.

I'm not that motivated. I'm more like Monica and keep a few specail keepsakes and a few things for scrapbooking.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 5 2009, 10:25 AM)
I think Cary said she scanned the ones that she wanted to keep and then pitched the originals ... that way she could look at the digital image of it any time she wanted.

I'm not that motivated. I'm more like Monica and keep a few specail keepsakes and a few things for scrapbooking.

Yeah, I remember her saying that. I guess I want something tangible, you know, right there in my hands to look at when they are much older -- so that's why I don't scan them.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 07:31 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

And Dee Dee, don't take this the wrong way, but I would have taken you for someone who would keep all of Ashley's homework. happy.gif blush.gif Ok, I'm cleaning out the bins tonight and only keeping the really special stuff. I'm gonna do it!!! thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 07:38 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 5 2009, 11:31 AM)
And Dee Dee, don't take this the wrong way, but I would have taken you for someone who would keep all of Ashley's homework. happy.gif blush.gif Ok, I'm cleaning out the bins tonight and only keeping the really special stuff. I'm gonna do it!!! thumb.gif

LOL -- not taken wrong at all. I actually keep her papers for awhile throughout the school year just in case she needs to reference them. But, I don't really keep the daily work after the year is complete. From last year, I kept the journal that she wrote in everyday at school, an autobiography she wrote, a hardback book that she created with her mass buddy from 8th grade, and a few seasonal art projects. I am sentimental about the work to a point, but it just becomes too much clutter.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

luvmykids
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 5 2009, 10:31 AM)
And Dee Dee, don't take this the wrong way, but I would have taken you for someone who would keep all of Ashley's homework.  happy.gif  blush.gif  Ok, I'm cleaning out the bins tonight and only keeping the really special stuff.  I'm gonna do it!!!  thumb.gif

You can do it! thumb.gif

I used to keep it all, back in preK and just got tired of running out of room and having to find more laugh.gif You'll feel great after you do it!

eta: For artwork type stuff, I laminate it and make placemats for the grandparents. I also have the cheap box frames that are super easy to switch pictures in and out of and they have a few of those in their rooms and a few on the wall going up the stairs....we keep the ones they love in those and change them out when we want to.

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Aug 5 2009, 07:55 AM
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 08:04 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Aug 5 2009, 11:54 AM)
eta: For artwork type stuff, I laminate it and make placemats for the grandparents. I also have the cheap box frames that are super easy to switch pictures in and out of and they have a few of those in their rooms and a few on the wall going up the stairs....we keep the ones they love in those and change them out when we want to.

That's a neat idea! thumb.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MommytoKKC
Posted: Aug 5 2009, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20,506

We order school supplies through the school and when we get them they come in these nice flat, rectangle boxes that stack really well. I just put their stuff in those boxes and label it with the year. I save all art projects or special things and I save homework that shows a new skill they devleoped or something they really improved on. For example, I saved their first cursive writing. I save a paper that showed mastered math facts. But the daily stuff I have to get rid of. I think they chop down a forest for each child in the amount of papers they bring home.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 05:25 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Ok, you'd be proud of me ladies!!! I went back through the papers last night and got rid of a LOT more. I got it down to where two years will fit into one tub - the tub is the size of two shoe boxes, basically. So that's better than one year per tub. thumb.gif It actually wasn't as hard as I thought it would be -- weeding it down more.

Thanks for the push....I need that often. laugh.gif thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 06:59 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Good girl! thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 09:09 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

Karen I'm like you it's going to be so hard to get rid of those things. I have a huge drawer filled with everything they've done in daycare so far and I can't fit anymore in it to be honest LOL! I know once school starts I'm going to want to save everything. blush.gif wub.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Aug 6 2009, 12:09 PM)
Karen I'm like you it's going to be so hard to get rid of those things. I have a huge drawer filled with everything they've done in daycare so far and I can't fit anymore in it to be honest LOL! I know once school starts I'm going to want to save everything. blush.gif wub.gif

laugh.gif For some ODD reason I haven't been that way with daycare stuff. blush.gif I don't know why. You come back here when they start school and we'll help you weed the stuff out -- give you that push they gave me. laugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

moped
Posted: Aug 6 2009, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Good question. I have a wall in my pantry that really nobody sees but me when I am in the pantry and it is Jacks art wall. Anything he brought home from preschool that he liked as far as art is on the wall......the rest is thrown recklessly in a box - UGH.........MUST sort that out before K!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0384 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]