Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bad Dr visit, not gaining like she should
Bamamom
  Posted: Sep 18 2007, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,297

So little Ms Katie Grace really is little - at 4 months old she's 11 pounds. She was in the 25% at her one week visit, the 10% at her 2month visit, and below the 5th% at this visit.

My ped was pretty suportive. He said I can continue to exclusively BF in which case he want's to see her back in 2-3 weeks or I can start her on solids and he'll see her in a month.

What would you guys do? I had planned to wait till 6 months to start solids with her but she's just barely above failure to thrive. I don't want to starve the kid!!!! And I started Tripp on solids at 4 months and he did fine. growl.gif I hate making these kinds of decisions!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
momofone
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Be Kind

Member No.: 11,030

I think I started with the rice cereal at 4 months and my daughter was fine with it.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I started Ben at 4 months and he did fine. If you PED says its okay then I would continue to BF and just start introducing rice cereal mixed with BM.
PM

kit_kats_mom
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I don't have Katherine's weight stats handy but at one year she was 16 lbs. We really struggled with weight issues with her and she's still petite. What my ped told me was that as long as I was eating a balanced diet, my milk was 1. the most densely caloric food for the baby and 2. the thing she's most likely to eat the most of.

I did see an LC and I also borrowed a baby scale to weigh her before and after each feeding so I could have solid evidence of how much milk I was producing. It turned out I did need to boost my supply.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 822

I start all of mine on food at 4 months and they all did just fine
I hope she does well with adding food
hug.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Sep 18 2007, 03:03 PM)
I don't have Katherine's weight stats handy but at one year she was 16 lbs. We really struggled with weight issues with her and she's still petite. What my ped told me was that as long as I was eating a balanced diet, my milk was 1. the most densely caloric food for the baby and 2. the thing she's most likely to eat the most of.

I did see an LC and I also borrowed a baby scale to weigh her before and after each feeding so I could have solid evidence of how much milk I was producing. It turned out I did need to boost my supply.

Good advice.

I would continue to BF exclusively and talk with a LC about upping your supply. Go see the doc in 2-3 weeks as suggested and go from there. If she hasn't gained after seeing a LC, then I would try introducing cereal.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
bawoodsmall
Posted: Sep 18 2007, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Sep 18 2007, 12:03 PM)

That is a fantastic idea about the scale. Then you will know that she is getting enough and she maybe is just going to be a dainty little thing. I think it would be fine to start the solids if your ped says it is ok. If you want to though start with just the cereal like maybe once a day. BM does have the most fat. Ohh and to up your supply if that is the problem Fenugreek worked for me. Good luck. Hang in there.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

If you want to produce more breast milk, I highly recommend eating oatmeal before a feeding- it's like magic, I swear. Beer is another one- practically doubled my output!
My dd was a peanut when she was that age- had pretty similiar stats. Keep up the bf- I think the cereal would be fine, but I doubt it's gonna change much. I'd concentrate on producing as much breast milk as possible. Try those tips- they really do work.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,162

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Sep 19 2007, 09:08 AM)
If you want to produce more breast milk, I highly recommend eating oatmeal before a feeding- it's like magic, I swear. Beer is another one- practically doubled my output!
My dd was a peanut when she was that age- had pretty similiar stats. Keep up the bf- I think the cereal would be fine, but I doubt it's gonna change much. I'd concentrate on producing as much breast milk as possible. Try those tips- they really do work.

I was going to say the same thing! The Hops in the beer is a wonder milk maker emlaugh.gif Oatmeal is pretty much the same thing. Whole Milk will help up the fat as well. Some babies are just tiny! Is she active? Does she cry? I hate the whole failure to thrive label...You can't chart people! I understand it has it's place but I think that doctors should look at the child too and use their degree to figure out what is true malnutrion and what is just a petite baby girl rolleyes.gif hug.gif

ETA~ The darker the beer,the better!

This post has been edited by punkeemunkee'smom on Sep 19 2007, 06:17 AM

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Bamamom
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 06:40 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

The thing is she IS thriving. She can roll over both ways, she laughs, babbles, smiles, cooes - the works! She cries sometimes but never after a feeding. She always seems satified.

We tried rice cereal this morning. I think she might have swallowed a teaspoon full. She has a powerful tongue thrust.

I'll try the oatmeal - do I eat it before I feed her everytime or just a couple of times a day? I'd love to try the beer but we are teetotalers (I used to drink and realize it's sometime I have a weakness for so I don't anymore.)

Thanks for the advice - please let me know if you have other suggestions or ideas!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Yeah beer is a big one!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0120 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]