Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Food Strike?
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Mar 20 2003, 10:08 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

OK, I have heard of food strikes, but what causes them? And, does it include solid foods? The last couple of days, it seems like Ashley will only nurse for a few minutes (except right before bed). I am concerned she is not getting enough breastmilk. She will also only take a bite or two of solids. She is still having wet diapers, but is only poopin' every other day now.

Any ideas or similar experiences?

(For those that don't know, she's 6 months old)

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
HomeIsCool
Posted: Mar 20 2003, 07:24 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

I have heard of nursing strikes .... is that what you mean? I have never given mine solids this young, and when they did get solids, it was just to play with textures and such so it was not their main source of food at all so I never worried if they ate or not. smile.gif

If she not nursing well .... look at *why*. Are you nursing her while you are at the computer? While on the phone? While talking to someone? While watching tv? In other words ... are you distracted or is there a reason that someone/something could be distracting HER? If so, try to eliminate those distractions. Nurse in bed, lying down. See if that makes a difference? Is she teething? Is she nursing more at night to make up for the shorter nursing sessions during the day?

HTH
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 20 2003, 07:32 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for the response.

Solids is not her main source of food, in fact she does not eat much. It does not replace her nursing, she nurses before or after the solids. I am not so concerned that she is not eating a lot of solids, but I am concerned that she will only nurse for a few minutes during the day now. At night, she nurses longer (about 10-20 minutes), but she has started pulling off a lot in the beginning of the night nursing session. I am sure it is not a supply issue because I can easily pump 6-7 ounces and I am not good at pumping. I don't think it is because she is distracted, we always nurse in the same rocking chair. Although, she does pop off whenever she hears Dad. smile.gif

The Ped did say that she was teething. I think that was behind her sleep problems as well. Will this cause them to eat less?

I guess my main concern is that she is getting enough brestmilk since I can't see how many ounces she is actually getting.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: Mar 20 2003, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Hiya -
Actually, in my experiences at about this age, it seems that EVERYTHING is a distraction. She's starting to get mobile, more things catch (and hold) her attention, it's a very very fun age and you just can't see much while staring at a breast - lol -

I would say, as long as she seems happy and healthy, babies won't starve themselves, and they will eat as much as they need. If she was totally and completely refusing the breast with major fussing going on, then I would become a bit concerned. But that doesn't seem to be the case, it just seems she has got better things to do!

I wouldn't worry too much, as she seems to be fine otherwise. I can't remember where exactly I read it, and it was a long time ago, but I did read that toddlers could survive on 4 oz of milk and half a banana a day. So, like I said, just keep offering when she wants to eat and don't stress too much if she doesn't.

Of course, if she starts not having wet diapers, seems lethargic, or other changes in her moods/habits, I would say a trip to the ped is in order. Otherwise, if she's happy and healthy, this too shall pass!

Hugs!

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Mar 20 2003, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess I still need to get out of that mode of wanting to measure how much breastmilk she is gettting.

She is very happy otherwise .. always laughing and giggling. It cracks me up. You're right, this is such a fun age. She amazes me every day!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: Mar 20 2003, 07:52 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Hey - no problem - don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things either - lol - oh, boy, it's been a loooooooooong day.......

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 20 2003, 08:03 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

HAHAH

I'll have whatever you are having -- as long as it is legal and doesn't pass thru in the breastmilk. beer.gif haha

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0114 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]