Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Anxiety attacks
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Anyone have anxiety attacks? Do you take something for it? I went to see my allergist today because I've been having a lot of what I thought were asthma attacks, but I wasn't coughing. He said I was having anxiety attacks and gave me nerve pills to take when I have them. I'm a bit weirded by taking a nerve pill. I haven't filled the script yet.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
momofone
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 11:21 AM
Quote Post

Be Kind

Member No.: 11,030

I used to have those types of feelings a few years ago. I really had to evaluate my life a bit and realized I had myself spread out way too thin. I was a people pleaser. Once I started saying no to things and cutting back I really started feeling alot better.

I hope you feel better - do you feel spread out too thin at times . I think we all do at times. Do you have some "me" time for yourself? Maybe on the weekends even if it is a nice long walk alone it's nice.
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 11:32 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

I have had anxiety attacks but I get sick, and so does my dh he throws up.. he took anxiety pills because he had it so bad and it just basicly helped him learn to control it on his own (he is a LOT better now). I would talk to another dr. before filling the prescription unless you feel okay about it. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

lovemy2
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 11:45 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

I have had panic attacks in the past and had to take something when they happened cause I would end up in the hospital having major chest pains, etc. and once they started I couldn't stop them on my own - but it was all centered around the illness and death of my father - after he died and I knew he was at peace and no longer suffering they went away....see if you can pinpoint what triggers them - sometime changing those triggers (if possible - I know it isn't always possible) can help tremendously.... hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 11:54 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

When I stress out real bad the next day I wake up in the am and I have them
Numb and tinglie body and light headed like to pass out oh yeah what fun not!! I just try not to stress out any more and I've been fine so far

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I had panic attacks back when I was 18, my first year in college. I would breakout in a cold sweat and be short of breath. The room would sortof fade out and people's voices would sound muffled. I would get dry mouth and have to sit down and close my eyes. They typically pass quickly, but I do remember some lasting longer than others. I never took anything for them, but I think they were a symptom of my depression.

Does this sound similar?

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

When I get them (which has only started in the last year) I feel like I can't get a deep enough breath, I can breathe but I feel like I can't take the nice, calm, deep breath that would do the trick, kwim? And then it gets worse from there, I freak out and the harder I try to take a deep breath, the harder it gets.

I've used Colt's asthma inhaler a few times and it sort of helps. Mine are stress induced, although I can be sleeping perfectly well and wake up with one, and chest pains accompany them (but the chest pains are becoming more and more consistent)dry.gif I've only asked a dr about it once and he recommended therapy to find a coping system, which I haven't done.
PMEmail Poster
my2monkeyboys
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 01:16 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

I have them pretty regularly. Have since I was about 14-15. Mine are usually triggered by being very tired, like if I don't get enough sleep for 2-3 nights. When one starts I usually just remove myself from the place I am (I go outside if I'm at home, get out of the car if I'm riding) and then try to get to bed if I can or at least start reading a book to get my mind off of it. I almost always have them at home or in the car, and it's 99.9999% at night.
I was put on a low-dose Zoloft, but found it really didn't make that big of a difference, so I got off of them. I do have a low-dose of Xanax though for when I have a really bad one that I can't get hold of. I usually take half of the pill, and that helps without making me feel weird. I average probably 1-2 of those a month.
I hope this helps... you can PM me if you want.
hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

Karen, is it ativan? I sometimes still have some PTSS from an incident that happened when I was young. but thru counciling learned to deal with it thru deep breathing and relaxation tech. i used to take some ativan and it didnt do anything but make me a zombie, does the asthma dr know what other meds you take? i am sure you mentioned it, but just wanted to make sure. if you are interested in what i have learned feel free to pm me. I also agree that if you can find the route of what is causing the panic attacks, and deal with it in another way, its usually better. i know some need meds, and thats ok too, but if its possible to get away with it, i think thats best.
hug.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jamison'smama
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 02:45 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Oct 22 2007, 05:07 PM)
When I get them (which has only started in the last year) I feel like I can't get a deep enough breath, I can breathe but I feel like I can't take the nice, calm, deep breath that would do the trick, kwim? And then it gets worse from there, I freak out and the harder I try to take a deep breath, the harder it gets.

Wow, you just described mine to a T---I constantly take the deepest breath I can then I have to wait a few minutes before I am able to get another one deep enough. Mine is stress related too but once they get started they stay for awhile.

My doctor gave me Klonopin for when it is at it's peak. what did your doctor prescribe Karen?

