Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Got Raw Milk?
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,840

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
lovemy2
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

Umm no way no how - not for me puke.gif I would be too afraid that the cows would not be healthy and I would have no way to know until it was too late ohmy.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Like I said before, we used raw goats milk for the girls when Megan was about a year old and didn't handle regular cows milk very well. Kylie didn't really like the taste, but Megan loved it. I didn't like the twangy taste but it was goats milk. I wonder if cow's milk has that same twang?

As far as where you get it - just like with organic meat, if you establish a relationship with your farmer and can clearly see how they are caring for the animals and for the milk there is NO need to worry. Quite frankly I'll put my trust in the hands of a farmer that I've established a relationship with, than a huge corporate company, who really doesn't put my interests to heart. wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 02:04 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

thumb.gif There's no after taste with raw cow's milk at all, Karen. But I sure can tell the difference between the store-bought and the raw! And raw is MUCH better!

I just made about a pound of butter this morning too. It's great!

I get our milk from a good friend of mine I've known for 5 years now. They just got their own milk cow, and she is the sweetest thing! I have no concerns about the safety or quality of milk either. My friend is way more crunchy than I am, and takes excellent care of their animals.

Like Karen said, I'd put my trust in small farmers anyday than in big companies that only care about turning a profit, not their animals, and who use who-knows-what injectables and other dangerous stuff.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 02:16 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Mar 28 2008, 05:04 PM)
thumb.gif There's no after taste with raw cow's milk at all, Karen. But I sure can tell the difference between the store-bought and the raw! And raw is MUCH better!

I just made about a pound of butter this morning too. It's great!

I get our milk from a good friend of mine I've known for 5 years now. They just got their own milk cow, and she is the sweetest thing! I have no concerns about the safety or quality of milk either. My friend is way more crunchy than I am, and takes excellent care of their animals.

Like Karen said, I'd put my trust in small farmers anyday than in big companies that only care about turning a profit, not their animals, and who use who-knows-what injectables and other dangerous stuff.

how do you make your butter? I made mine with heavy cream, and shook it in a mason Jar. Do you have to shake whole milk longer?
PM
MyBabeMaddie
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,193

I'll take pasteurized milk anyday. wink.gif E.coli, listeria and Salmonella don't sound like a good gamble to me.

--------------------
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 28 2008, 04:16 PM)
QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Mar 28 2008, 05:04 PM)
thumb.gif There's no after taste with raw cow's milk at all, Karen.  But I sure can tell the difference between the store-bought and the raw!  And raw is MUCH better!

I just made about a pound of butter this morning too.  It's great!

I get our milk from a good friend of mine I've known for 5 years now.  They just got their own milk cow, and she is the sweetest thing!  I have no concerns about the safety or quality of milk either.  My friend is way more crunchy than I am, and takes excellent care of their animals.

how do you make your butter? I made mine with heavy cream, and shook it in a mason Jar. Do you have to shake whole milk longer?

Actually, I used my Kitchenaid mixer thumb.gif . It took a little longer, but it saved my arms from the shaking. And I just use the cream, no milk. I let the milk sit in the glass jars overnight so the cream can rise to the top, then I use a soup ladle to skim off the cream.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 03:24 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (MyBabeMaddie @ Mar 28 2008, 04:37 PM)
I'll take pasteurized milk anyday. wink.gif E.coli, listeria and Salmonella don't sound like a good gamble to me.

thumb.gif Your choice!! Pasteurization doesn't guarantee saftey either wink.gif . See article above for reference:

And few foods are absolutely safe, including pasteurized milk. Massachusetts consumers found this out in December, when state public health officials revealed that three elderly men died from listeriosis they had contracted from pasteurized milk produced in Shrewsbury; a pregnant woman who contracted the illness had a miscarriage.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
Anthony275
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 03:38 PM
Quote Post

king

Member No.: 11,092

thats cool, id never drink anything white and was intended for animals but thats just me
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 04:16 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Anthony275 @ Mar 28 2008, 05:38 PM)
thats cool, id never drink anything white and was intended for animals but thats just me

Could you explain that a bit more? I'm confused as to what you are saying.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
Anthony275
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 05:02 PM
Quote Post

king

Member No.: 11,092

well id never drink anything white
and why should humans have to drink cows milk or any other milk from an animal, it's intended for animals. over time they've just adapted (i guess thats the right word to use?) to drink it
im not saying anything about whats being healthy and do not indend to make it seem that way so please do not pin that on me
PM
Calimama
Posted: Mar 28 2008, 09:15 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

So it tastes the same as regular milk?
PMEmail Poster
Crystalina
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 05:06 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

