Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> All natural cleaners
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 05:01 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

I have some recipes for some all natural cleaners that I have been using for a long time now, I guess 6 months or so, and have been really happy with. Thought I would share

All purpose spray cleaner (replaces windex, pinesol, any spray surface cleaner)

2 cups water
1/2 distilled white vinegar
1 teaspoon pure castille soap ( dr. Bronners, I like peppermint)
3/4 cup hydrogen peroxide
20 drops tea tree oil
20 drops essential oil. (I like peppermint, orange or lavendar)

Mix it up and put it in a old windex bottle. It is streak free. I use it on counters, windows, light fixtures, and the out side of my toilet.

for toilet cleaning I use

straight vinegar with 20 drops tea tree oil and peppermint essential oil.
I dump it in, let it sit a while, sprinkle in some baking soda and scrub

for wood I use

1/2 cup olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
shake it up, and wipe it on with a rag.

For laundry detergent I use

Soap nuts. I have been using them a year. they are sustainably grown, and compostable. There are these little "nut things" (not actually nuts for you who are allergic)you put 2 or so in a little drawstring fabric bag, and toss it into your laundry with your clothes. You can use each set of nuts 3 or 4 times, then when you are done with them, they are completely biodegradable. I sometimes sprinkle in a little borax too, for good measure. Your stuff comes out clean, soft, (not as soft as if you use regular detg and fabric softener) but still, pretty soft, and there is no scent at all. I even washed Al's cloth diapers this way and they did not stink, and no stains.
This is the brand I use.
http://www.maggiespureland.com/

you can boil the nuts down to make soap nut liquid, which I use to clean my carpets. thumb.gif did I mention I LOVE soap nuts? rolling_smile.gif
PM
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 07:50 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

What do you use to clean your floors? Also, does the tea tree oil/essential oil help with the cleaning, or is it just there to mask the fragrance?

Also, do you know how the soap nuts are for people who have sensitivities to soaps/lotions? Madison has extreme sensitivities to that sort of stuff - I tried homemade laundry soap made with ivory soap, borax and washing soda and even that made her break out.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Jan 31 2009, 10:50 AM)
What do you use to clean your floors? Also, does the tea tree oil/essential oil help with the cleaning, or is it just there to mask the fragrance?

Also, do you know how the soap nuts are for people who have sensitivities to soaps/lotions? Madison has extreme sensitivities to that sort of stuff - I tried homemade laundry soap made with ivory soap, borax and washing soda and even that made her break out.

For my floors I use Hot water, dump in vinegar, about a teaspoon of Dr bronners castille soap, about 20 drops of tea tree oil, and about 20 drops of essential oil (i like peppermint)

Tea tree is an antiseptic and an anti fungal. Personally I think it stinks. The essential oils help with the smell.

As far as the soap nuts go they are excellent for people who are highly sensitive.

they are:
* 100% organic

* 100% chemical and toxin free

* Bio-degradable (throw used ones in your compost!)

* Recommended for detergent - sensitive skin

* Low-sudsing (good for high efficiency washing machines)

* Non-polluting to water and eco-system

* Affordable (in most cases cheaper than commercial detergents)

* Minimum packaging means less going into landfills

* Less harsh on fabric; colors and fibers last longer

* Hypo-allergenic

* Local harvesting, no manufacturing means less negative impact on environment

* Multi-usage (all purpose cleaner, liquid hand lotion, pest repellant, delicate fabric cleaner, etc)

* Assists harvesters in South Asia in supporting their families

This site has lot of really good info, the site its self is pretty lame, but if you look past that... laugh.gif

http://www.buysoapnutshere.com/faqs.html#anchor_62
PM

MommyToAshley
Posted: Jan 31 2009, 08:11 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I wouldn't know where to buy half those ingredients. blush.gif Are they expensive to purchase?

I tried the "green works" brand of cleaners and I haven't been impressed. The only one that I like is the one that replaced windex, but I could probably use vinegar and water and get the same result?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Jan 31 2009, 11:11 PM)
I wouldn't know where to buy half those ingredients. blush.gif Are they expensive to purchase?