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 04:47 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Jamison'smama @ Oct 22 2007, 05:45 PM)
When I get them (which has only started in the last year) I feel like I can't get a deep enough breath, I can breathe but I feel like I can't take the nice, calm, deep breath that would do the trick, kwim?  And then it gets worse from there, I freak out and the harder I try to take a deep breath, the harder it gets.

Wow, you just described mine to a T---I constantly take the deepest breath I can then I have to wait a few minutes before I am able to get another one deep enough. Mine is stress related too but once they get started they stay for awhile.

My doctor gave me Klonopin for when it is at it's peak. what did your doctor prescribe Karen?

This describes mine to a T too, except my heart also feels like it skips beats for what seems like too long. Then I freak out more and can't breathe even more. After I force myself to calm down it goes away like it didn't even happen. I had one the other night at bowling and there was no stressful event going on, kwim? I can see why some of my other episodes were more stress related, but they are happening when it doesn't appear to be a stressful situation.

I had thought about using my inhaler when I have these attacks, but the doc said it's good I didn't because they can sometimes make them even worse. He told me to practice belly breathing when they come on because that takes off the pressure from your chest. What you do is try to catch your breath when you have these attacks and the chest tightens up even more so if you do more belly breathing it will make the attack go away faster. He did also give me ativan for it. Is this stuff bad? I am trying to deal with them without any meds. I am already on an anti-depressant as a preventative measure against migraines.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Oct 22 2007, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

What is belly breathing? I need to know that if it will help sleep.gif
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 03:58 AM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

I know exactly what you are going through, I felt very strange about taking anti depressants and anti anxiety med, but they have helped me a lot. My anxiety ends up in my stomach and I have diarreah

good luck with the meds if you decide to take them or without if thats what your choose.

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 04:20 AM
Quote Post

Nothing like having a sister...

Member No.: 212

Belly breathing is basically breathing low or with your diaphram. I actually breath this way because of all the singing I do. We are born breathing this way and for some reason as we get older we start to take higher shallower breaths. Sometimes I feel myself doing this now and always feel short of breath because I wasn't breathing lower. There are some excercises that I have my students do to help them learn to breath this way. Huh in short spurts so you would be saying huh huh huh. You should feel your diaphram bouncing which is where you should be breathing. Just try breathing really deep.

I started having panic attacks right after Christmas last year. I was working really long hours at Target and just stressed to the max. I was just sitting there at the operators desk and just couldn't catch my breath. My heart was beating fast and I thought I was going to have a heart attack. Turns out I was having a panic attack. I started having them off and on for guite a bit there. I haven't had one in a while, but I did learn that taking in deep breaths helped when I was getting one.

--------------------
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 05:08 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 89

I teach those same exercises for my voice students.

A basic way to explain it would be that when you breathe, your belly expands rather than your chest rising and falling.

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 05:26 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Oct 23 2007, 08:08 AM)

A basic way to explain it would be that when you breathe, your belly expands rather than your chest rising and falling.

That's exactly right. He told me to lay down, put one hand on my belly and the other on my chest. Then breath pushing your belly in and out.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
ZandersMama
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

I have them almost daily since Zavier was born. sleep.gif I tried to talk to my doc about it but she just prescribed a high dose of ativan. I can't (won't) take them because i am alone with the kids all the time. I just try to cope with them, put the baby in his crib and settle zander in with a cartoon and so sit somewhere and settle down. Its scary though.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 05:36 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Oct 22 2007, 08:47 PM)
When I get them (which has only started in the last year) I feel like I can't get a deep enough breath, I can breathe but I feel like I can't take the nice, calm, deep breath that would do the trick, kwim?  And then it gets worse from there, I freak out and the harder I try to take a deep breath, the harder it gets.

This describes mine to a T too, except my heart also feels like it skips beats for what seems like too long. Then I freak out more and can't breathe even more. After I force myself to calm down it goes away like it didn't even happen. I had one the other night at bowling and there was no stressful event going on, kwim? I can see why some of my other episodes were more stress related, but they are happening when it doesn't appear to be a stressful situation.

