Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is this the new norm?, preschool/Kindergarten curric
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 06:00 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

wow an old post floating around again. The pre-school Kait is going to is great they help the kids learn and if they are interested they are there for them but if there not no big deal they dont push them. Kait really had learned ALOT and with out really tring just thought play and fun. This summer she is going around the world learing about different countrys, its so neat to see it through her eyes. They used and old big box and a broom and pretented to be in a gondula while in spain, and just monday she said good-day-mate, it was simple adorable she even had a cute little accent when she said mate. I still dont kow where she will go after K I do have a couple years to decide.

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 12:24 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (calebsmom @ Jul 5 2006, 04:42 AM)
I called the school system this past fall, and was told that the kids dont have to know how to do anything specific except take care of themselves in the bathroom and tie shoes and zip coats..
I dont want to put my son in preschool, I want to keep him home as long as possible. I think he gets enough social skills from church and play dates, and being in public.
I am wondering if he will be ready for school. He isnt able to go until he is 6 due to his birthday.
he can write most of his alphabet, and do simple math, not on paper though. he can write some word and spell three of them.
I am worried about setting him up for failure if I dont get him a head start though, after reading this I wonder if I am doing him an injustice by not starting him into some form of school.
i agree totally that there is just to much pressure....to early.

Stacy, there is so much you can do at home. Don't feel like you have to send him away in order to learn. If you think that his social skills are good, then I personally don't see why you would have to send him to a preschool. If you want, I have so many websites to go on for ideas for learning activities. It's so easy. Just use things that come along in every day life and turn it into a learning experience. Some kids, I believe, need preschool. But usually those are the kids whose parents don't teach them the proper social skills and simple academics. Those are usually the ones that don't even know how to use proper manners. Parents often think that children "need" preschool, but they really don't, if the child is given those learning experiences from home. You can do just as great of a job, if not better (being the mom), than a preschool teacher...and this is coming from a preschool teacher herself! From what you explained though, he is doing a great job, and so are you! I wouldn't worry about it! biggrin.gif cool.gif

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Jul 5 2006, 12:26 PM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
maestra
Posted: Jul 5 2006, 08:27 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

QUOTE (TannerBugsMom @ Jul 5 2006, 01:24 PM)
QUOTE (calebsmom @ Jul 5 2006, 04:42 AM)
I called the school system this past fall, and was told that the kids dont have to know how to do anything specific except take care of themselves in the bathroom and tie shoes and zip coats..
I dont want to put my son in preschool, I want to keep him home as long as possible. I think he gets enough social skills from church and play dates, and being in public.
I am wondering if he will be ready for school. He isnt able to go until he is 6 due to his birthday.
he can write most of his alphabet, and do simple math, not on paper though. he can write some word and spell three of them.
I am worried about setting him up for failure if I dont get him a head start though, after reading this I wonder if I am doing him an injustice by not starting him into some form of school.
i agree totally that there is just to much pressure....to early.

Stacy, there is so much you can do at home. Don't feel like you have to send him away in order to learn. If you think that his social skills are good, then I personally don't see why you would have to send him to a preschool. If you want, I have so many websites to go on for ideas for learning activities. It's so easy. Just use things that come along in every day life and turn it into a learning experience. Some kids, I believe, need preschool. But usually those are the kids whose parents don't teach them the proper social skills and simple academics. Those are usually the ones that don't even know how to use proper manners. Parents often think that children "need" preschool, but they really don't, if the child is given those learning experiences from home. You can do just as great of a job, if not better (being the mom), than a preschool teacher...and this is coming from a preschool teacher herself! From what you explained though, he is doing a great job, and so are you! I wouldn't worry about it! biggrin.gif cool.gif

ITA- we don't expect them to come in knowing anything- but it is really helpful if they know some things. If they know how to sit and listen to a story, if they can identify a few letters (their favorite few) , if they can identify their colors and shapes, identify their name, count to 10. A child that comes in like that is a K teachers dream, it makes it easier to get them to the ridiculously high standards that they are expected to achieve. We, frankly, don't worry too much if they don't get there- we know that many children just aren't developmentally ready for that kind of academics yet. We give them a lot of intervention in 1st grade if they aren't able to reach a certain level by the end of the first quarter.

P.S. Most children that enter kindergarten do not know how to tie their own shoes yet. It's actually developmentally inappropriate for most- their small motor skills just aren't that coordinated yet. wavey.gif

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

mamasbigbaby
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 08:01 AM
Quote Post

Unregistered

Yes, times HAVE changed.
super_mom_syndrome
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 4,146

Actually that is very typical for a preschool program. Every state is different when it comes to lisencing but most states require that the lead teacher for a childcare center has to have training in the field of early childhood education, however for preschool programs anyone may teach it because their is no lisecning requirements for it because its a half day program.

What you should do it do a lot of research and try to find the best program that fits in your philosophy and meets the needs for your child and family. I was lucky that I had a degree in early childhood education to help me find what to look for. I worked at a private montessori school and was lucky to place my son in the program for a very low fee.

What you want to watch out for is printed dittos. Those are papers that children fill out. It isn't very age approraite to them and they don't learn from it. It also doesn't help with their learning style and creativity. Another thing I'd recommend is to observe the preschool before evening placing your child. Take a day or two to watch how the teachers and children interact. If it's a good preschool a lot of what your child will do will look like play but the teacher will explain what they are learning from the play.

Also put into consideration that when your child will enter school, there are testing that schools are required to do for certain grades. This is what directs and changes the school teaching philosophy. This is why it seems very overwhelming to enter your child in school. I teach a readiness for school program, it gears children in the preschool age group that haven't been in preschool and gets them ready for school before entering it. I try to work closely with the schools and teachers in grade K to make sure the transition is easy for the child. It isn't easy work, especially when a child hasn't been away from home before.

Good luck!
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: Jul 22 2006, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

QUOTE (super_mom_syndrome @ Jul 22 2006, 10:30 AM)
Every state is different when it comes to lisencing but most states require that the lead teacher for a childcare center has to have training in the field of early childhood education, however for preschool programs anyone may teach it because their is no lisecning requirements for it because its a half day program.

What you want to watch out for is printed dittos.  Those are papers that children fill out.  It isn't very age approraite to them and they don't learn from it.  It also doesn't help with their learning style and creativity. 

Just wanted to make a few comments. In WI, even in preschools, teachers have to have certain education qualifications, so it varies state by state. Some may not, others do, in centers AND preschools. So check out your state requirements, because here, no matter if it's a center or preschool, education classes are a must, even for assistants.

Also, every child learns differently. My son, for example, learns very well from worksheets and loves them. I do believe that some children do not learn much from worksheets and papers, but it all depends on the child's learning style and how they learn best. So, it is very important to know your child's learning style. If they learn well from worksheets and enjoy them, why not use them? That's just my two cents anyway. Knowing learning styles is very important in finding the right place, and if your child's learning style is visual, worksheets and papers can be positive. Not every curriculum correlates with every learning style.

This post has been edited by TannerBugsMom on Jul 22 2006, 02:22 PM

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0184 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]