Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What curriculum(s) do you use?
msjennbug
Posted: Apr 15 2003, 09:40 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 113

Just curious who's out there homeschooling, what age/grade and what do you use?

This year I have a 2nd grader and a K. Next year I'll have K again with 1st and 3rd.

We use 100easy lessons and making math meaningful for K.
1st we used R&S english, MMM, and unit studies.
2nd we used r&s enlish and science, MMM and unit studies.

the plan for 3rd is r&s english and i DUNNO yet! LOL

how about yoU?
PMEmail Poster
+Zemirah+
Posted: May 12 2003, 11:30 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 51

smile.gif I have a 13yo, 11yo, 9yo, 7yo schooling

plus a 4 and a 2 yo tagging along and preschooling...

We use Rod and Staff English, Reading and Phonics, and R and S math through 5th grade. We loosely use The Weaver Unit Studies for everyone, and for everything besides English and Math, and then I supplement each child with grade-level Abeka Science texts (I find Weaver to be a bit incomplete in Science). We have used Saxon Math in 6th and 7th grades, so far. I'm not sure how well we are liking Saxon (I think it's alright, but my boys haven't cared for it much)... =/ I will be starting dd (age 7) on Miquon math this Fall, and we'll see how she likes it... I'm hoping she will really enjoy it because it so manipulative-based. My children also supplement History by reading biographies and good history "stories" and books (some of them very old by H.A. Gerber, some new like Joy Hakim's "History of US" series -- which we love because they tell history very much as story and they are captivating books). My eldest son is in American History now, and we use a series sold by Weaver as a companion to the Weaver units, which we really like. And otherwise -- they read read read. smile.gif We do use computer programs as well for all of them, to supplement, and they enjoy their computer time cool.gif

Strangely though, we "unschool" a fair amount too, if that makes ANY sense at all. LOL. Other than Math and English, mainly we use the materials we have as *we* want to use them, and view them as resources but not as a rigid plan we MUST follow to a tee. We generally are directed loosely by the topics in the unit study, yet we do spend a lot of time also just going where the children's interest takes us as we delve into subjects, etc., and we use a lot of real books and "delight-directed" learning as we go. We DO school all day long wink.gif but we enjoy it biggrin.gif

--------------------
Blessings,
Zem

Loving all our many babies... 6 born into my arms and 4 born into Heaven from my womb
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: May 13 2003, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

I'm not there yet... lol

But I do plan to do SOME home schooling. I am going to send my kids to regular school though.... lol I need SOME time to myself!! rolleyes.gif

But seriously...I'm interested in learning more about this kind of thing. I was considering sending Zach to a Montessori school next year (they can start at 18 months up here) but it's REALLY expensive, and I don't know that I want to spend that kind of money, when I can do the same thing at home...KWIM? Although it IS a tax deduction...hm.... lol

I've actually started gathering stuff, like notebooks, and child learning books and notebooks, and I've called the local public and catholic schools to see what kind of stuff they are teachin in the first couple grades. I knew how to read and write (simple stuff) at 3 years old, and with any luck, I can teach Zach as well - my brother still didn't know how to read properly at 7 years old, and I certainly don,t intend for my son to be held back from his potential because of school's method of teaching. If it comes to that, I have no qualms about pulling him out of school completely and teching him myself. I am a very patient person...but not when it comes to 'caca del Toro'.

biggrin.gif

What kind of things shold I be looking out for?

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0151 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]