Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I'm stepping over the line I think...
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 04:47 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

I'm MAKING this kid learn his letters. He's 4 1/2... he doesn't even know his full alphabet. I'm making him learn his alphabet, making him learn how to write the letters, as well as writing the numbers emlaugh.gif

(his mom's ok with it, just btw...in fact, she's encouraging me to do so)

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 06:10 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,984

Good for you. you should assign him homework so his mom can help. wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
A&A'smommy
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 07:03 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

GOOD for you!!! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Good for you! Doesn't mom do anything with him at home and take the responsiblity to teach her own child? He and mom should be lucky he has you to teach him! thumb.gif

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
ediep
Posted: Sep 12 2006, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

I think thats great!

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
C&K*s Mommie
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 05:19 AM
Quote Post

President & CEO of the CNCK Corporation

Member No.: 2,622

I say kudos to you, too! Go for it-- biggrin.gif

--------------------
*~*wife to Christopher for 5yrs~*~
~*~mother to Christian (5) & Kellie (3.5)*~*

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 05:31 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (TannerBugsMom @ Sep 12 2006, 01:38 PM)
Good for you! Doesn't mom do anything with him at home and take the responsiblity to teach her own child? He and mom should be lucky he has you to teach him! thumb.gif

His mom IS a teacher. laugh.gif

No she does... the kid just isn't interested. She's brought me his workbooks etc... he's more apt to do stuff in them when Zach does it too, so she's leaving it up to me, since he just plain won't do it at home. He dawdles and scribbles instead. I personally think he's got an extremely short attention span, and he's just bored about it. He seems to be really ok with the Leapfrog stuff though... at least he sits through that.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 05:40 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Sep 14 2006, 05:31 AM)
QUOTE (TannerBugsMom @ Sep 12 2006, 01:38 PM)
Good for you!  Doesn't mom do anything with him at home and take the responsiblity to teach her own child?  He and mom should be lucky he has you to teach him! thumb.gif

His mom IS a teacher. laugh.gif

No she does... the kid just isn't interested. She's brought me his workbooks etc... he's more apt to do stuff in them when Zach does it too, so she's leaving it up to me, since he just plain won't do it at home. He dawdles and scribbles instead. I personally think he's got an extremely short attention span, and he's just bored about it. He seems to be really ok with the Leapfrog stuff though... at least he sits through that.

I wonder if he's a hands-on physical learner. Some kids just aren't workbook type kids, ya know? They like hands-on learning...like the Leapfrog stuff you're talking about. If mom is a teacher, she should know that. Unless she's use to older kids?

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
CantWait
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 07:11 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

IMHO it's what a dayhome provider does is to provide learning capabilities for the children. Not a responsibility, but an option besides free play and just a watchful eye.

Good for you. thumb.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 07:30 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

QUOTE (CantWait @ Sep 14 2006, 07:11 AM)
IMHO it's what a dayhome provider does is to provide learning capabilities for the children. Not a responsibility, but an option besides free play and just a watchful eye.

Good for you. thumb.gif

I agree. I think it's a combination between home and school that is important. biggrin.gif But sometimes people (parents) can use it as an excuse to not teach their own children when they are this young. dry.gif

--------------------
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (TannerBugsMom @ Sep 14 2006, 08:40 AM)
I wonder if he's a hands-on physical learner. Some kids just aren't workbook type kids, ya know? They like hands-on learning...like the Leapfrog stuff you're talking about. If mom is a teacher, she should know that. Unless she's use to older kids?

I don't think he's more of a hands on learner than the others... he's just easily bored, or doesn't have enough motivation to do stuff on his own. He'll do the workbooks no problem, and well, IF Zach does them too. But if I do them in the afternoon during quiet time while Zach is still in school, he won't do them.

The leapfrog stuff I'm talking about is a dvd that sings a song while telling a story, making the kids learn the letters of the alphabet as well as the sound they make.

It's definitely a thing we do in the agency - we have learning activities, and certain ways to learn while having fun - the kids don't even "know" they're learning. For instance, we had star day the other day. We traced some stars, colored them, cut them out, made a mobile with them, drew more star pictures, had star stickers, star chaped cookies, star shaped cheese... we learned a lot about stars, shapes, colors, counting, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, instructions...

it's the little things that count...

I believe she teaches 3rd grade, although I could be mistaken.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Sep 14 2006, 10:13 AM)
QUOTE (TannerBugsMom @ Sep 14 2006, 08:40 AM)
I wonder if he's a hands-on physical learner.  Some kids just aren't workbook type kids, ya know?  They like hands-on learning...like the Leapfrog stuff you're talking about.  If mom is a teacher, she should know that.  Unless she's use to older kids?

I don't think he's more of a hands on learner than the others... he's just easily bored, or doesn't have enough motivation to do stuff on his own. He'll do the workbooks no problem, and well, IF Zach does them too. But if I do them in the afternoon during quiet time while Zach is still in school, he won't do them.

The leapfrog stuff I'm talking about is a dvd that sings a song while telling a story, making the kids learn the letters of the alphabet as well as the sound they make.

It's definitely a thing we do in the agency - we have learning activities, and certain ways to learn while having fun - the kids don't even "know" they're learning. For instance, we had star day the other day. We traced some stars, colored them, cut them out, made a mobile with them, drew more star pictures, had star stickers, star chaped cookies, star shaped cheese... we learned a lot about stars, shapes, colors, counting, gross motor skills, fine motor skills, instructions...

it's the little things that count...

I believe she teaches 3rd grade, although I could be mistaken.

Is it the Letter Factory one? We have that one, Math Circus and the Talking Words Factory. All are awesome! I have yet to get the Code Word Caper, which I want to get soon.

We do preschool in the morning here. We do our art/sensory, math, reading readiness/letters, science and social science, small motor, etc. We do our circle time in the morning before. Not everything I do is required by the state, but I do it anyways because I want my kiddos to be prepared to go to K.

I have a little girl that is somewhat like your guy. She is very unmotivated. However, she will still do them, but she'll take a deep breath like it's such a chore. Grr. growl.gif I don't know how to MAKE a child motivated. I guess maybe a sticker chart or reward system or something? Maybe he'll change once he goes to big kid school.

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Sep 14 2006, 10:42 AM

--------------------
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 10:59 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

That's the one. We have the others too...but I can't find the Math Circus one. I put it away a while ago (like 6 months ago... lol) to be safe until his birthday...and I thought I knew exactly where it was... but his birthday came aounrd, and I couldn't find it. So it's somewehere... lol

I give them stickers on pages they do well with... it doesn't do anything... rolleyes.gif

I hate the *sigh*...mine says "okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-yyyyyyyyuh" in this really annoying voice too. Ugh.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Sep 14 2006, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

QUOTE (ZEN Mommy @ Sep 14 2006, 10:59 AM)

I hate the *sigh*...mine says "okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa-yyyyyyyyuh" in this really annoying voice too. Ugh.

There is always one is every group hey? wink.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0352 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]