Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Breastmilk contains stem cells
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 12 2008, 01:10 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,840

The Perth scientist who made the world-first discovery that human breast milk contains stem cells is confident that within five years scientists will be harvesting them to research treatment for conditions as far-reaching as spinal injuries, diabetes and Parkinson’s disease.

But what Dr Mark Cregan is excited about right now is the promise that his discovery could be the start of many more exciting revelations about the potency of breast milk.

He believes that it not only meets all the nutritional needs of a growing infant but contains key markers that guide his or her development into adulthood.

He says that, in essence, a new mother’s mammary glands take over from the placenta to provide the development guidance to ensure a baby’s genetic destiny is fulfilled.

“It is setting the baby up for the perfect development,” he says. “We already know that babies who are breast fed have an IQ advantage and that there’s a raft of other health benefits. Researchers also believe that the protective effects of being breast fed continue well into adult life.

“The point is that many mothers see milks as identical – formula milk and breast milk look the same so they must be the same. But we know now that they are quite different and a lot of the effects of breast milk versus formula don’t become apparent for decades. Formula companies have focussed on matching breast milk’s nutritional qualities but formula can never provide the developmental guidance.”

thumb.gif All the more reasons to breastfeed!!

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
holley79
Posted: Feb 12 2008, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

Thanks for the info.

It's very unfortunate that some can't that really want to.

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 04:51 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Yes, that's true. I guess it also depends on how dedicated one is to it too.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Feb 13 2008, 07:51 AM)

No, not really....Not everyone can breastfeed. It doesn't matter how dedicated you are to it, some circumstances just don't allow for it.

Interesting, though... I wonder if there will be a bigger market for it now?

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 05:10 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

Another good thing about it - a (hopefully) less controversial way to complete their stem cell research!
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 05:22 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Feb 13 2008, 07:07 AM)
Yes, that's true.  I guess it also depends on how dedicated one is to it too.

No, not really....Not everyone can breastfeed. It doesn't matter how dedicated you are to it, some circumstances just don't allow for it.

The actual number of women who truly can't BF is very, very small. Like I said, it depends on how much someone wants to, regardless of the circumstances. Just because someone has to work doesn't mean they can't BF.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 05:23 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Feb 13 2008, 07:10 AM)
Another good thing about it - a (hopefully) less controversial way to complete their stem cell research!

Yeah, I won't go there. That's a whole other topic.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 05:27 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Feb 13 2008, 08:22 AM)

The actual number of women who truly can't BF is very, very small. Like I said, it depends on how much someone wants to, regardless of the circumstances. Just because someone has to work doesn't mean they can't BF.

Mollie, someone who adopts obviously doesn't breastfeed. Someone with a mastectomy obviously does not breastfeed. Someone with medical problems lactating does not breastfeed.

Dedication does NOT have anything to do with it, and perhaps reword yourself so as not to make the mothers who could not breastfeed for one reason or another feel badly. I could not breastfeed Zacharie properly, it does not mean I was any less dedicated, and i really don't appreciate being told that I was not dedicated.

Maybe that is not your intent, to make me feel badly, but that's how you are coming across. Circumstances play a lot into it, and not you or anyone can judge someone on their circumstances and their ability to breastfeed.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 06:22 AM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Feb 13 2008, 08:27 AM)
Dedication does NOT have anything to do with it, and perhaps reword yourself so as not to make the mothers who could not breastfeed for one reason or another feel badly. I could not breastfeed Zacharie properly, it does not mean I was any less dedicated, and i really don't appreciate being told that I was not dedicated.

Maybe that is not your intent, to make me feel badly, but that's how you are coming across. Circumstances play a lot into it, and not you or anyone can judge someone on their circumstances and their ability to breastfeed.

Well said Rocky. thumb.gif

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 06:35 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I will step right up there and say that I am one that really really tried, and just couldn't do it. It isn't as easy for everyone. Molly, you weren't here for my whole BF saga, but the ladies that are here that went through it with me will be the first ones to say that I really did everything I could.
Its been a year and a half since I stopped, and I still can't look at my pump with out starting to tear up. bawling.gif
Anyway, sorry, OT. wink.gif
PM
stella6979
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,252

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Feb 13 2008, 05:27 AM)

Mollie, someone who adopts obviously doesn't breastfeed. Someone with a mastectomy obviously does not breastfeed. Someone with medical problems lactating does not breastfeed.

People should not be judged.....period. Regardless of whether they can't breastfeed or just choose not to, it is their right as a Parent to make these decisions for themselves.
With that being said...don't let anyone make you feel badly Rocky. hug.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Life is an incredible journey that is only enhanced by the people you share it with. ~ Rev Run
PMEmail Poster
holley79
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,515

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Feb 13 2008, 06:51 AM)

Didn't have anything to do with dedication. My sister is a police officer. It was either dry up so she could wear her vest or BF and possibly make her child an orphan. I also know other people how have had serious stuff happen back to back to back and they dried up due to stress. They researched and looked at how to still continue to BF and were UNABLE to. They talked to people and everything and it just wasn't happening.

Maybe reword at times...

