Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> home security, protection
boyohboyohboy
Posted: May 11 2009, 05:26 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,466

I need some ideas on what to get to have in the house for some protection when dh is at work. our street is getting worse and worse, and I cant figure out why..
but I am home alone the majority of the night with the boys. We have a lot of windows and doors on the first level and I am just starting to feel a little insecure.
I am not comfortable getting a gun with the kids this young, and also we dont have the money to spend on proper storage of one in a safe right now.
so I need some ideas of what people have in the home for protection.
I am considering some mace to keep near the doors and my bedroom, and maybe a baseball bat??
any ideas?

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
BAC'sMom
Posted: May 11 2009, 05:52 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

You could get a home security system. Or if you don't want to go that route you can buy the little alarms to go on windows or doors. They sell them at any Home Improvement Center.

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
stella6979
Posted: May 11 2009, 05:57 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 4,252

QUOTE (BAC'sMom @ May 11 2009, 05:52 AM)
You could get a home security system. Or if you don't want to go that route you can buy the little alarms to go on windows or doors. They sell them at any Home Improvement Center.

Those little sensor alarms are great! And they are extremely loud so you will definitely hear them. thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
Life is an incredible journey that is only enhanced by the people you share it with. ~ Rev Run
PMEmail Poster

boyohboyohboy
Posted: May 11 2009, 05:59 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (BAC'sMom @ May 11 2009, 08:52 AM)

we do have those little alarms on all the doors and window..
I cant do an alarm system as we rent.

but, my concern is that if someone tried to come in thru the window.
I know that if someone is determined enough they can get in, but I want something to have to protect us, until the police can get there.

my neighborhood was so nice when we moved in, its a brand new town house and single home developement..the prices were great, but what happened was, there are many many homes now filled with multi families in them, and most of them dont work...so the drug problem has increased, and the cops are here almost nightly.
I am concerned with the economy taking its toll on people, that some people might get desperate and would like to have something available to protect me and the kids.

--------------------

BAC'sMom
Posted: May 11 2009, 06:01 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 7,486

QUOTE (stella6979 @ May 11 2009, 08:57 AM)
QUOTE (BAC'sMom @ May 11 2009, 05:52 AM)

Those little sensor alarms are great! And they are extremely loud so you will definitely hear them. thumb.gif

They are cheap too. Under 10 bucks for 4, I think. There is an alarm, chime and off switch.

Edited to add because I didn't see your reply.

Baseball bats are cheap or you could get a dog

This post has been edited by BAC'sMom on May 11 2009, 06:03 AM

--------------------
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: May 11 2009, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

I am thinking about the dog..but was hoping for a solution that didnt require so much attention and up keep!

--------------------

cameragirl21
Posted: May 11 2009, 06:44 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

a German Shepherd...it doesn't get any better than that.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: May 11 2009, 07:06 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

Well you could get mace, or something like that, but that is no protection if the intruder has a gun and intends to harm you, not in a house where there's so many rooms and you don't know where they are coming from or if God forbid they had one of the kids with them. Now that may be a little extreme, but the topic I think calls for it and since you're weighing your options, it might be something to think about. I don't know what I would do to be honest.

I often wondered what would I do if someone broke in. Your first instinct would be to hide, or get the kids and hide, but I'm guessing non of our houses are that big where we can run around and grab all our kids and hide quietly unitl some intruder finds where we all our. unsure.gif

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 11 2009, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

There are professional grade wireless alarm systems you can buy where the sensors are applied with double sided tape. This would allow you to non-permanently (but securely) install the system in your rented home.

They can be monitored by a central monitoring company who can dispatch the police for about $8/ month and can be set up to call or text or email other places in the event of a break-in.

Pepper spray/ mace is not a bad idea as are other defensive measures as long as they are within reach at the time they are needed.

Nothing is fool proof so I think the most you can do is be prepared and aware and don't become a target. Lock your doors and windows. Keep lights on. Use motion sensing flood lights outside etc.

Another thought is to contact the local police and tell them about your concerns and see if they have any suggestions to help make your house safe.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:00 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

I have a metal base ball bat (and it's PINK!), pepper spray, and my phone right next to me. Not sure how well that'd work but I'm surrounded by marines who would come if they heard screaming! So I'm not too worried. rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by Calimama on May 11 2009, 08:00 AM
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 11 2009, 12:18 PM)
There are professional grade wireless alarm systems you can as are other defensive measures as long as they are within reach at the time they are needed.

Much better worded than I biggrin.gif

--------------------

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:05 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Calimama @ May 11 2009, 01:00 PM)
I'm surrounded by marines who would come if they heard screaming! So I'm not too worried. rolling_smile.gif

I hear that one. Aren't we lucky!!! emlaugh.gif emlaugh.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:06 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

QUOTE (CantWait @ May 11 2009, 08:05 AM)
I'm surrounded by marines who would come if they heard screaming! So I'm not too worried.  rolling_smile.gif

Yes! rolling_smile.gif I had a snake in my yard this morning and my friend and I started screaming and like 6 guys came out. SO useful. laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:08 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Calimama @ May 11 2009, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (CantWait @ May 11 2009, 08:05 AM)
I'm surrounded by marines who would come if they heard screaming! So I'm not too worried.  rolling_smile.gif

Yes! rolling_smile.gif I had a snake in my yard this morning and my friend and I started screaming and like 6 guys came out. SO useful. laugh.gif

laugh.gif emlaugh.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster

DVFlyer
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

QUOTE (CantWait @ May 11 2009, 08:03 AM)
There are professional grade wireless alarm systems you can  as are other defensive measures as long as they are within reach at the time they are needed.

I had to double check what I typed - I thought I typed what you quoted- and had to try and figure out what I was trying to say since that sentence doesn't make ANY sense. biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by DVFlyer on May 11 2009, 08:34 AM

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

Just a man

Forgot to add-

Here is where I bought mine (Visonic Powermax):

http://www.homesecuritystore.com/

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: May 11 2009, 08:43 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

A German Shepherd laugh.gif That's what I use thumb.gif thumb.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 11 2009, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

I was going to mention the wireless alarm systems too. You can definitely use those in rental properties. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: May 11 2009, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (DVFlyer @ May 11 2009, 01:30 PM)
QUOTE (CantWait @ May 11 2009, 08:03 AM)
There are professional grade wireless alarm systems you can  as are other defensive measures as long as they are within reach at the time they are needed.

I had to double check what I typed - I thought I typed what you quoted- and had to try and figure out what I was trying to say since that sentence doesn't make ANY sense. biggrin.gif

ohmy.gif blink.gif wacko.gif OMG what a quote......can I be charged for misquoteing you???? LOL that's awesome. I was refering to the part of the baseball bat, mace, whatever being within reach rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Parent-in-law
Posted: Jun 7 2012, 07:29 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 23,789

QUOTE (lovemy2 @ May 11 2009, 08:43 AM)
A German Shepherd laugh.gif That's what I use thumb.gif thumb.gif

a german shepard is good as a deterrent but it makes a way worse witness than surveillance footage biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0154 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]