Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Sleeping issues, need some help
Joannerobinm
  Posted: Mar 31 2003, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 67

OK, we finally got it so Alex doesn't need to nurse to fall asleep. and this last week he was doing great. 8pm to about 3am, nurse, and asleep for another 3 hours or so. Hubby and I think we should stop the feedings because he isn't really eating a lot. just for a few minutes until he falls back asleep.

So the question: do I continue nursing when he wakes up...I get to go back to sleep quickly....

Or do we not feed him and try to comfort him some other way. and what other ways work? btw, he won't take a pacifier. baby.gif

looking for all sorts of suggestions

--------------------
Joanne mommy to Alex (9/17/02)
Alex's webpage
PMEmail PosterYahoo
momofajcl
Posted: Mar 31 2003, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 43

Have you tried to let him fuss for a while? I'm not a big fan of crying it out but if Nicholas wakes up in the middle of the early morning, I'll wait and see if he is really serious. Sometimes it takes up to 5 minutes of him fussing to get himself back to sleep. But if he starts to seriously cry...loudly...then I go to him and rub his back. He usually sleeps on his tummy. I may be in there for a few minutes until he calms down and falls back to sleep but it works for the most part. Rarely, I will have to resort to nursing him to get him back to sleep. Good luck:)

--------------------
Heather - mommy to 3 boys
Andrew (1/24/96)
Christian (1/16/98)
& Nicholas (9/20/02)

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Joannerobinm
Posted: Mar 31 2003, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 67

Thanks for responding so quickly.

We have let him cry a bit to see if he will resettle. As of yet it has not worked. Quite possibly b/c he knows I'm going to come in eventually.
perhaps we will have to let him try for a longer period.

--------------------
Joanne mommy to Alex (9/17/02)
Alex's webpage
PMEmail PosterYahoo

MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 31 2003, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I am probably not the right person to answer this because I too have problems with Ashley sleeping through the night.

She will go to sleep during the day for her naps without nursing, but she always has to be nursed to sleep at night. She has good days and bad days... as you may have seen from my other posts. She will have a stretch of about 3-4 days where she will sleep 9+ hours without waking up, and then she has nights where she wakes up several times. However, it is getting better. She used to NEVER sleep throughthe night. She used to always wake up crying, but I think that is due to her teething. Now, sometimes she just fusses. If she fusses, I let her try to go back to sleep on her own. If she cries for more than a few minutes, I go get her. I always try to let her go back to sleep without nursing. I rock her or walk with her. If that fails, and she is not wet, I know she is hungry and I nurse her. Sometimes, when she cries, I think she just misses me. I go in there, pick her up and give her a hug and she falls immediately back to sleep.

Some of the other BTDT Moms here might be of more help than I am. Sorry I haven't been much help, but just wanted to let you know that you are not alone. : )

There was another post that Zemirah wrote about her thoughts: http://forums.parentingclub.com/index.php?...t=ST&f=11&t=157

Here is another post where I asked a similar question not too long ago:
http://forums.parentingclub.com/index.php?...ct=ST&f=24&t=66

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
supermom
Posted: Mar 31 2003, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Hello
Well, I can say that I am not a fan of CIO but letting them fuss (mildly) for just a little bit to see if they can calm themselves down is not a bad way to try to deal with it, as long as it's not a "hard" crying and they are safe, warm, fed and dry....

However, keep in mind that babies of this age do NOT learn manipulation, so just not going in will not teach them that you aren't coming, going in will teach them to not rely on you (like they should!). When they are this young, my personal opinion is to go to them, if you are serious about giving up the feeding, then try to comfort them in other ways.

If it's not that big of a deal to YOU to "have" to BF them back to sleep, then keep on doing, it. It (in my past experience) will not promote a baby who wakes up more often or will quit waking up sooner. It will promote security in that infant and when THEY are ready, they will give it up......BTW, how long to you plan on continuing the BF?

If that came across as harsh, I didn't mean it to, just giving my .02

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
dhoppygirl
  Posted: Mar 31 2003, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 52

We were having the same issue with Peyton. He would wake up at midnight or so and I would feed him and then he would wake up again around 3ish and I would feed him again. We decided to let him fuss it out at midnight and when he got himself worked up (which means he was doing more than just talking) either I or my DH would go in and give him his pacifier, which he usually would spit out; we also turned on his FisherPrice fish aquariam. If that didn't work, we rocked him. Now, he is sleeping through that midnight feeding, but still waking up at 3; we are debating whether to let him go back to sleep on his own.
One thing we found really difficult was that we were still half asleep when Peyton would wake up, so without thinking DH would go get him and bring him to me to feed, and I would take him because I would still be half asleep...we had to really work at it!! biggrin.gif
Anyway, good luck!!!

Dawn

--------------------
Dawn
Mom to Peyton 9/23/2002, Sydney 3/30/2004 and Connor 11/15/2005
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0132 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]