Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> help with breast feeding
boyohboyohboy
  Posted: Sep 4 2007, 05:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I swear baby number three has made my mind completely jello.
ok so I have some breast feeding questions. and i know I have done this before so it should be common sense, but honestly i feel like an idiot again when it comes to this.
at the hosp, i demanded that we keep andrew with us, and i was able to start feeding him immediately. he was great at latching, but his suck seems like he is munching motions not sucking motions...but he did it when ever i put him to breast.

so now 4 days later it seems like my milk has come in, but i am not totally sure, i remember with jake it was 10 days and when it did i was so engorged..so this time, its like i feel pressure, but not engorged, and i have hard spots thru out the breast, does that sound like it came in? i also can express some, but not alot of milk.

i cant tell if andrew is swallowing, he has so many rolls in his neck! and i cant hear it. but he is having wet diapers, and he isnt crying at all, so he doesnt seem hungry he seems satisfied. so i assume he is getting enough.

last time i pumped immediately when i started nursing, so i think i was double producing with jake, now i wonder if this is just how its supposed to be.

should i call the lactation consultant? should i get a pump and try to increase my production?

am i worrying as usual over nothing?

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
amynicole21
Posted: Sep 4 2007, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 69

Don't pump yet! You'll be making way too much in a few days on your own wink.gif Sounds like your milk is in, and you might get lucky and not get hideously engorged, but it could also be another day or so before it's "fully" in. As long as he's having wet diapers, he's doing great. If he's munching too much, you can try letting him munch on your finger for a minute before latching on - it sometimes helps loosen up the jaw. It's probably not a bad idea to check in with an LC just to make sure everything is on the right track, but I think that everything sounds perfect. Does your hospital offer nursing mommy lunches or anything? These were always so helpful to me.

Good luck!

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 4 2007, 05:44 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (amynicole21 @ Sep 4 2007, 09:36 AM)
Don't pump yet! You'll be making way too much in a few days on your own wink.gif Sounds like your milk is in, and you might get lucky and not get hideously engorged, but it could also be another day or so before it's "fully" in. As long as he's having wet diapers, he's doing great. If he's munching too much, you can try letting him munch on your finger for a minute before latching on - it sometimes helps loosen up the jaw. It's probably not a bad idea to check in with an LC just to make sure everything is on the right track, but I think that everything sounds perfect. Does your hospital offer nursing mommy lunches or anything? These were always so helpful to me.

Good luck!

ITA with Amy. It does sound like your milk is in, and if he is not fussy and is having wet diapers, then it sounds like everything is perfect. I think my milk came in on day 3... but not fully for another day or so.

Congratulations again, he's beautiful. wub.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic

~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Sep 4 2007, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Member No.: 788

I wasn't nearly as engorged with Alison as I got with Andrew either. When Andrew was a couple days old I HAD to pump before I could get him to latch on... with Allie I could tell my milk was in but I wasn't all that sore and I could latch her on without pumping. It sounds to me like you're fine ~ maybe your body is just better at making the right amount this time.

One hint a nurse gave me when I was in the hospital with my Andrew to tell if he was sucking right and swallowing was, if you can see his jaw muscle moving up by his ear, then he is getting milk and not just "comfort sucking". With Allie I can actually see her ear wiggling when she eats. tongue.gif Hope that helps! hug.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
wcs40110
Posted: Sep 7 2007, 06:44 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 5,240

My milk came in the 2nd night my daughter stayed at the hospital and it came in a truckload. My cousins came in TWO WEEKS later while she was shopping. A kid started crying and she was leaking EVERYWHERE. LOL I think hes okay. They say just count diapers and everything should be okay. If you really want to be paranoid you could weigh the diapers. Ive heard of that. (and they did it at the hospital cuz my baby was little.)
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Sep 7 2007, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Stacy, how are things going?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
bawoodsmall
Posted: Sep 7 2007, 09:06 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 13,464

I dont think it hurts to consult a l/c. I am sure everything is fine but I should have consulted them more with Aiden. He was always a horrible nurser and I feel like I kinda failed him by not continuing to go and get help. I don't know about the milk coming in because I always had a ton. Hope you get some answers.

--------------------
user posted image[/IMG]
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0114 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]