Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> allergies
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:03 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

okay I suffer from seasonal allergies and to dust.

Dusting is very hard for me to do, hence I dont relaly dust often, DH or Kaitlyn does, well I want to deep clean/spring clean my house but my problem is 10 minutes into anything dusty and I am done I am sneezing myhead off and misarable for at least 24 hours. so I am looking for something to do/take to help me get more done at one time. here is the big problem I am sensitive to medications, meaning if it says non drousy I will be able to sleep in 15 minutes...I have tried several OTC meds and non seems to work with out making me fall asleep. does any one have any suggestions other than going to a doctor?

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,205

I too am highly allergic to dust and dust mites.
I find what really helps is one of those masks that construction workers wear over their mouths and noses. You can get them at Walgreens or ask your doctor if you can borrow one, they also wear them when they have to be around infectious people, although I've really only seen ER staff wearing them but I bet your doc will either have one or have access to one. They are disposable and reusable and not expensive.
HTH.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:11 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

I had wonderd if those woudl really help, I dont mind looking weird if I can get some of the cleaning out I need/want to do. do you find it just makes it less severe or have no symptoms?

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:13 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

It blocks out 100% of the allergens and makes my symptoms disappear, literally. I mean, if I'm already sneezing and wheezing and then put one on, then it's too late but if I put one on before I get too close to the dust then I never have a reaction.
It does get a bit hot and stuffy under there so if you have a big cleaning job then you may want to break it up into segments once you feel like you want to breathe without anything covering your face.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:21 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Yes, the masks DO work. I have severe allergies and the first year I was taking the shots the allergist recommended I wear the mask while mowing. I looked funny, but it helped. Every time I mow I get severe reactions, so that is why they told me to do it. That's what I'd recommend doing. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 10:30 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I have horrible allergies and there aren't a lot of meds that I can take without side effects either. However, Zyrtec seems to work for me and it is over the counter.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

ok sounds like I am going to try the masks, I woudl reather not take meds if I dont have to but I will try that one if this dont help.

thanks! I will see if I can get some on my way home and this weekend give them a try

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Apr 2 2009, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

The masks are a huge help, I never wore them for allergies but used to help DH clean up after doing drywall and I never once had any issue with the drywall dust getting through the mask.

I've only had slight allergies until now, this year they are AWFUL and I'm finding the Neti pot really helps...this morning after I dropped the kids off I could hardly open my eyes or quit sneezing but the rinse did the job, basically it rinses the irritants out of your nasal passages and I can't tell you how much better I felt afterwards.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0109 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]