I tried the "green works" brand of cleaners and I haven't been impressed. The only one that I like is the one that replaced windex, but I could probably use vinegar and water and get the same result?

You can get tea tree oil and essential oils at the same place usually. My grocery store has an organic section and it has tea tree oil there. I usually go to my local health food / hippy store for the essential oil. you can get it online too.
Dr bronners you can get at both those places, but I have seen it for sale at Target too. Kind of where you would find the organic / natural make up, lotion stuff.
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 10:16 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I don't think there is a product out there that beats vinegar and newspaper for windows. I tried the soapnuts and wasn't that impressed, but maybe it was my machine. I might try them again now that I have a new machine.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 1 2009, 10:44 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Feb 2 2009, 01:16 AM)
I don't think there is a product out there that beats vinegar and newspaper for windows. I tried the soapnuts and wasn't that impressed, but maybe it was my machine. I might try them again now that I have a new machine.

what didn't you like about them?
Most people I talk to don't like them because they don't make your clothes smell pretty. but, thats the point of the nuts. laugh.gif
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 06:32 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Jan 31 2009, 11:11 PM)

You'd be amazed at how much your grocery store would have of this stuff. The other stuff I buy at our local organic/natural food store.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 06:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

What does anyone use for the dryer? I read some where that you can put a couple of drops of essential oil on a wash rag and throw it in the dryer to give the laundry that "fabric softner" feel/smell. I just can't remember where I saw it and if the rag should be wet or dry.? blush.gif

I also use vinegar as a fabric softner in the wash. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 08:11 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Feb 2 2009, 09:34 AM)
What does anyone use for the dryer? I read some where that you can put a couple of drops of essential oil on a wash rag and throw it in the dryer to give the laundry that "fabric softner" feel/smell. I just can't remember where I saw it and if the rag should be wet or dry.? blush.gif

I use nothing. In the summer I line dry my stuff. thumb.gif
PM
moped
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 08:12 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Wouldn't oil in the dryer stain yoru clothes? I am just curious?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 2 2009, 08:23 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Feb 2 2009, 11:11 AM)
What does anyone use for the dryer?  I read some where that you can put a couple of drops of essential oil on a wash rag and throw it in the dryer to give the laundry that "fabric softner" feel/smell.  I just can't remember where I saw it and if the rag should be wet or dry.? blush.gif

I also use vinegar as a fabric softner in the wash.  thumb.gif

I use nothing. In the summer I line dry my stuff. thumb.gif

So do I, in the summer, but the winter is different.

Jen - I have heard it works well. I tried it this weekend with a dry wash cloth and had no stains. I'm just not sure if it works better with wet vs. dry because I really didn't notice the smell I thought I would.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:38 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Thanks for the tips Tara! Currently I just use vinegar and water on my mirrors, glass, and tile floors. Works good. But I don't add any of the oils. I need to try that for smell. Detergent, I am sensitive to just about everything so I'm skeptical to try something new. I have never used fabric softener in my life for this reason...itchy.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 3 2009, 08:57 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (mysweetpeasWil&Wes @ Feb 3 2009, 11:38 AM)
Thanks for the tips Tara! Currently I just use vinegar and water on my mirrors, glass, and tile floors. Works good. But I don't add any of the oils. I need to try that for smell. Detergent, I am sensitive to just about everything so I'm skeptical to try something new. I have never used fabric softener in my life for this reason...itchy.

you should totally try soapnuts. You can get a sample online at http://www.maggiespureland.com/ for just a couple dollars. run them through a wash or 2, you won't be out anything if you don't like them but everything I have read talks about how great they are for people who are sensitive.
PM

maestra
Posted: Feb 4 2009, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

Thanks for the recipes- we just ran out of toilet bowl cleaner, so I am going to try yours.

As for using vinegar as fabric softener- we have a he washer, where do you put it in- where you would put the fs liquid? How much do you put in?

I love using vinegar to clean, especially my linoleum- it makes it shine. And the area around my faucet, oh, and the baking soda and vinegar volcano for drains. rolling_smile.gif When it's a big cleaning day, it smells like salad in my house!

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 05:19 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (maestra @ Feb 4 2009, 06:26 PM)
Thanks for the recipes- we just ran out of toilet bowl cleaner, so I am going to try yours.

