Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> FOR THE LOVE OF GOD CHILD...., SLEEP (During the day that is)
lovemy2
Posted: Feb 15 2007, 01:32 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

So Dylan is sleeping more or less through the nite - thank god - he goes down anywhere from 8-9 pm and sleeps until 5 am eats and then back down until like 8 am....

BUT.............

I can't get this kid to sleep during the day - he is tired, wants to sleep but I put him in the crib and he lasts maybe 20 minutes 1/2 hour tops, even in the pack and play downstairs he lasts maybe on a good stretch 1 hour.....

Part of the problem is he is not able to put himself to sleep he really needs to be asleep or really really close to it once in awhile in order to be put to bed.....so....

How do I get this kid to sleep a) on his own and cool.gif for a longer period of time or is he still too young to expect this? He is 8 weeks....

I consistently try to put him in his crib drowsy but to no avail, he ends up scquirming and screaming....and then usually pukes so I have no choice but to pick him up....

At what point do I let him just cry it out - go get him - reassure him - put him down, that whole thing??????

Its making me nuts.....

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 15 2007, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

Is he puking from the reflux and laying down to soon, or from crying? ( Of course either way you don't want a baby puking tongue.gif )

I'd try to put him down and just see what happens for a few minutes, is he whimpering and squeaking or all out squalling? I don't know, it's controversial but at this age I did start the process of teaching them to fall asleep...not full blown CIO but I definitely put them down awake and did let them cry a little.
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Feb 15 2007, 05:58 PM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 81

Emma doesn't sleep much during the day unless we are out, she'll sleep great in the car or the stroller, but at home she just catnaps here and there.
Not sure what to do, but just wanted to tell you we are in the same boat

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo

lovemy2
Posted: Feb 16 2007, 07:23 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

THANKS MONICA, HE IS PUKING FROM THE REFLUX - EVEN WHEN I WAIT LONG ENOUGH TO LAY HIM DOWN HE FUSSES AND FIDGETS, ETC (HE SLEEPS ON HIS BELLY) AND THEN PUKES SO WHILE HE ISN'T ALL OUT CRYING IT IS HARD TO LEAVE HIM CAUSE I HATE FOR THE POOR THING TO PUKE AND THEN HIS FACE IS IN IT!!!!

I DID LEAVE HIM FUSSING LAST NITE AND HE DID GET HIMSELF TO SLEEP AFTER ABOUT 10 MIN.....

I AM SURE SOME OF THE GOING TO SLEEP ISSUE IS HIM HAVING TO LEARN HOW AND BEING SPOILED tongue.gif BUT UTS MORE THE ONLY SLEEPS FOR 1/2 HOUR THING THAT HAS ME NUTSO...MAYBE HE JUST NEEDS SOME MORE TIME TO GET INTO A NAP GROOVE................

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 16 2007, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

Are you trying to put him down at regular times yet? I know at first it's hard but have you gotten a "routine" down? I think around this age they were going down about every four hours regularly, and shortly after we moved into a true schedule. I'd suggest to just keep trying at regular times of the day if you can and see if in about a week or two he starts to gradually get longer and longer naps. hug.gif hug.gif I know it's tough, I totally relied on their nap times to sleep myself or get other stuff done hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Feb 16 2007, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

If it's just during the day you are having problems with what about letting him sleep in a swing or a bouncy seat? Tanner took many naps in his swing and bouncy as a baby because he was very colicky and had acid reflux. He was more comfortable that way and it didn't harm his going to sleep in his crib at night either (meaning, he knew that is where sleep occured at night and put himself to sleep at that time). I would rather have a comfortable baby who sleeps better than have one that doesn't sleep at all and is a crank all day. Not to mention, because of his belly hurting from the reflux, he was more comfortable which I think is important. Not sure how old yours is, but if he's little enough for that, I would try it.

I agree with Monica about the CIO. smile.gif

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Feb 16 2007, 12:20 PM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
lovemy2
Posted: Feb 16 2007, 01:38 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thanks everyone - I did learn very quickly today that if he is squaking a bit but not full out wailing, LEAVE HIM ALONE - three times now - last nite and twice today he got himself to sleep after a bit of squaking..... rolling_smile.gif He can do it he is just spoiled!!! I do have to be careful with the reflux though - and yes Monica I agree with the figuring out his routine thing...

I am going to start tomorrow writing things down, when he wakes, when he eats, when he is tired, etc. to see the pattern which I know is there but my baby brain makes me forget some of it day to day and then I think I miss a cue and I am sunk!!!!!!

So we are working on it and I think eventually he will get into his groove - probably just in time for me to return to work and turn him over to his Daddy on his days off and his Mema on the other days!!!! I am so nice aren't I!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0114 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]