Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is this a clogged duct?
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Apr 1 2003, 08:50 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I mentioned earlier that Ashley is starting to favor one side. Well, on the other side, I have a spot that is sore and it feels like there is a knot or ball there. Pumping helped a little but it is still sore. What does a clogged duct feel/look like? What do you do for it?

TIA

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
HomeIsCool
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 30

Sounds like it ... you need to get some rest ... nurse like crazy (try to get her to take that side), apply moist heat and work it out. Once the plug is cleared, it will no longer be hard but will still be tender for up to 48 hours. Get plenty of water.

If you start to feel feverish, you have mastitis. The rest and water and nursing will be even more important and you may need an antibiotic to clear it up.

Take care!

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
supermom
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 09:52 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Like HomeIsCool said, it sure does sound like one. Sometimes a nice, long, warm shower with breast massage and expression (with the nice warm water directed to the sore spot) will help to get it moving again, too.

This next suggestion is borrowed, and I quote:
"You can also soak the breast in a bowl of warm epson salt water before feeding or pumping which has worked for many moms when other steps have failed. Add 2 Tbs. of ES to a 3 cup bowl and soak the breast for 5 minutes or so. Then while feeding or pumping you can massage the breast or you can massage while soaking."

If you begin to get feverish, especially with a high temp fast, call your doctor, because most likely antibiotics will be needed to help clear up the infection that can result (mastitis).

Whatever you do, don't let your Dr tell you that you have to quit nursing (have had one of my friends Dr do that to her) - that's the worst thing you can do in a case like this, and although it may hurt for a bit, giving up nursing will only prolong, not help cure, the problem.

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN

MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 11:43 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks for the advice... I'll let you know how it goes. smile.gif I knew I could count on you ladies.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

HomeIsCool
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Beverly ...

Where did you hear about espom salts? My concern would be that it could be drying and cause nipple problems and if she had even a slightly cracked nipple, which sometimes go along with plugged ducts, it could really hurt!

Also ... if you do that ... rinse your breat well before placing baby to it! smile.gif

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 06:15 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Just an update... I drank my water and I took a nice long warm shower while TLCDad watched Ashley. I started her out nursing on that side, but she didn't nurse there for long. Then, I pumped that side and kinda massaged where the "knot" was. It hurt for a while, but then I felt like a "pop" with my let down -- is that normal with a clogged duct? Anyways, the knot (it was more like a golf ball under the skin) is gone but it is still a little sore.

I haven't gotten to the rest part yet...hopefully Ashley will sleep tonight.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

supermom
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 06:49 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

To be honest with you, Dee Dee, I have never had one (thank goodness) but I would think that if they were plugged like that they would maybe pop?

The post I made earlier about the epsom salts came from breastfeeding.com. The link for that particular page that the suggestion came from is here:
http://www.breastfeeding.com/helpme/helpme...sklc_ans61.html

--------------------
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 06:58 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks... I appreciate all of your advice. I think things are getting better already. Maybe it wasn't clogged yet, jsut getting there? Or maybe not a bad clog..if there is such a thing. LOL.

But again, thanks for your help.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

HomeIsCool
Posted: Apr 1 2003, 07:39 PM
Quote Post

Dee Dee ...

Glad that it is clearing up! Some plugs are easy to clear out ... and others just sneak up on you. smile.gif The "popping" feeling is probably it clearing out. smile.gif

Keep up the good work!

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
supermom
Posted: Apr 4 2003, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Hey Dee Dee -
How is the place where you hurt before - is it cleared up and all better now? Just wondering if all of our "mothering" worked for you - lol

--------------------
and Emily, almost 2

MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 4 2003, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Feels much better and doing great so far! Thanks again for all your help and asking about me!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0117 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]