As for using vinegar as fabric softener- we have a he washer, where do you put it in- where you would put the fs liquid? How much do you put in?

I love using vinegar to clean, especially my linoleum- it makes it shine. And the area around my faucet, oh, and the baking soda and vinegar volcano for drains. rolling_smile.gif When it's a big cleaning day, it smells like salad in my house!

when I use vinegar I just put it in when I put my clothes in. It just naturally makes the clothes softer. I would think that if you waited until the rinse it wouldn't get rinsed out of the clothes all the way and you would smell like vinegar. I just dump t right on top of everything.
PM
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Here's one I just thought of this morning - does anyone have a green recipe for a Febreze-like item? With kids who still wet the bed on occasion I need my Febreze!
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 06:17 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Feb 5 2009, 08:38 AM)
Here's one I just thought of this morning - does anyone have a green recipe for a Febreze-like item? With kids who still wet the bed on occasion I need my Febreze!

yea...

1/2 water, 1/2 vodka and about 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. Shake and spray. thumb.gif

I have tried it with out the vodka, but the smell doesn't linger quite as long as I would like. I think the vodka keeps it suspended in the air a bit longer.
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 06:33 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Feb 5 2009, 07:19 AM)

I love using vinegar to clean, especially my linoleum- it makes it shine. And the area around my faucet, oh, and the baking soda and vinegar volcano for drains.  rolling_smile.gif  When it's a big cleaning day, it smells like salad in my house!

when I use vinegar I just put it in when I put my clothes in. It just naturally makes the clothes softer. I would think that if you waited until the rinse it wouldn't get rinsed out of the clothes all the way and you would smell like vinegar. I just dump t right on top of everything.

I've done it both ways, added it in the softener compartment and put it in with the clothes. I liked it a little better in the compartment, the clothes did smell a little while still wet but after they dried, the smell was gone.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 06:45 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I don't have an HE washer, but mine is a "smart" washer (all computer). Mine has a detergent holder that pulls out and in that you can put detergent in one compartment and fabric softner in the other. You can also tell the washer when to release certain liquids. I just put the vinegar in the fabric softner compartment and set my washer to a normal wash cycle like I have always done. So I'd say yes, you can put it in the HE FS compartment. As far as how much, I'm not really sure how much one is SUPPOSED to use, but I just fill the fs compartment until it's full.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 06:46 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Feb 5 2009, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Feb 5 2009, 08:38 AM)
Here's one I just thought of this morning - does anyone have a green recipe for a Febreze-like item?  With kids who still wet the bed on occasion I need my Febreze!

yea...

1/2 water, 1/2 vodka and about 20 drops of your favorite essential oil. Shake and spray. thumb.gif

I have tried it with out the vodka, but the smell doesn't linger quite as long as I would like. I think the vodka keeps it suspended in the air a bit longer.

Vodka is great for getting all kinds of smells out. thumb.gif It works great spraying it on coats when they smell like smoke (like from a bonfire event, etc).

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 5 2009, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif My DH is gonna think I'm crazy when I tell him I have to buy vodka to spray on the kid's beds.... emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 07:05 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Feb 5 2009, 07:32 PM)
emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif My DH is gonna think I'm crazy when I tell him I have to buy vodka to spray on the kid's beds.... emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

That's my excuse too, and I'm sticking with it. laugh.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
coasterqueen
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 07:21 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Feb 5 2009, 06:32 PM)

laugh.gif It is funny when you think about it, and the first time I heard about using it I was like huh.gif , but it works well. Now I was always told only use expensive vodka for it to work, but cheap vodka works just as well wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Feb 6 2009, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Feb 6 2009, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Feb 5 2009, 06:32 PM)
emlaugh.gif  emlaugh.gif My DH is gonna think I'm crazy when I tell him I have to buy vodka to spray on the kid's beds.... emlaugh.gif  emlaugh.gif

laugh.gif It is funny when you think about it, and the first time I heard about using it I was like huh.gif , but it works well. Now I was always told only use expensive vodka for it to work, but cheap vodka works just as well wink.gif

so would a lot of vodka help them sleep????? tongue.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0149 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]