Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Transitioning back into school routine?
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 10 2009, 01:35 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

So how do you transition back into the school routine? Or do you even have to? Do you do it a week before? Earlier?

Kylie starts back at school on August 24 and Megan starts back September 8. I keep thinking I should start back up the night routine next week so she has a week to get back into things again. I'm not so worried about the night routine, because she does that fine and the same during school. It's the morning routine. Right now she's still slow and we don't get out of the house until between 7:20 and 7:40 and well, the bus would be here around 7:15 to 7:25 so I know we need to work on morning routine -- getting up earlier, etc.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 10 2009, 03:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I started enforcing bedtime at 9:30 last week, and getting up at 8. This week we have cheer camp at 8am so bedtime is 9, getting up at 7. The next few weeks until school we'll get back to bedtime routines with bath, books etc and being in bed by 8, asleep by 8:30 and getting up around 6:30, eating, getting dressed, etc.
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Aug 10 2009, 03:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

even though we tried to let the kids stay up later and sleep in over the summer they never really did, so we are on the school schedule already.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

A&A'smommy
Posted: Aug 10 2009, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

holy crap Alyssa starts tomorrow

Honestly we are going to spend the next two weeks maybe longer getting use to being back in school rolleyes.gif BUT on the good note Alyssa has been going to bed at 8pm since summer started it was rare that I let her stay up late.. and she has only slept past 8 a few times and those few times were rare

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 10 2009, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley has been staying up late all summer...she's been going to bed between 10 pm and midnight. We've just had a lot going on and just get settled in about that time. She starts back to school next week, so we've been trying to go to bed by 8:30 all this week but 8:00 will be her bedtime when school starts.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 10:38 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Aug 10 2009, 06:18 PM)
even though we tried to let the kids stay up later and sleep in over the summer they never really did, so we are on the school schedule already.

Did I forget to mention that part in my "training"? tongue.gif

We never venture off our schedule, 7-7 is our lives!

But Jack is afternoon K so I guess he is good to go, although he believes it is "not necessary" to go to school rolleyes.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 01:38 PM)

But Jack is afternoon K so I guess he is good to go, although he believes it is "not necessary" to go to school rolleyes.gif

He only goes 1/2 day? Is that by choice or is that how they do it there? We have a choice of 1/2 day or full day K here, but the kids really pay dearly for only going 1/2 day - - they miss out on a lot.

Our kids have been going to bed about the same time every night, except on weekends and they've NEVER slept in late rolleyes.gif tongue.gif (well rarely). It's just that they both are slow pokes in the morning so that's our issue -- morning time.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Aug 11 2009, 10:58 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
A&A'smommy
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 11:05 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 243

Well I will tell you today was WAY too easy, Alyssa went to bed last night and got up easy today. And I have transitioned pretty well today also I'm more awake than I have been in a while.. Although i would LOVE a nap

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 11:10 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 11 2009, 02:58 PM)

He only goes 1/2 day? Is that by choice or is that how they do it there? We have a choice of 1/2 day or full day K here, but the kids really pay dearly for only going 1/2 day - - they miss out on a lot.

Our kids have been going to bed about the same time every night, except on weekends and they've NEVER slept in late rolleyes.gif tongue.gif (well rarely). It's just that they both are slow pokes in the morning so that's our issue -- morning time.

We are out the door 30-minutes after Ashley wakes up. She gets up, eats breakfast, gets dressed, brushes her teeth and is out the door. We do as much as possible the night before -- set out her clothes including shoes, make sure her backpack is ready to go with all her homework, and if she is packing that day, I try to prepare as much as possible the night before. The TV can be a distraction, so avoid that in the morning if you are in a hurry. I also get up before her and get myself ready before I even wake her up so I am not trying to get ready at the same time. I just have to pack her lunch and out the door we go.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 11:20 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 11 2009, 02:10 PM)
The TV can be a distraction, so avoid that in the morning if you are in a hurry. I also get up before her and get myself ready before I even wake her up so I am not trying to get ready at the same time.

Here too, the tv doesn't even come on during school mornings. If they're ready a few minutes early they can do something else but only if they have shoes on, teeth brushed, etc....And if I'm not already done with whatever hair/make up or whatever else, it's not getting done, I get up about an hour before them.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Aug 11 2009, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 11 2009, 02:58 PM)

We are out the door 30-minutes after Ashley wakes up. She gets up, eats breakfast, gets dressed, brushes her teeth and is out the door. We do as much as possible the night before -- set out her clothes including shoes, make sure her backpack is ready to go with all her homework, and if she is packing that day, I try to prepare as much as possible the night before. The TV can be a distraction, so avoid that in the morning if you are in a hurry. I also get up before her and get myself ready before I even wake her up so I am not trying to get ready at the same time. I just have to pack her lunch and out the door we go.

Yeah, we already do that. I get up at 6 am, take shower, walk dog, do all my things, then at 6:35 to 6:40 I get the girls up, give them their clothes (or they pick them out, which takes less than 5 minutes these days) -- they get dressed while I fix their breakfast. They are eating breakfast by 6:55 at the latest.......it's eating that takes time.

