Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Baby formula ban, Hospitals in NYC
CantWait
Posted: Aug 2 2007, 07:58 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 28

The article isn't saying that it's forcing women to BF. It's simply saying that instead of providing a baby with formula first that they are giving mom the chance to BF, and if she chooses not to, then formula will be provided. I think far to many mother's choose to formula feed because it's there or because there isn't enough education out there on the struggles of breastfeeding and what to expect, only on proper latch, many use it as a cop out because it's easier then your nipples hurting, or latching problems etcc.....Far to many give up in the first few days because it's not as they expected, when the truth is, sometimes it takes a few weeks before things work themselves out. It's portrayed as a natural thing, when in all right, it's really not.
I agree that formula should be left out, or at the very least there should be seperate bags. I don't know how many cans I threw away, (not thinking to take it to a food bank or a shelter etc...) because I didn't need them.

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 09:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Ita 100% with Brenda on this one. I don't see how free samples are synonomous with "forcing" someone to bf. If you disagree with the intention behind the move, then you should also disagree with the intention behind free samples. They are not benevolent "gifts"- they are blatant attempts by the formula companies to establish brand loyalty and maximize profits. Whether or not a woman bf is ultimately up to her, but I would think a hospital shouldn't be in the business of unwittingly facilitating ff.
And while I am certain I will be slammed for saying so, ff is a medically inferior choice, according to study after study after study. Yes, I know some women cannot bf, and their children do fine, and I am not judging anyone's choices here. But the fact of the matter is, many many women give up on bf because of a lack of support and/or information. This is simply an effort to address that. No one is prevented from ff by not being offered free gifts in the goodie bag.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

ff is a medically inferior choice,

i beg to differ and i wish i still had all my links from our old computer because i have found information stating that it is most cirtenly not inferior in choise. I was in a debate board about this topic ( and circ) and so i had links out the wazzoo but since this is lars's computer and i haven't debated since 6 months ago when i still used brads computer. all my infor is on brads. darn... emlaugh.gif anyhoo I wanted to bf and had to ff because mya's size , juandice and such. that's all. don't wanna debate just my 2 cents wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo

kit_kats_mom
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 11:26 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I didn't read the story yet but from the first few responses, I can guess what it's about.

If the state is trying to encourage breastfeeding, I think it's fine. Sure, some people can't but many don't even try or they try, then give up and use the samples which make nursing even harder.

If the states argument is that it will save them money, I can see how that's the case. BM is free, formula is costly and from what I recall, lower economic levels tend to give formula. If those same people are receiving benefits from the state (WIC, Food stamps etc) it would figure that breastfeeding would save the state money in the long run. Plus, if the studies showing that BF babies are healthier than FF babies (not a debate, just saying if it's true) then those health savings would be passed on to the state as well in the form of health care.

I refused all samples just to be on the safe side. I did not want them around to tempt me when the going got rough. I even gave away a whole case of formula that I won for having K on labor day...go figure, little monkey never even took a bottle. rolling_smile.gif

I do think that the formula companies come on too hard to new moms. They spend a fortune advertising. Where's the "got boobs" ad campaigns? I definately felt pushed to FF and if I had not done research and made the decision to BF exclusively, then I would have likely been swayed by the ads and freebies.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
jcc64
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 12:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Well said, Cary- that's exactly what I was getting at- you just said better and more diplomatically.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Aug 3 2007, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Aug 3 2007, 04:18 PM)
Well said, Cary- that's exactly what I was getting at- you just said better and more diplomatically.

hmmm. that's a first. rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
lisar
Posted: Aug 6 2007, 08:21 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Okay I didnt read all 2 pages of replies so if this has been mentioned before sorry.

What about people like me who couldnt breast feed. I could NOT breastfeed Lexi cause of the medicine they had to give me to save me. So I just think its stupid. And for when I had Raygen she was in the NICU for 2 weeks and could barley suck a bottle. By the time she could truly eat my milk had dried up. It was a trial and error process with her.

I just think they need to educate and that it is someones choice and shouldnt be forced on anyone.
PMEmail Poster
momtoMegan&Alyxandria
Posted: Aug 6 2007, 08:58 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,452

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Aug 1 2007, 02:21 PM)
I was just going to post about his, They were talking about it on the View, and again, I found myself wanting to strangle Elizabeth. She and I just don't see eye to eye. laugh.gif

I don't think that the state should have any say at all over if a woman BF or not, but I also don't think that People should complain about what is in or not in a gift bag. They are just that , "gifts" if it contains something you don't want/won't use, then don't use it. Mothers need to take the initiative to do their own research, and if they want to FF< then make sure they have Formula in the house, and not rely on the hospital to do it for you.

