Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> All natural cleaners
luvmykids
Posted: Feb 9 2009, 01:29 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Feb 2 2009, 12:44 AM)
QUOTE (luvmykids @ Feb 2 2009, 01:16 AM)
I don't think there is a product out there that beats vinegar and newspaper for windows.  I tried the soapnuts and wasn't that impressed, but maybe it was my machine.  I might try them again now that I have a new machine.

what didn't you like about them?
Most people I talk to don't like them because they don't make your clothes smell pretty. but, thats the point of the nuts. laugh.gif

While I admit I do enjoy a good smelling softener laugh.gif , I just didn't feel like the clothes were all that clean...I found myself having to re-wash a lot of the kids stuff. Maybe I was using too few nuts for the size load I was running or something...

eta: I forgot the whole reason I came back to this thread rolleyes.gif How long does the essential oil last, how many bottles of cleaner or uses to you get out of a bottle? And does the scent linger about like other cleaning products?

This post has been edited by luvmykids on Feb 9 2009, 01:31 PM
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 9 2009, 03:14 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I use a few different EO's so its not like I am going back to the one bottle over and over, but I am 1/2 way through my 2nd bottle of tea tree oil since going green, so about 6 months ish? my EO's go a loooooong ways, I bet you could get 6 mos to a year out of a single bottle depending on what you use it for.
I don't use it in my laundry, but my house still smells like it in the afternoon if I clean in the morning. I esp. notice it if I leave the house then come back.

as for the nuts, I use 3 in a large load on warm wash cold rinse 4 times. Then I save up the used ones. When I have a bunch I boil them down and make soap nut liquid with them for good measure before composting them.
PM
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Feb 9 2009, 03:16 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

This is going to be a reallllly stupid question, but - how do you know when you've used your soap nuts 4 times? Is there a way to tell they are 'done' so to speak, or do you just remember that it's time to change them? I could totally see myself forgetting and wondering 3 weeks later why my clothes aren't getting clean. tongue.gif
PMEmail Poster

PrairieMom
Posted: Feb 9 2009, 07:17 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (My3LilMonkeys @ Feb 9 2009, 06:16 PM)
This is going to be a reallllly stupid question, but - how do you know when you've used your soap nuts 4 times? Is there a way to tell they are 'done' so to speak, or do you just remember that it's time to change them? I could totally see myself forgetting and wondering 3 weeks later why my clothes aren't getting clean. tongue.gif

not a stupid question, and I have come up with a completely brilliant solution that only took me 6 months to figure out.
when I put new nuts in the bag I tie 4 knots in the draw string. each time I use the bag I untie one Knot. when I untie the last one, it can be opened, and I know to get new nuts.
I usually have at least 3 bags of nuts going because they get stuck in my clothes and end up in the dryer. I don't usually find the bag until I am folding laundry. rolleyes.gif You can tell the nuts are used up because they get kind of yellow/ greyish and mushy
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0116 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]