Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bruno
bluebear
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 05:21 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 22,716

did anybody see the Bruno movie starring Sacha Baron Cohen? the character is from his HBO show along with Borat and Ali G. i saw the movie in theaters and i loved it so much i saw it two more times. there were some things uncalled for, but he's showing all the bigotry coming from Americans with his stunts.
PMAOLYahooMSN
redchief
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 08:47 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

I saw Bruno and Borat. I thought Borat was very unique, though a little on the edge of decency. I also found it very funny despite myself. The thing about Borat was that once it was done, it was done. Shock comedy is just that. Once it was out there the shock wore off and it became less funny. At that point, on the 2nd and 3rd go rounds, it was the cultural comedy that was funny, preying on the silliness of the human condition in general.

Bruno attempts to play the reality shock card like Borat, but at this point it lacks uniqueness. So I was left with the dialogue which was nowhere near as topically funny as was the case with Borat. Ultimately I was disappointed with Bruno.

This post has been edited by redchief on Aug 12 2009, 08:48 AM

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
bluebear
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 09:19 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 22,716

QUOTE (redchief @ Aug 12 2009, 12:47 PM)
I saw Bruno and Borat. I thought Borat was very unique, though a little on the edge of decency. I also found it very funny despite myself. The thing about Borat was that once it was done, it was done. Shock comedy is just that. Once it was out there the shock wore off and it became less funny. At that point, on the 2nd and 3rd go rounds, it was the cultural comedy that was funny, preying on the silliness of the human condition in general.

Bruno attempts to play the reality shock card like Borat, but at this point it lacks uniqueness. So I was left with the dialogue which was nowhere near as topically funny as was the case with Borat. Ultimately I was disappointed with Bruno.

there are people out there that act just like Bruno does. Sacha Baron Cohen was showing how people react when faced with people behaving like that. the pastor has a website (and a video somewhere) explaining how he has had people like that coming to him so he believed it.
Have you ever seen the show they started off from?
PMAOLYahooMSN

redchief
Posted: Aug 12 2009, 05:16 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 800

QUOTE (bluebear @ Aug 12 2009, 01:19 PM)
QUOTE (redchief @ Aug 12 2009, 12:47 PM)

there are people out there that act just like Bruno does. Sacha Baron Cohen was showing how people react when faced with people behaving like that. the pastor has a website (and a video somewhere) explaining how he has had people like that coming to him so he believed it.
Have you ever seen the show they started off from?

Nope, and frankly the film didn't interest me enough to pursue it. That the character was different than Borat doesn't change the fact that the premise has been done before. In fact, the premise really began with Jacka++, and was polished in Borat. Again, I have a been there and done that reaction to the film.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
DVFlyer
Posted: Aug 13 2009, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

I wanted to like Borat but didn't find anything about it appealing... or really funny.

Because of that, I won't be seeing Bruno.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Aug 13 2009, 08:56 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I found Borat offensive, and disgusting. I will not be seeing Bruno.
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0142 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]