Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> UNbelievable
Maddie&EthansMom
  Posted: Jun 9 2006, 04:45 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 235

One of my workout partners called me this morning to let me know she wouldn't be at the gym today in case I were to go up there. I was telling her that I had to stay for the garage sale and wouldn't be able to go and I asked her what her excuse was emlaugh.gif (hey, we need to keep each other in check wink.gif )

She went on to tell me that she got a call from one of the personal trainers last night. He knows her by association...this PT did her DH's body age assessment. Anyway, he accused her of 'training' people in their territory. huh.gif He said "You bring people up here and train them and it's taking business away from us." This makes absolutely NO sense to me whatsoever. Lisa was a fitness instructor for 21 years...she is not a personal trainer, but she is very knowledgeable when it comes to exercise and how to do things right. I've known Lisa since the beginning of the school year since our daughters go to school together and the same with our other workout partner. We are all really good friends and she is just helping us along. She isn't picking out random people and coaching them. We are there every single day and we talk about different things, but she will coach us...just like any friend or workout partner would who has more experience in these things. If she wanted to be a personal trainer she could have their job and get PAID for it. Why would she do it for free? rolleyes.gif

I thought it was very rude and very unprofessional. They needed to think before speaking. She is taking it to management tomorrow. I hope they set their PT's straight. dry.gif

Lisa knows a lot of people. She's lived here for a long time and she talks to everyone she knows about the gym. 5 people have joined under her...that's a huge business for them. They are shooting themselves in the foot if you ask me.

I told her we are going to continue as usual and just be right there in their face every single day. They can stick it. I'm fuming over this. Does it make any sense to you?
PMEmail Poster
Ashlynn's Mommy
Posted: Jun 9 2006, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,771

I also think it was rude an unprofessional. So what if she wants to help people out. I'm sure a few people is not going to hurt their business. What is she supposed to do when someone asks her a question about fitness? Ignore them? I think their acting stupid. I would give them a piece of my mind if I were her. wavey.gif

--------------------

user posted image
user posted image
PMUsers WebsiteAOLYahooMSN
mammag
Posted: Jun 9 2006, 05:28 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

That is just ridiculous! Is there a rule there that only those PT's are allowed to train people.....heck, even if she were charging I don't see what they can do about it. I find there a lot of people in the fitness industry who seem to think they are know so much more than anyone else.

Let us know what management says. They had no business at all calling her and saying that.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

redchief
Posted: Jun 9 2006, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

PT's have a territory? That's like saying a plumber has a territory. It's a fiction that simply doesn't exist.

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jun 9 2006, 06:31 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

I think that is crazy!! ITA, you should all just keeping doing exactly what you've been doing. Too bad if they don't like it.
PMEmail Poster
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Jun 9 2006, 06:42 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

Well, she actually mentioned that she was going to look at the contract or rules and guidelines to see if there is a written 'rule' or statement that you can't coach or train on their premises. I highly doubt it is in there. She is going to get what information she can before going to the higher ups. They have PT's on staff, but I don't think they get paid unless they get business, kwim?

I would never hire a PT. I just don't have an extra $300 lying around. And now I sure won't hire one and I certainly won't suggest any of them up there to anyone I know...not after this. I feel like letting management know that. Of course then I'd probably get kicked out and I love it too much. emlaugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Jun 9 2006, 07:44 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

After working in 2 gyms in the past, I see where they're coming from, but like you said, she's not there training people, she's there as a friend helping another friend. If she were taking money for your service say, then there probably is a written rule in the terms of service that says you can't do that, but helping out friends for free, that like I said is different. They should get their facts straight and ask before jumping to conclusions and upsetting their business. mad.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0182 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]