Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I'm a mess right now...
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:09 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

A few weeks ago, I had an allergic reaction to something. I had a rash that the doc said was contact dermetitis. So, they gave me a steroid shot and pills to follow up with. Then, some of you may remember me telling you about my episode on the way back from Kentucky... where I stopped at the E.R. on the way home. We stopped because I felt so bad... light headed, numbness, extremely dry mouth, and like I was going to pass out. The docs in the E.R. ran some tests and they deremined it was a virus. A few days later I followed up with my family doc who then said I had an ear and sinus infection as well and prescribed an antibiotic and allegra for my allergies. My menstrual cycle was very long and heavy and I got thrush from the steroids/antibiotics. I was given Nystatin followed by dyflucan for the thrush. Now, only a few weeks later, I am spotting again. I went back to see my doc who thinks that my cycle is all out of wack because of the steroids and the antibiotics. However, they are running some test just to be sure it is not blood in the urine and stool (sorry tmi). I think I make the condition worse because I lay in bed at night thinking the worst thoughts. I literally shake in bed. DH does a pretty good job of calming me down, but he has to sleep sometime. I haven't been getting much sleep and I have lost about 10 lbs in two weeks. At my last doc appointment, he was also concerned about my blood pressure. I have never had problems with my blood pressure, so I am sure it is all the stress I have put on myself worrying about all this. The doc suggested that I buy a home kit to monitor my blood pressure. So, now I am worried about my blood pressure as well. So... that's where I've been. Thanks for being here and listening. And, just curious, has anyone had steriods or antibiotics mess with their cycle like this?

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:12 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,075

hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

Stress can make your body do crazy things. Try to relax and I am sure you will get back to normal quicker than you can say .... Carrot Stick ... smile.gif

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:30 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

steroids are horrible on the body. I don't remember if they ever messed with my cycle, but I do know that they made me feel really weird, and hyper, like I just couldn't sit still, and made my bones and joints ache really bad.
Also when you start taking multiple medications strange things can happen. Maybe something you took reacted with something else and now you are trying to get back to normal again? stress is also really bad for you. hug.gif I hope you get some answers soon.
PM

DansMom
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:43 AM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 223

Oh Dee Dee! I'm sorry you've been struggling with these issues. hug.gif

Yes, steroids can really do a number on your health. They are hormones---they can certainly affect your menstrual cycle. Also, a little-known fact is that they can cause diabetes, and hypertension. My cat was made diabetic by a cortizone shot, believe it or not. Steroids can "unmask" a predisposition to these diseases. The good news is that the body can go back to normal if you remove the steroid, especially in younger, basically healthy people.

http://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/200...o-rsh071703.php

Sometimes traditional meds can be like using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito. Perhaps you can talk to your doc about gentler ways to treat allergies, if steroids are causing these other problems. Many hugs hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

steriods nor antibiotics never did that to me but not saying it couldnt to you
I think its stress try to relax

Now I know in my early 30's my cycle went crazy and very heavy and they did a DNC and its been fine since well until I had surgry in March blink.gif

I hope they get to the bottom of this try to be calm
hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:47 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (DansMom @ Jul 10 2007, 10:43 AM)
Sometimes traditional meds can be like using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito.  Perhaps you can talk to your doc about gentler ways to treat allergies, if steroids are causing these other problems.  Many hugs  hug.gif  hug.gif  hug.gif

I had actually gone to an Urgent Care because it was on the weekend and the rash was driving me nuts. I also wanted to make sure it wasn't something that Ashley or anyone else could catch. If this happens again, I will be sure to tell them no to the steroids!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

Oh my Dee Dee, I'm so sorry! hug.gif hug.gif You poor thing. I don't have any advice, but hang in there okay. I'll be thinking about you and praying for a speedy recovery! hug.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
redchief
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 07:18 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 800

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Jul 10 2007, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (DansMom @ Jul 10 2007, 10:43 AM)
Sometimes traditional meds can be like using a sledgehammer to kill a mosquito.  Perhaps you can talk to your doc about gentler ways to treat allergies, if steroids are causing these other problems.  Many hugs  hug.gif  hug.gif  hug.gif

I had actually gone to an Urgent Care because it was on the weekend and the rash was driving me nuts. I was also wanted to make sure it wasn't something that Ashley or anyone else could catch. Next time, I will be sure to tell them no to the steroids!