This post has been edited by holley79 on Feb 13 2008, 08:04 AM

--------------------
Holley~ Loving wife to Shawn, (03/22/03), stepmom to Brandon (5/23/88), mom to Annika Lily (12/28/05).
PMEmail PosterAOLYahoo
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:19 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (holley79 @ Feb 13 2008, 11:00 AM)
QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Feb 13 2008, 06:51 AM)

Didn't have anything to do with dedication. My sister is a police officer. It was either dry up so she could wear her vest or BF and possibly make her child an orphan. I also know other people how have had serious stuff happen back to back to back and they dried up due to stress. They researched and looked at how to still continue to BF and were UNABLE to. They talked to people and everything and it just wasn't happening.

Maybe reword at times...

I just think that we are a bit sensitive on the subject since we all do the very best we can for our children, and in MY case, I feel like I failed my child in that area, so I take statements like that very much to heart.

FWIW, I don't feel that Molly was trying to be hurtful. hug.gif
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Feb 13 2008, 11:19 AM)

FWIW, I don't feel that Molly was trying to be hurtful. hug.gif

Neither do I, which is why I suggested rewording. I looked at the post in another light.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

mckayleesmom
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

I wouldn't let her words upset you guys....You know your circumstances and what you went through and how hard you tried...Heck...even if you chose not to breastfeed at all...its your right, your body, your choice.....It doesn't make you any less of a good parent, so let it slide off your shoulders.

This post has been edited by Hillbilly Housewife on Feb 13 2008, 08:46 AM

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (mckayleesmom @ Feb 13 2008, 11:39 AM)
I wouldn't let her words upset you guys....You know your circumstances and what you went through and how hard you tried...Heck...even if you chose not to breastfeed at all...its your right, your body, your choice.....It doesn't make you any less of a good parent, so let it slide off your shoulders.

This is good philosophy for all of us to follow. If we are confident in what we've done as parents, the choices we've made, etc nothing should make us feel bad about what we do - no matter how it's said or presented to you.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:45 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Feb 13 2008, 11:42 AM)

This is good philosophy for all of us to follow. If we are confident in what we've done as parents, the choices we've made, etc nothing should make us feel bad about what we do - no matter how it's said or presented to you.

Exactly...I was really upset for months after I had to stop breastfeeding my son after my gallbladder surgery....they had me on so many meds and one of them was especially toxic for babies if I had breastfed.....For along time I felt guilty, but that went away a long time ago....it just wasn't in the cards at the time. Today my son is happy and healthy and perfect....so I have no regrets anymore.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:51 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Feb 13 2008, 08:27 AM)

I agree Rocky.

I COULDNT breastfeed with Lexi. I was given a medicine that would travel thru the breast milk and to her. So therefor I WASNT ALLOWED. I had to have this medicine basically to save my life. So I chose that over breastfeeding.

And with Raygen I didnt get to hold her until she was 3 days old. And well my milk pretty much went away quickly. And the formula they had her on had more calories in it than my breast milk would have and she needed those extra calories. Weighing it at 3 pounds she needed everything she could get.
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:52 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

exactly what I was thinking! It sounds great to me ~ I for one would be ecstatic if they could (and would) just go to using breast milk for stem cell research. thumb.gif thumb.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
lisar
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Feb 12 2008, 04:10 PM)
“We already know that babies who are breast fed have an IQ advantage and that there’s a raft of other health benefits. Researchers also believe that the protective effects of being breast fed continue well into adult life.

I dont believe this. WHY??? Because Lexi is gifted and she wasnt breastfed. Austin is gifted and he wasnt breastfed. Micah my 22 year old cousin graduated with honors and is now in college wasnt breastfed.
I think its just the people they chose to study. An acurate result would be to test EVERY BABY in the world. Not just a couple hundred. Thats not accurate to me.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:54 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Feb 13 2008, 12:52 PM)

exactly what I was thinking! It sounds great to me ~ I for one would be ecstatic if they could (and would) just go to using breast milk for stem cell research. thumb.gif thumb.gif

I was going to say the same thing. I found the information in the article to be interesting... it opens up a ton of possibilities.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
lisar
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Thanks. I get touchy on these kinds of topics. Thanks for the reality check.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (lisar @ Feb 13 2008, 11:54 AM)
“We already know that babies who are breast fed have an IQ advantage and that there’s a raft of other health benefits. Researchers also believe that the protective effects of being breast fed continue well into adult life.

I dont believe this. WHY??? Because Lexi is gifted and she wasnt breastfed. Austin is gifted and he wasnt breastfed. Micah my 22 year old cousin graduated with honors and is now in college wasnt breastfed.
I think its just the people they chose to study. An acurate result would be to test EVERY BABY in the world. Not just a couple hundred. Thats not accurate to me.

Whether you feel that way or not, results/studies cannot be done on ALL babies. Science is based on studies done on control groups and noncontrolled groups and all factors are taken into consideration to come up with the results that are given. That's basically science and how it works with everything.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Quote Post

Ruby Member

It's no different than saying kids who listen to Mozart have a 10 pt average higher than kids who don't...

it's all perspective...and for every report going one way, you can find one going the next. No skin off my back, don't let it peel yours.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 13 2008, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Feb 13 2008, 11:56 AM)

It's no different than saying kids who listen to Mozart have a 10 pt average higher than kids who don't...

it's all perspective...and for every report going one way, you can find one going the next. No skin off my back, don't let it peel yours.

It's really not just perspective, it's how science is. Or at least that's how I gathered it from all my highschool/college science courses. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0189 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]