Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Wedding attire ettiquette question
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Ryan's little brother is getting married Labor Day weekend. We honestly only see him about 2x a year at holidays and otherwise never talk to him or anything. His brother is from his dad's 3rd marriage. None of us of the immediate family in his wedding. Matter of fact we know NO ONE in their wedding party, almost feel like it's not a family wedding, like we are strangers. happy.gif Ok, my question is can I get away with wearing something not as fancy? Like a pair of black capris, really pretty tank and a black sweater and heels? Instead of a dress? Then DH would wear dockers and a collared shirt instead of a suit? I only have one really nice dress for a wedding and I just wore it to a family wedding back in May and several of those people there will be at this one. So I really don't want to wear the same one. blush.gif And I don't really want to go buy a new dress that I'll wear once. So whatcha think? Oh and I have NO clue if we'll be in any wedding photos or anything.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 05:38 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

What is the location and time of the wedding? Usually more formal weddings are later, in the evening. Unless it is an evening wedding in a more formal setting, I'd say you could go with something more casual -- or maybe something you wear for work that you can add some jewelry too to dress it up a bit. Just a thought.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 07:35 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 26 2011, 08:38 AM)
What is the location and time of the wedding? Usually more formal weddings are later, in the evening. Unless it is an evening wedding in a more formal setting, I'd say you could go with something more casual -- or maybe something you wear for work that you can add some jewelry too to dress it up a bit. Just a thought.

The wedding is at 2:30 and reception is at 5 pm. Stinks because the wedding is 2 hours from us, reception is an hour from us. Don't know why they didn't try to keep the two close to each other. rolleyes.gif Especially since I don't know what we are going to do with the girls for 2.5 hours between the two when there really isn't anything to do around there. The wedding is at a park, one I've never been too before, though. I would wear something I wear to work, but all my work clothes are winter suits. I don't have to dress up in the summer/early fall as we aren't in session, so I just wear docker type pants and shirts, or shorts/shirts.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Mid-day at a park sounds like it isn't a formal affair. In my opinion, I think you'd be ok with what you described. thumb.gif Of course, I am no fashion diva either. smile.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 08:31 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 26 2011, 11:05 AM)
Mid-day at a park sounds like it isn't a formal affair. In my opinion, I think you'd be ok with what you described. thumb.gif Of course, I am no fashion diva either. smile.gif

I think I'm going with what I have. Honestly I'm not sure why I care since I really don't know that many people, even my BIL. I've only met the mother once and absolutely understood why Ryan's dad would divorce her. laugh.gif I plan to just stay in my little corner with some of Ryan's family. Ryan doesn't even want to go, but honestly it would look bad if he didn't, lol. So more casual it will be. tongue.gif There is always at weddings some lovely family member who shows up in jeans, right? laugh.gif So I'd be dressed better than them. rolling_smile.gif emlaugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

I think you already nailed the ways to make this outfit look semi formal. nice shoes like platforms or wedges and some big statement jewelry, make up and hair should be along the same lines. a splash of color .
thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

What does the invitation look like? Generally that dictates the formality of the event... like if it's a cream or ivory paper with elegant letters..it's generally formal... if it's a funky type of invitation it's usually a more relaxed setting...

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 11:36 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

Well since it's a 2:30 wedding that outfit should be just fine, I would dress it up just a touch with earings and cute necklace. smile.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
Our Lil' Family
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 11:49 AM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

Sounds perfect. Nice colorful jewelry and some wedges or heels.....you got it girl!

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
moped
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Got a nice sundress?

I was going to say what Rocky said about the invitation!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Aug 26 2011, 04:12 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

A 2:30 wedding in a park sounds like a fairly casual event to me, I think you'll look great!

Of course, I grew up with my father being the family member who shows up to everything in jeans, so I may have a more casual take on things. rolling_smile.gif In the 28 year I have been alive my dad has literally worn something other than jeans or jean shorts ONCE, and that's only because he was a pallbearer at his grandfather's funeral. Every other formal (or non-formal!) occasion has been jeans.

This post has been edited by My3LilMonkeys on Aug 26 2011, 04:12 PM
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 29 2011, 05:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

The invitation is formal, which is odd. They are doing this whole Alice and Wonderland wedding theme. I dunno. I talked to other family members that are going and they are dressing more casual. If I knew my BIL and his finance and her family, maybe I'd dress differently, but honestly I'm suprised we are even invited. happy.gif And Ryan said "I'll just wear jeans". wacko.gif rolling_smile.gif He won't, trust me wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0178 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]