Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> BF ...and eating more., Not losing weight! :(
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Apr 29 2003, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I know BF is suppose to help you lose weight, not the reason I chose to BF but a nice side effect. But, it doesn't seem to be working here. I seem to be hungry all the time. The more she nurses (which is a lot) the more I eat. Anyone else find this to be true, or is it just a mental thing with me?

Also, does your metabolism change after being PG? I used to be the type of person that could eat ANYTHING and not gain weight. You know the type. LOL. biggrin.gif However, I think I am making up for it now. I have been trying to lose weight without dieting since I am still nursing, but the scale is going the wrong direction. It must have been those potatoe burritos that I made. LOL

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Schnoogly
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

Group: Members
Member No.: 82

OMG I was going to post this same thing this morning. I gained about 45 lbs while PG, lost 20 right away (fluid, etc. plus I didn't eat much the first month--too much stress). But about the same time I started taking zoloft for PPD (about 6 weeks ago) my appetite came back big time! I thought it was the zoloft, but maybe it is the nursing?? Maybe zoloft just makes me feel normal enough to eat? I feel like a giant pig! I eat more than I did while PG. I am holding steady with my weight--no gain but no loss either. Everyone told me that BF would make me lose weight but I am eating soooooo much!

Has anyone tried weight watchers while nursing? I heard they have an online plan so you don't have to go to meetings and they support nursing while dieting. I have about 70 lbs to lose sad.gif (most of it pre-baby alas. another reason to wait a while for another one--I want to be close to healthy weight before I get PG again). I lost about 40 lbs before this PG doing ediets but they are super expensive now and they don't have a nursing plan.

DH lost 30 lbs on ediets too--and gained it all back with me!!! He doesn't even have nursing to help! rolleyes.gif

Steph wacko.gif

--------------------
Steph, mom to Iain born 12/24/02 whose heart was fixed 3-20-03
Iain's page & heart story & one ^i^ 9/04
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Schnoogly
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

Also, Mommy, do you ever wake up STARVING in the middle of the night???? Whenever Iain wakes up to nurse I think "No Fair, I'm hungry too!"

Bleh.

Steph

--------------------
user posted image

booey2
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

I wish I could have nursed, I am hypothyroid and it just didn't work with both my boys, but I am currently following ww (since June 2002) and the plan is awesome. The nursing plan is just more food, because you need food make milk. Have a look around their site Weight Watchers lots of good stuff there.

wavey.gif

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
supermom
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:10 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Yes, BTDT - giggle - and BF did help lose it (to a point) - I was exactly the same weight when I got PG with #2 and #3 as I was for number #1 - however, after #3 had a very hard time taking it all off.

One thing that did help a bit was I found that if I drank a BIG glass of water when I nursed, I wasn't so hungry all of the time. I think it was because I really was more thirsty than anything. I kept a bottle of water (1 liter size) by my bed and it was usually gone before morning.....

HTH - and good luck. I did hear that someone did have great luck with WW on this forum. Don't remember who it was, but it was a thread about a similar topic.

My doctor always said that it took "X" number of years to get to that weight, and it should take AT LEAST that long to take it off (to take it off 'safely').....

Good luck, I'll be right with you all in about 4 mos - I GOT to get this extra off this time!! <LOL>

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
momofajcl
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 43

Yup! Same problem here! I lost 25 from the time I had Nicholas until early December and then I stupidly let myself creep back up 10 lbs! banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif
Oh well...I know I can lose it...lost 30 lbs w/ediets before getting prego w/Nicholas. I'm trying really hard not to turn to fattening foods when hungry. I try to keep fruit and veggies to munch on in the afternoon. For lunch, I usually have a lean cuisene or heathy choice thing (like the HC French bread pizzas which are awesome). Every week I try to challenge myself...though I've been really lazy about this lately...and this week I chose to stop drinking my one coke a day sad.gif Also, to get on my treadmill 1/2 hour each day and drink only h20, besides my morning coffee. Yesterday was my first day at this new challenge and so far, so good rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Heather - mommy to 3 boys
Andrew (1/24/96)
Christian (1/16/98)
& Nicholas (9/20/02)

Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!
user posted image
Schnoogly
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:30 AM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 29 2003, 10:10 AM)

One thing that did help a bit was I found that if I drank a BIG glass of water when I nursed, I wasn't so hungry all of the time. I think it was because I really was more thirsty than anything. I kept a bottle of water (1 liter size) by my bed and it was usually gone before morning.....

My doctor always said that it took "X" number of years to get to that weight, and it should take AT LEAST that long to take it off (to take it off 'safely').....

Yeah, I drink all night long--water next to bed.

And if it takes X years then I'll be waiting a while--about 16 years--to get this off!!!!! Started gaining at puberty sad.gif

Steph

--------------------
user posted image
Schnoogly
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:32 AM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

QUOTE (booey2 @ Apr 29 2003, 10:04 AM)
I wish I could have nursed, I am hypothyroid and it just didn't work with both my boys, but I am currently following ww (since June 2002) and the plan is awesome. The nursing plan is just more food, because you need food make milk. Have a look around their site Weight Watchers lots of good stuff there.

wavey.gif

I'm so sorry--I know what it is like to have nursing problems--I have a very low supply because of Iain's early medical problems and it has been a constant struggle. It's still very depressing for me to not be able to exclusively breastfeed. I think it's awful when you want to breastfeed but can't--makes me jealous of all the moms who could have but chose to formula feed (not to flame, just MHO)

Steph

--------------------
user posted image
booey2
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:39 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (supermom @ Apr 29 2003, 01:10 PM)
I did hear that someone did have great luck with WW on this forum. Don't remember who it was, but it was a thread about a similar topic.