Ashley must either scarf her breakfast down or not each much? There is no way I could even just get dressed, eat, get my teeth brushed and out the door in 30 minutes without scarfing a breakfast down or not eating much. laugh.gif

My kids also like to talk in the morning about their day ahead. Getting up at 6:35 they have 45 minutes or a bit more to do what they need to do, but it's not enough time. Like I said it's breakfast. I don't want them rushing to eat anyways, as they either wouldn't finish and go to school hungry or with a stomach ache. There is never a tv on in the morning -- no need too, we talk enough. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 11:58 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 11 2009, 01:58 PM)

Yes Kindergarten is only half days here, always has been. I actually think growing up I went every other full day, so six of one and lahf dozen of the other really........so yes, half dalys kindergarten.

i don't think I have any effects from only half time.......maybe I do, not sure tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 02:58 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Aug 11 2009, 01:58 PM)

Yes Kindergarten is only half days here, always has been. I actually think growing up I went every other full day, so six of one and lahf dozen of the other really........so yes, half dalys kindergarten.

i don't think I have any effects from only half time.......maybe I do, not sure tongue.gif

No, I would think you wouldn't have had any affects from going the way you did, just as I only went 1/2 day and didn't either. What I'm talking about is the schools that do offer both, 1/2 and full day -- the kids that go 1/2 day miss 1/2 days of lessons -- usually it's art, PE, computer, etc, but still teachers say it makes kids feel like they've missed out and that affects them mentally. ETA: This is why i asked if they offered both. happy.gif

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Aug 11 2009, 12:00 PM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 12:15 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Oh.....in my city it is half days only and I didn't get to pick which half. it is determined by where you live. So where I live it is afternoon only classes at this particular school

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 12:48 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 03:15 PM)
Oh.....in my city it is half days only and I didn't get to pick which half. it is determined by where you live. So where I live it is afternoon only classes at this particular school

Yeah, I'm sure he doesn't miss anything because they have 2 classes a day and are probably taught the same in each....much different than around here. If you choose 1/2 day, they decide whether they go in morning or afternoon, but it's like seeing a movie. If you only come to the 1st hour of the movie, that's all you see, -- same goes for the last 1/2 of the movie -- so you are missing something. Whereas in your situation, I'm sure it's not that way.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

No, it would be 2 seperate classes, he isnt' missing a thing.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:02 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 03:50 PM)
No, it would be 2 seperate classes, he isnt' missing a thing.

That's what I thought after reading your replies. I just wasn't sure (in the beginning) if it was a choice to go 1/2 day or not. Now I know. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Oh and have I mentioned it it seriously the oldest school in the whole city, yeah!!!! bawling.gif All great reviews, but it is so old ad from the outside looks gross. Tom always takes that route when we go to the river so I can see the "lovely school" as Jack says................BLAH YUCK

I am sure I will get over it

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:07 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 04:04 PM)
Oh and have I mentioned it it seriously the oldest school in the whole city, yeah!!!! bawling.gif All great reviews, but it is so old ad from the outside looks gross. Tom always takes that route when we go to the river so I can see the "lovely school" as Jack says................BLAH YUCK

laugh.gif Does it still have all the modern conveniences?

The only complaint I have about ours is no air conditioning in the classrooms. dry.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:15 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Yes it has everything, and inside isn't near as bad as outside....I will have to take a pic for you guys - seriusly you would think I live in the total slums looking at this school. Now this is the desginated school for most of the outer edge communities in the burbs......off becaus eit is almost an inner city school. But I will have to take a pic - it is HORRIBLE!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:27 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 04:15 PM)
Yes it has everything, and inside isn't near as bad as outside....I will have to take a pic for you guys - seriusly you would think I live in the total slums looking at this school. Now this is the desginated school for most of the outer edge communities in the burbs......off becaus eit is almost an inner city school. But I will have to take a pic - it is HORRIBLE!

Yes, let's see pics. thumb.gif tongue.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:30 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 04:04 PM)

I thought that when I saw the kids' school, I literally cried and thought "I cannot send my kids there!" because it looked so run down, dirty, old, etc. But the teachers are FAB, and they're waaaay ahead of our old school with technology and things. Plus, we're building a new school to be finished at spring break next year and by the time I found that out, I was actually sad laugh.gif because the old school has so much history. They have classmates whose great grandparents went to that school!
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 11 2009, 01:44 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b110/

and here is the community we live in.......just the community website.

http://valleyridgeestates.com/home.htm

This post has been edited by moped on Aug 11 2009, 01:48 PM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 17 2009, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Aug 11 2009, 04:44 PM)
http://schools.cbe.ab.ca/b110/

and here is the community we live in.......just the community website.

http://valleyridgeestates.com/home.htm

If that is a pic of your school.......I think it's fine. If that is what you consider old and yucky looking.....almost all of our schools look that way. There are rarely any new schools around us. Well, our district built a new grade school attached to the old school, but the look of it isn't anything fashionable looking. tongue.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Aug 24 2009, 12:11 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

I didn't think the school looked that bad, I couldn't really tell from that pic.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0189 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]