Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Question for parents of girls?, No debate please just curious
danahas4monkeys
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 942

How many of you will have your daughters get the Gardasil vaccine? At a recent physical for my 12 yr old daughter her doctor recommended it and having already researched it on my own we decided to do it. He says they can get the shot as early as 9 up till their late teens if they havent been sexually active. He say with Kimberly being 12 she was at an ideal age to get it. Its a series of 3 shots she'll get the next one the end of next month and the last in Feb. I just figure with the history of cancer we have in our family why not add this extra protection for my girls. Anyway just wondering if anyone else is or has considered it?

--------------------
Dana
Mommy to Kimberly 14, Jordan 13, Alexis 7, and Andrew 5
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

Well my daughter is not quite 5 but as of right now if she were of age I would NOT have it done. I will re-look at it when she get closer to the 'ideal' age.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 10:37 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Sep 19 2007, 10:30 AM)
Well my daughter is not quite 5 but as of right now if she were of age I would NOT have it done. I will re-look at it when she get closer to the 'ideal' age.

dito.gif too new IMO - but in your situation with the history of cancer in your family I can't blame you - if I was in your position I would maybe think differently about it

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster

Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:06 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

Like the other ladies said, if Bella were of age, NO WAY!

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:07 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

I am sure when the time comes I will do it if recommended!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:10 PM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

My kids WILL be getting it. Mainly cause every woman in my family has had a hsyterectomy before the age of 30. Not always due to cervical cancer or anything but because of female problems. So I will give them that protection.
I know lots of kids who have had the shot and are fine.
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:12 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I really know next to nothing about it at this point, but when my kids get closer to that age I'll look into it and definitely consider it.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:17 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Sep 19 2007, 03:12 PM)
I really know next to nothing about it at this point, but when my kids get closer to that age I'll look into it and definitely consider it.

dito.gif
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:21 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Sep 19 2007, 04:12 PM)

Same... I haven't really researched it because Ashley isn't close to that age yet. But, I will most definitely consider it and look into it more when Ashley is of age.

Just curious, how long do they test a vaccine before it even goes on the market?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvbug00
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 12:38 PM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

No its new and effects aren't proven. I will not get this shot for any of my daughters.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
jcc64
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 03:43 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Thankfully, we'll have a 10 yr track record on which to base our decision.
If I feel its safety record is sound, I'll discuss it with my daughter, and we'll decide together.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Sep 19 2007, 09:04 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Sep 19 2007, 06:43 PM)
Thankfully, we'll have a 10 yr track record on which to base our decision.
If I feel its safety record is sound, I'll discuss it with my daughter, and we'll decide together.

dito.gif We will do the same...

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
My2Beauties
Posted: Sep 21 2007, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

Same as Jeannie, I have about 10 years or so myself before Hanna and well 12-13 before Aubrey is old enough, I'll then research it and find out if they should get it.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
kimberley
Posted: Sep 21 2007, 01:08 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 249

i would do my research and highly consider it with my girls.

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

gr33n3y3z
Posted: Sep 21 2007, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

As of right now not sure if our insurance will pay for it
From what they said to me the shot has been out for many years just started to offered here.

The Dr highly recomends it we shall see

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Sep 21 2007, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Member No.: 2,162

No I wouldn't do it...It is too new for one and secondly it does not protect against cervical cancer-it protects against HPV which causes some cases of cervical cancer. If it runs in your family it wouldn't protect you...

--------------------
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
basilbird
Posted: Sep 25 2007, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 15,824

This is a really tough one for me. I know that the medical community and most of the people I respect feel strongly that this is a safe vaccine that every girl should get. I wish I had the luxury of time (that those of you who have younger children have) to find out what the safety really is of this drug. But my girls already are teenagers, so this is something that I am still grappling with.

I have not had them vaccinated yet. Rightly or wrongly, I am just too worried that a whole generation of girls will be guinea pigs for this drug. Too many times we have found out too late the serious side effects caused by these types of medicines. (Diethylstilbesterol sp?/ DES, for instance, which caused a variety of infertility problems in daughters and sons of the women who took it in the 1950's)

Bottom line: I don't have a moral problem with this vaccine. It is rather a loss of confidence in the testing of new drugs in this country.

I am trying to wait as long as I can to have my girls vaccinated, but I realize that this might be foolish. My kids and I have had honest thorough conversations/discussions about sex. They have taken sex ed classes at school. They are well informed about sexual activity, the risks, etc. Presently, I am confident that they have not yet become sexually active, but I am not foolish enough to believe that this couldn't happen anytime soon.

We have discussed this vaccine, and we all decided to wait. I hope it is not a mistake.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Sep 25 2007, 05:21 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (kimberley @ Sep 21 2007, 04:08 PM)
i would do my research and highly consider it with my girls.

Same here.

As someone who had to deal with such an issue I will definitely get it for my girls if I deem it safe and appropriate, but not until I research it. It is very new, but luckily I have many years before having to make that decision.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Sep 26 2007, 12:54 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

My daughters will be getting it. I already know alot of younger women/girls who have gotton it. Here in Australia, it is a government funded thing. All girls between the ages of 13 and 26 can recieve the vaccines for free, either at school or at the doctors. Alot of friends with high-school aged daughters signed the permission slips and there daughters got the vaccine at school, just like they would with Hep B or whatever they give you in High School.

Personally, I don't see how a mother can stop her teenage daughter from recieving the vaccine if she wants. By the time they get to 16, 17 or 18, you can't really say no. And I wouldn't say no, since vitually all sexually active people have the human papilloma virus (sp?), and it is the leading cause of cervical cancer, and alot of high school children are sexually active, there is no denying it.

When your kid is a teenager, it's not like when they're a child. They can go out and get vaccinated if they want, and I expect a lot of them do.

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
Nina J
Posted: Sep 26 2007, 12:59 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

QUOTE (punkeemunkee'smom @ Sep 21 2007, 01:23 PM)
No I wouldn't do it...It is too new for one and secondly it does not protect against cervical cancer-it protects against HPV which causes some cases of cervical cancer. If it runs in your family it wouldn't protect you...

HPV causes practically all cervical cancers. The amount of cases of cervical cancer caused by HPV is to large for the word some to be used,

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Sep 26 2007, 03:53 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I was quite interested in a few of the things that Nina mentioned....mainly

vitually all sexually active people have the human papilloma virus

HPV causes practically all cervical cancers. The amount of cases of cervical cancer caused by HPV is to large for the word some to be used

Here is an article I found on it with the following information:

Human papillomavirus (HPV) is the most prevalent sexually transmitted infection in the world, occurring at some point in up to 75% of sexually active women

Even less well known is that nearly all cervical cancers (99.7%) are directly linked to previous infection with one or more of the oncogenic (cancer-inducing) types of HPV
PMEmail Poster
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Sep 26 2007, 06:06 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Member No.: 2,162

In the articles I have read the % of cervical cancer directly related to HPV varies greatly. There are fingers pointed in every direction. Some research suggests that because of rapid cell division if you are already pre-disposed to cervical cancer HPV speeds up the process,others say it is a sole cause of cancer in 18-53% (by age)....As I said before it is too new of a vaccine to trust for my daughter.

Someone mentioned DES that drug was used from the late 30's into the 70's before the mass amount of problems it caused were linked. It is now know to cause infertility and cancer...I am not willing to take the chance that my child is used as a research subject.

--------------------
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0281 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]