Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Another question, BFing and pain
MamaMartie
  Posted: May 20 2003, 01:03 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 118

unsure.gif I know this probably gets asked a lot. I've read that some amount of pain in the begining is normal. Sometimes when Hannah first latches on my nipple hurts, kind of burns. It doesn't last long, but ouch!

She looks like she is latching on correctly and feeding well. I just wanted to know if this is normal and how long it lasts. I use Lanolin so I don't have any cracking/bleeding issues. In fact my nipples look fine, so I pretty much think it must be a normal bfing thing that resolves itself over time. Am I right?

--------------------
Martie
Lucky Mommy to:

Jared 2/18/97

Meggie 2/18/99
Joey 7/12/00
Hannah 5/1/03
Gabriella Claire due 3/20/05

PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: May 20 2003, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

Ya, I had the same thing happen for about a week or so then it went away, it had come back every so often, so I just use the lanolin and that seems to really help. If it last longer than a week or so I would probably call your doc or LC.

HTH

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
dhoppygirl
  Posted: May 20 2003, 01:50 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 52

I had the same thing..It is just your nipple getting used to being sucked! I don't remember how long mine lasted..one day, I realized, hey that didn't hurt when he latched on!! I don't think it last for more than a week or two, though.
Oh, and isn't Lanolin such a great product? I was glad I didn't have to go through the pain of cracked and dried nipples!!

--------------------
Dawn
Mom to Peyton 9/23/2002, Sydney 3/30/2004 and Connor 11/15/2005
PMEmail PosterYahoo

shelrae00
Posted: May 20 2003, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 60

I went thru the same thing as well the 1st month and a half or so. I would almost come up out of the couch when she would latch on. But it eventually stops. Last week when she was sick and nursing a lot more though it hurt again I guess because she was on SO much! But your body will adjust! Good luck smile.gif

Shelly

--------------------
Shelly and Sarynn (9/18/02)
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
supermom
Posted: May 20 2003, 02:01 PM
Quote Post

Me too, Me too!!

Member No.: 26

Yep, and sometimes if Anders chooses to nurse, nurse, nurse (he's 3 and usually only nurses 3X a day, for a short time, but if he's sick, well, then that extends to 5-6 times and longer) and when he does that I start to hurt again, but not near as long as in the beginning.

But it shouldn't last for long, maybe a month or two in your case since she is still feeding long. The lanolin will help with that too, sometimes, but since you are already doing that, that is good (also good for what you mentioned, the cracked nipples - glad those aren't an issue with you!)

I applaud you again for hanging in there, it's such a wonderful relationship to have with your kids.....

One thing for future reference, I did the "toughening up" in the shower with a washcloth for about two weeks before the babe was due and didn't have as much pain as I did with the other one that I didn't "toughen" with.

--------------------
Beverly, DH Eje, and mom to PJ, 20 Leah, 18 Sara, 16 Anders, 5
and Emily, almost 2

"A mother holds her children's hands for just a little while, but she holds their hearts forever."
"You must be the change you wish to see in the world." - Gandhi
"Adolescence is a period of rapid changes. Between the ages of 12 and 17, for example, a parent ages as much as 20 years."
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteICQMSN
MamaMartie
  Posted: May 21 2003, 04:38 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 118

smile.gif Thanks everyone, it is always nice to heard that an experience is normal, and won't last forever. The pain seemed a little better last night and this morning, so hopefully I won't hurt by the end of the week.

--------------------
Martie
Lucky Mommy to:

Jared 2/18/97

Meggie 2/18/99
Joey 7/12/00
Hannah 5/1/03
Gabriella Claire due 3/20/05

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 21 2003, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Sorry for the delay in responding, I have been MIA most of the day. But, like everyone else, I had some discomfort for the first couple of weeks, but then it got better. I was told that this is normal in the beginning until your nipples "toughen" up. smile.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0130 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]