Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Temper Tantrums, Screaming
Edward's Mommy
Posted: Nov 10 2006, 07:01 PM
Quote Post

I Love Hanson

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,176

Edward is almost 16 months and he has always thrown temper tantrums...since he was 6 months. Lately he has started screaming at the top of his lungs and he turns bright red and the veins in his neck pop out. My parents and grandparents suggest that I spank him....1. I'm not 100% crazy about this idea and I don't think he's really old enough for it anyway.....2. I put him in a play pen for time out (this is all I use the play pen for). If he touches something I have asked him repeatedly not to touch, I smack his hand, but that's the extent of it. I've gone to the doctor and he him looked at. The doctor thinks he could possibly be depressed....then I suggested bi-polar because his moods seem to switch so suddenly. The doctor said he's too young for us to know if he's bi-polar. The doctor told me that this could possibly be his personality. Does anyone else have this problem? What do you think I should do?

--------------------
~Brandi~ Wife to Chris (9/17/04) - Mommy to Edward (7/15/05)-Preston (5/28/08)
user posted image
user posted image [user posted image user posted image
user posted image user posted image user posted image
Lilypie 1st Birthday Ticker Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
arv99t
Posted: Nov 12 2006, 05:30 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 6,189

If he is screaming to get something he wants just walk away and ignore it. The more attention you pay to him screaming the more he is going to do it. If he continues to do what you don't want him to do then put him in timeout and let him scream. My little one used to beat his head on the floor the dr told me to let him do and ignore him, and eventually he would hit it hard enough and never do it again. Sure enough the dr was correct. He had told me the more attention I payed to it the longer he would continue. This has worked very well for me. He doesn't throw fits anymore.
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Nov 13 2006, 05:51 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Welcome to the toddler stage! I agree it's probably his personality. Things like bi-polar and that are not diagnosed in children this young and any doctor who would suggest that in a child that young would not be a doctor I would take my child to.

When you put him in a time out make sure it is away from any action...they aren't as fun when you can't put on a show for other people. Walk away and let him scream. Do not go and get him until he is done screaming.

The only other thing you can keep doing at this age is redirecting. This is an age of figuring out boundaries. If you are consistant then he will soon understand what he can and can not do. At this age also comes persistance. Just have patience and be consistant with redirecting him.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0175 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]