Steroids are the typical treatment for onset of most general allergies. It's also true that they can mess up your system, causing chemical imbalances and such. There is some evidence that elevated corticosteroid levels may be a trigger for onset of type 2 diabetes, but the medical community is pretty solid that steroids don't CAUSE diabetes. At any rate, it seems to me you're doing all of the right things. If the doctor recommends a home blood pressure monitor, please get one. hug.gif It could be that your blood pressure is up due to stress, but stress induced hypertension is nearly always a temporary condition that goes away. If your blood pressure is staying up, then there's most likely another cause. I'm borderline hypertensive with a family history of high blood pressure, so I have to watch mine as well.

Dee Dee, I understand your worry, but you're doing everything you should be doing. It could take a while for you to start feeling truly like yourself again, especially with the new medications and all, so try to give yourself a little bit of adjustment time. hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------

Ed is husband to Lisa (since 1983)
Dad to Ricky, John, Erin and Kaitlin

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterAOLYahooMSN
jcc64
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Oh Dee Dee, I'm sorry you haven't been well. I know how it is to let your thoughts run away from you at night when it's quiet, and believe me, that can become a problem in and of itself if it goes on for too long (but that's a subject for another thread).
The simple fact is that you took alot of different meds in a short period of time, and your body got overwhelmed. It's not weird- your immune system is working overtime to deal with all the external and internal stimulus. One thing I like to keep in mind- drs prescribe drugs- those are the tools of their trade, and some are more heavy handed than others. I think they often feel some sort of unspoken obligation to "do something", when very often, time and your own body's natural defenses would have been good enough- probably better than the drugs in many cases. When they start prescribing drugs to counteract the side effects of the other drugs, it's time to take a little stock. It's well established that anti-biotics cause yeast infections, and it was prudent for your dr to prescribe nystatin for your thrush, but maybe the impulse to prescribe the antibiotics in the first place was well, impulsive. Antibiotics are very powerful meds- we take them for granted b/c they're so common now, but they can wreak havoc with an otherwise healthy immune system like your own. Most ear infections will clear up on their own but are never given the chance to do so b/c they are routinely treated with antibiotics. And what alot of drs call "sinus infections" are more often than not- viral. Did your dr actually do labwork that indicated the presence of bacteria? Most do not- in the interest of time and expense- but that is the only bona fide way of knowing whether or not you actually would benefit from the meds.
The point of all of this rambling is that I think there is alot of misinformation out there about common infections and allergies, and as laypeople, we are not always equipped to disseminate medical information. But the drs should know better, and I think a healthy dose of caution when presribing ANYTHING is prudent. My dh and ds both have pretty significant allergies too. Steroids are not the front line treatment and shouldn't be- they're very powerful medications that can mess up multiple body systems, as you have experienced. My dh said they also made him feel like he was, for lack of a better way to desribe it, tripping on LSD. The fact that your af is messed up as a result of steroids isn't weird, Dee Dee. It's a wacky med, I'm telling you. I think they could and should have let the allergy meds work for awhile before resorting to the prednisone so quickly.
About the bp, I have 'white coat hypertension'- mine goes up in dr's offices, and when my anxiety is getting the better of me. The only way to know for sure is to get a home bp kit- and take it once a day, same time every day, and chart it for a few weeks. That's how I discovered that mine is normally- normal. It's probably just stress, Dee Dee. But I'd get a home kit just for your own piece of mind- they run @ $35 and are really easy to use.
Big hug.gif I hope it didn't come off like a lecture. I just feel badly for you- b/c you're doing all the right things- and you're trusting your drs, but unfortunately, sometimes you have to approach their "solutions" with a healthy dose of skepticism.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 07:28 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

Wow -- sounds like you've been through alot. I hope you are feeling better soon.

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jul 10 2007, 07:41 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

hug.gif hug.gif Oh honey thats not fun at all, I'm saying prayers for you that things get back to normal soon!!! hug.gif hug.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jul 11 2007, 01:58 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

We were gone for awhile but I wondered how you've been~then I spotted your post. UGH! hug.gif Hope you feel better soon!! hug.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
momofone
Posted: Jul 11 2007, 01:59 PM
Quote Post

Be Kind

Member No.: 11,030

I know alot of cold medicines can raise blood pressure.
Hope you feel better soon. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
ediep
Posted: Jul 11 2007, 05:03 PM
Quote Post

Jason's mommy

Member No.: 81

so sorry DeeDee, I know how it feels when you don't know where your illness ends and your anxiety begins. hug.gif

Hope you feel better soon. hug.gif

--------------------
~*~*~*~Edie, Jason 9/23/02, and Emma 11/19/06~*~*~*~

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take trolls and violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a troll post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post
PMAOLYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0175 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]