Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Contractions, possessives, plurals
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 9 2009, 05:52 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

When Ashley was out sick last week, the class went over the differences in contractions, possessives and plurals. They sent home a few worksheets, but I wanted to make sure Ashley got the concept since she missed all the classroom discussions. Anyone have any good worksheet links they can give me?

I'm looking for something that would help me to further explain the difference in things like:

They're going to the store
That is their book.

Sally's going to the store
That is Sally's book.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
luvmykids
Posted: Mar 9 2009, 06:12 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

I don't know of anything other than what you've probably already explained, that contractions are parts of two words combined, possessives are used to show who something belongs to, and plurals mean more than one. Like I said, you've probably already used all that though so I'm really no help.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 9 2009, 06:19 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I think she gets it. She did the worksheepts correctly. But, I think that they are confusing to some adults, and I just wanted to give her some extra practice at it. They do a lot of board work and group discussions at school, so the two worksheets that she brought home was just to reinforce what they did at school. Maybe I will just let it be.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Mar 10 2009, 03:17 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

I doubt it will be a one time learning concept, Dee Dee. They went over that whole thing again once this year (2nd grade) before they started sentance structure. One of her earlier spelling lists had contractions on it this year as well so they'l reinforce it again, I'm sure.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Mar 10 2009, 04:49 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

I google Free worksheets with those words in it and they will come up for you. There are so many places to get free worksheets from on line. I mainly get math worksheets
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 10 2009, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ Mar 10 2009, 06:17 AM)
I doubt it will be a one time learning concept, Dee Dee. They went over that whole thing again once this year (2nd grade) before they started sentance structure. One of her earlier spelling lists had contractions on it this year as well so they'l reinforce it again, I'm sure.

I agree. Also if she understands then when reading them she probably already has a basis of what they mean and I remember being taught it several times after early grades.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Mar 10 2009, 05:17 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

You're right--many adults still can't keep those things straight, and as an English person, it drives me insane! Here's what I tell my kids:

They're going to the store
That is their book.

With regard to distinguishing between there, they're, and their:
"there" generally denotes location. "There is my family" "Put the book over there."
"they're" can be stretched out to it's original form to see if this is the right choice--in other words, if a student writes "That is they're book" ask her to stretch out the contraction--Does "That is they are book" sound right to you? The answer is obviously no, so that leaves the choice of "there" or "their."
"There" denotes location--in this context, are we speaking about location? No again, so the last viable option, is of course "their."

Sally's going to the store
That is Sally's book.
Do the same thing with stretching out the contraction. In the first sentence, does "Sally is going to the store" make sense--yes, so it's a contraction and not a possessive.
In the second sentence, does it sound right to say, "That is Sally is book"--the answer is obviously no, so in this case, it's a possessive.
That's the easiest, and only way I know how to break it down. You might want to check out Thinkfinity.org (I think it's an .org and not a .com, but not totally sure) It's a website teachers use to design lesson plans for every grade and subject. Maybe you can find something there (not their or they're). Let me know how you make out. I can probably dig something up from some of the professional teaching organizations I belong to, if thinkfinity doesn't pan out.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0134 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]