I don't know if it was me probably not, but I have lost 46 pounds since starting ww, if you have any questions I might be able to help.

--------------------
Terri

PMEmail PosterMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (Schnoogly @ Apr 29 2003, 01:32 PM)
I think it's awful when you want to breastfeed but can't--makes me jealous of all the moms who could have but chose to formula feed (not to flame, just MHO)

Steph

I agree with that... I started off breastfeeding, but stopped because I had to go back to work. I could have continued to pump, but it was just too much of a hassle. This baby though, I'm taking advantage of the full year of maternity leave, and I am NOT going back aftyer 2 1/2 months. Unless I physically can't do it, breastfeeding, here I come!

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
booey2
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:44 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (Schnoogly @ Apr 29 2003, 01:32 PM)

I'm so sorry--I know what it is like to have nursing problems--I have a very low supply because of Iain's early medical problems and it has been a constant struggle. It's still very depressing for me to not be able to exclusively breastfeed. I think it's awful when you want to breastfeed but can't--makes me jealous of all the moms who could have but chose to formula feed (not to flame, just MHO)

Steph

It was awful because everyone assumed that since I am well endowed that I should have been able to nurse. Luckily both sons took the formula like champs. I also was jealous of those who "chose" to formula feed without giving the breast a chance. (no flame here either, just my 2cents)

booey

--------------------
Terri

PMEmail PosterMSN
Schnoogly
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 09:48 AM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

I checked out the site and it looks great--I would never go to actual meetings!!

I am going to be a bridesmaid for a friend's wedding in August and the dress is this slinky spaghetti strap number--I don't want to be twice as big as the other bridesmaids!!

Steph

--------------------
user posted image
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 10:24 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for the site...gonna check it out. I am going to try to drink more water instead of my caffiene free rootbeer too!

Also, it's nice to know I am not alone! Hugs! grouphug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

booey2
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Apr 29 2003, 02:24 PM)
Thanks for the site...gonna check it out.  I am going to try to drink more water instead of my caffiene free rootbeer too!

Also, it's nice to know I am not alone!  Hugs!  grouphug.gif

The caffiene free rootbeer, as long as it is diet, is considered 0 points on ww plan, and you can even count some of it towards your daily water in take. Off topic here, I just learned that you should take you weight, divide it by 2 and then drink that much water in the equivalent ounces. ie: 200 pound person / 2 = 100 pounds = 100 ounces = 10-10ounce glasses of water a day. Just some info I thought you might like to have.

And remember you are neve alone in this stuff.

Terri/booey2
grouphug.gif back to you

--------------------
Terri

PMEmail PosterMSN

Schnoogly
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Todzilla!!!

QUOTE (booey2 @ Apr 29 2003, 11:31 AM)
ie: 200 pound person / 2 = 100 pounds = 100 ounces = 10-10ounce glasses of water a day. Just some info I thought you might like to have.

about the water--yes, I did this when I dieted before. It really does help and would be even better w/nursing.

But I can't tell you how much water I need to drink by this---then you all would know how much I weigh (gasp!). Just know that it is a LOT. Would fill a gallon milk jug at least!

Steph

--------------------
user posted image
CantWait
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

I don't know if it was the fact that I was 18 (very young) when I had Robbie and therefore could eat whatever I wanted or if indeed your metabolism changes after you have a baby and being pregnant, but I was in the same boat. I could eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted and stay at the same weight, now (or before I got pregnant this time at least) I gained so much weight and really had to watch what I ate and did. I shouldn't complain to much cause I wasn't that much overweight, only about 5 lbs or so, but I wasn't what I use to be. dry.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 11:25 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

Well.... I weighed 124 pounds when I got pg with Zach - that was after a battle with weight... I weighed 150 pounds at 13 years old. Now, I weigh 160ish (or thereabout) and would like to go back to at least 135.

I sure hope that after his baby I'll be able to go back to my pre-preg weight from before!!!! lol!!!!! I got 2 closets full of beautiful clothes that I can't wear, and I'm too stubborn to give them away or sell them....

*sigh* rolleyes.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Apr 29 2003, 04:00 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I think it was me who has had "great success with WW" but the other mommy has me beat! I'm still nursing and I'm still losing. Only 14 lbs to go to my goal weight! Woo hoo! rolling_smile.gif It has been pretty easy, it's all about making choices. For example, on Monday, I went to the grocery store. I had a taste for cookies. I only wanted one. Well, they only sell them in half dozens or more so I bought that....they were all gone by the time I got home so I had to have salad and veggies for dinner. I have no self control blush.gif

Also, I go to weigh in each week but I never stay for the meetings. Only because the leader gets on my nerves and is always trying to sell their "2 Point bars". Um Hello, The LAST thing I need is a box of yummy little morsels laying around my house. the first thing I thought when she was pushing them was "I can eat exactly 18.5 of those and use up all my points for the day"! LOL Anyway, they also have a "Family plan" so it's less expensive. My mom and I go (we claim to live in the same house) together and instead of being $12 apiece, it's only 6 for me. Finally, I do reccomend the weigh-ins. Again, I have no self control and I tend to start with a bang then stray quickly from diets. The weigh-ins have some accountablitiy and so they really work for me.

Good luck
Cary

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 30 2003, 07:46 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

I think it was me who has had "great success with WW" but the other mommy has me beat! I'm still nursing and I'm still losing. Only 14 lbs to go to my goal weight! Woo hoo!
partydance.gif partydance.gif Congrats...that is sooo awesome! thumb.gif way to go!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0140 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]