Okay. Now, I'm gonna actually check out the link... blush.gif

AMEN SISTER!!!!! I did BF both of my girls, but that was MY choice, not some hospitals or doctors. I am sorry, they should try to push something onto someone, if they don't want to do it.
PMEmail Poster
punkeemunkee'smom
Posted: Aug 6 2007, 09:42 AM
Quote Post

It is a wonderful life!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,162

ITA with Jeanne and Cary...I did feel pushed to FF because of injuries I had during pregnancy and then an emergency C...The nurse told me how much better my baby would sleep and how I was not giving her what she needed because my milk was slow in coming in rolleyes.gif That was a total load of crap...we ended up Bfing for 2 years without a bottle ever...I think woman should be encouraged to try BFing first-if you don't want to breastfeed then I think you should be prepared to buy the formula anyway. I am sure the formula companies will find a new way to 'give' you their free samples smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
baby
baby development
"Before you were conceived I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were here an hour I would die for you. This is the miracle of life.
The Administrators and Moderators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions or offensive posts to the Moderators by using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 6 2007, 10:14 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Aug 3 2007, 02:26 PM)
I didn't read the story yet but from the first few responses, I can guess what it's about.

If the state is trying to encourage breastfeeding, I think it's fine. Sure, some people can't but many don't even try or they try, then give up and use the samples which make nursing even harder.

If the states argument is that it will save them money, I can see how that's the case. BM is free, formula is costly and from what I recall, lower economic levels tend to give formula. If those same people are receiving benefits from the state (WIC, Food stamps etc) it would figure that breastfeeding would save the state money in the long run. Plus, if the studies showing that BF babies are healthier than FF babies (not a debate, just saying if it's true) then those health savings would be passed on to the state as well in the form of health care.

I refused all samples just to be on the safe side. I did not want them around to tempt me when the going got rough. I even gave away a whole case of formula that I won for having K on labor day...go figure, little monkey never even took a bottle. rolling_smile.gif

I do think that the formula companies come on too hard to new moms. They spend a fortune advertising. Where's the "got boobs" ad campaigns? I definately felt pushed to FF and if I had not done research and made the decision to BF exclusively, then I would have likely been swayed by the ads and freebies.

ITA. Well said Cary.

thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 6 2007, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (punkeemunkee'smom @ Aug 6 2007, 12:42 PM)
ITA with Jeanne and Cary...I did feel pushed to FF because of injuries I had during pregnancy and then an emergency C...The nurse told me how much better my baby would sleep and how I was not giving her what she needed because my milk was slow in coming in rolleyes.gif That was a total load of crap...we ended up Bfing for 2 years without a bottle ever...I think woman should be encouraged to try BFing first-if you don't want to breastfeed then I think you should be prepared to buy the formula anyway. I am sure the formula companies will find a new way to 'give' you their free samples smile.gif

laugh.gif They do. They'll send you checks to buy formula if you just fill out a card and send it back to them. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Aug 6 2007, 10:49 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

I just think they need to educate and that it is someones choice and shouldnt be forced on anyone.

You're absolutely right- no one should be forced to do anything they don't feel comfortable with- once they have all the CORRECT and ACCURATE information, as with all aspects of parenting, the onus is on the parents to make the right choice.
However, nowhere in this equation is anyone being forced to do anything. If someone is determined to bottle feed- how is the lack of a "gift bag" going to stop them? There aren't many places in this country where a store selling formula is inaccessible.

--------------------
Jeanne

PMEmail Poster
branmuffin
Posted: Aug 17 2007, 10:18 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 5,588

UGH! This issue makes me so angry!!! growl.gif

I would have LOVED to breast-feed. I tried with my first but due to breast augmentation (to fix my "abnormal breast shape", not just for size issues), my milk ducts where cut in various places. I was told I may be able to BF, that I would just have to try.

Well, I tried and I did not produce enough milk. Pumping for an hour, I only got 2 ounces of milk, then the infection set in. And this is the same for my second baby too.

All the billboards that "promote" ((**Scream: You're a bad mom if you FF!!!)) BF is best for babies....Yes, it's best, but not everyone can! I don't know why all the hype lately for PUSHING BF is out there...there are TONS of healthy kids that were FF and there are TONS are kids that are healthy from BF and VISE VERSA!!!

Okay, I think I feel better now. blahblah.gif

--------------------
Brandy
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0185 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]