I had thought about using my inhaler when I have these attacks, but the doc said it's good I didn't because they can sometimes make them even worse. He told me to practice belly breathing when they come on because that takes off the pressure from your chest. What you do is try to catch your breath when you have these attacks and the chest tightens up even more so if you do more belly breathing it will make the attack go away faster. He did also give me ativan for it. Is this stuff bad? I am trying to deal with them without any meds. I am already on an anti-depressant as a preventative measure against migraines.

karen, for me ativan 0.5mg wasnt to bad, but i wasnt on anything else either, but once it got to 1mg it started to make me feel like a zombie, i found myself staring at the tv a lot and not knowing how much time passed, or what was even going on around me.
but that was my own experience.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 05:39 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (calebsmom @ Oct 23 2007, 08:36 AM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Oct 22 2007, 08:47 PM)

karen, for me ativan 0.5mg wasnt to bad, but i wasnt on anything else either, but once it got to 1mg it started to make me feel like a zombie, i found myself staring at the tv a lot and not knowing how much time passed, or what was even going on around me.
but that was my own experience.

I left the script at home so I'm not sure of the dosage. Thanks for the heads up. I will definitely keep that in mind. Right now I'm able to control the attacks -- work through them. I hope that continues. I just wish I could catch them before they happen, kwim? Like the one at the bowling alley last week -- it hit me out of no where and I'm not even sure why.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MomToJade&Jordan
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 08:33 AM
Quote Post

Nothing like having a sister...

Member No.: 212

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Oct 23 2007, 09:26 AM)
QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Oct 23 2007, 08:08 AM)

That's exactly right. He told me to lay down, put one hand on my belly and the other on my chest. Then breath pushing your belly in and out.

When I was in college one of my voice teachers had me lay down on the floor with books on my belly. I was told to breath in and raise the books. Works pretty good actually. happy.gif

--------------------
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Lilypie6th to 18th Ticker

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.

I've been hugged by Lisa, Kelly, Jennifer, Erika, Jimmie, Nichole, Kimberly, and Tammy. Thanks ladies!
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
avory&samsmom
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 09:03 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 16,239

I've taken ativan for them. And I've been on Prozac for other issues. The only side effect was feeling sleepy. You gotta do what you're comfortable with though. The breathing and meditating stuff just didn't work for me, so I had to rely on meds. Hopefully you won't. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 10:02 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (avory&samsmom @ Oct 23 2007, 12:03 PM)
I've taken ativan for them. And I've been on Prozac for other issues. The only side effect was feeling sleepy. You gotta do what you're comfortable with though. The breathing and meditating stuff just didn't work for me, so I had to rely on meds. Hopefully you won't. hug.gif

Sleepy? Ugh. I don't want to take that stuff then sad.gif I already battle tiredness with my allergies. I battle that so bad (along with winter blues) that it seems like I'm sleeping more than awake and that's a problem with two kids. sleep.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 12:55 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

QUOTE (ediep @ Oct 23 2007, 06:58 AM)
I know exactly what you are going through, I felt very strange about taking anti depressants and anti anxiety med, but they have helped me a lot. My anxiety ends up in my stomach and I have diarreah

good luck with the meds if you decide to take them or without if thats what your choose.

Really? This is weird because I get diarrhea a lot and my diet never changes. But I don't have an anxiius feeling. Do you? Gosh this place is better than Web MD.

karen sorry I can't be of more help, I'm not really sure but I wanted to offer hug.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
luvmykids
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 01:18 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Oct 23 2007, 02:55 PM)
I know exactly what you are going through, I felt very strange about taking anti depressants and anti anxiety med, but they have helped me  a lot.  My anxiety ends up in my stomach and I have diarreah

Really? This is weird because I get diarrhea a lot and my diet never changes. But I don't have an anxiius feeling. Do you? Gosh this place is better than Web MD.

karen sorry I can't be of more help, I'm not really sure but I wanted to offer hug.gif

Me too, but in my case it's Irritable Bowel Syndrome (lovely, I know laugh.gif ) I know you've mentioned in the past that you eat a lot of fast food, which is a major culprit for me rolleyes.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Oct 23 2007, 01:25 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Oct 23 2007, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (My2Beauties @ Oct 23 2007, 02:55 PM)
I know exactly what you are going through, I felt very strange about taking anti depressants and anti anxiety med, but they have helped me  a lot.  My anxiety ends up in my stomach and I have diarreah

Me too, but in my case it's Irritable Bowel Syndrome (lovely, I know laugh.gif ) I know you've mentioned in the past that you eat a lot of fast food, which is a major culprit for me rolleyes.gif

I have IBS, too. I was diagnosed that just recently. It actually started back around Mother's Day when I got a terrible virus and later was diagnosed with an ulcer but other symptoms did not go away - the IBS. rolleyes.gif

ETA: My mom had IBS and it was always triggered by anxiety attacks.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Oct 23 2007, 01:26 PM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0246 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]