I would never never bring raw milk into my house. E.coli. Nope. We've had one child die from it already. I'm not going to chance it. dry.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
lovemy2
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 05:28 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Mar 28 2008, 03:24 PM)
QUOTE (MyBabeMaddie @ Mar 28 2008, 04:37 PM)
I'll take pasteurized milk anyday.  wink.gif E.coli, listeria and Salmonella don't sound like a good gamble to me.

thumb.gif Your choice!! Pasteurization doesn't guarantee saftey either wink.gif . See article above for reference:

And few foods are absolutely safe, including pasteurized milk. Massachusetts consumers found this out in December, when state public health officials revealed that three elderly men died from listeriosis they had contracted from pasteurized milk produced in Shrewsbury; a pregnant woman who contracted the illness had a miscarriage.

So really if you read the article - neither pasturized milk or raw milk are 100% safe - I agree your chances are much better with someone you know giving you the raw milk but in my mind the risk is higher with the raw milk - but that is just my mind - we also had a family member contract ecoli - mostly his fault since he didn't fully cook his hamburger but it was devastating and left him forever disabled in many ways sleep.gif

--------------------

PMEmail Poster

bawoodsmall
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

QUOTE (Crystalina @ Mar 29 2008, 05:06 AM)
I would never never bring raw milk into my house. E.coli. Nope. We've had one child die from it already. I'm not going to chance it. dry.gif

this is off the track but you had a child die from it? I am still trying to catch up on everyones history so if I am off base just ignore me or say you dont want to talk about it. PM me so we arent intruding on Mollie.

I dont know about the raw milk thing. First off dh works in a dairy and would pitch a fit...second off I am not sure I would want to risk it totally. Not sure.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (bawoodsmall @ Mar 29 2008, 05:41 AM)
QUOTE (Crystalina @ Mar 29 2008, 05:06 AM)

this is off the track but you had a child die from it? I am still trying to catch up on everyones history so if I am off base just ignore me or say you dont want to talk about it. PM me so we arent intruding on Mollie.

I dont know about the raw milk thing. First off dh works in a dairy and would pitch a fit...second off I am not sure I would want to risk it totally. Not sure.

Her niece died of it - heartbreaking sleep.gif

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
bawoodsmall
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:14 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

hug.gif That is heart wrenching. Was it from raw milk?

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster
MyBabeMaddie
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:15 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,193

--------------------
Lilypie 3rd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail PosterAOL
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:26 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (bawoodsmall @ Mar 29 2008, 09:14 AM)
hug.gif That is heart wrenching. Was it from raw milk?

IIRC, it was from pre bagged salad contaminated with EColi. It was heartbreaking.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Bellasmommy10 @ Mar 28 2008, 11:15 PM)
So it tastes the same as regular milk?

thumb.gif It tastes better!

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:32 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Mar 29 2008, 08:26 AM)
hug.gif That is heart wrenching.  Was it from raw milk?

IIRC, it was from pre bagged salad contaminated with EColi. It was heartbreaking.

That's far from raw milk, isn't it?

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (MyBabeMaddie @ Mar 29 2008, 08:15 AM)
http://www.fda.gov/fdac/features/2004/504_milk.html

Really - you should know by now that I don't believe anything the government says, since they side with the dairy farmers everytime. Of COURSE they recommend pasteurization, along with artificial hormones to make the cows produce more milk than they naturally would.

Here's a nifty little chart comparing raw milk to pasteurized:
http://www.realmilk.com/whichchoose.html . Just look at the nutrition that is lost due to pasteurization! And the standards for for raw milk are so much higher, making for more humane conditions for the cows.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
lovemy2
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Oh Boy - here we go again laugh.gif

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Well I drink skim milk so I am thinking that would be like yogurt to me and I would puke for sure - sorry......
I didn't read the article, but can I ask if it is VERY fatteneing? I would think for children it is fine, but wouldn't it make an adult gain like crazy?

This post has been edited by moped on Mar 29 2008, 10:18 AM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Crystalina
Posted: Mar 29 2008, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

QUOTE (mommy~to~a~bunch @ Mar 29 2008, 06:32 AM)
QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Mar 29 2008, 08:26 AM)
hug.gif That is heart wrenching.  Was it from raw milk?

That's far from raw milk, isn't it?

Yes that's far from raw milk but once you've been through a child slowly dying because all of her organs are shutting down you pretty much don't want to gamble.

I know pasteurized milk can also have E.coli but the chances are not as high.

Here is a website I made for her if anyone wants the story. On the site I've added a video and in it it states that raw milk is one of the ways people can get it. wink.gif

This post has been edited by Crystalina on Mar 29 2008, 10:33 AM

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (4) [1] 2 3 ... Last » Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0252 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]