Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Speaking of back to school clothes
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 05:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Does anyone NOT buy back to school clothes? Last year I bought 5 new outfits a piece for the girls - summer ones, though because it was still hot and was going to be for some time. Was so dumb on my part because they had a ton of summer clothes that were still in good shape and so they didn't really get good use out of those 5 outfits, plus when it turned chilly I had to run back out and buy all new clothes again. wacko.gif

This year I've decided to be conservative and just buy the "1st day" outfit for them and I literally got them for under $5 on the Macy's clearance racks. tongue.gif Then I'll go out and get clothes once it gets colder. They really don't need new/fall stuff until at least October usually.

Just wondering if anyone else does the same? I mean, I love the fun of going school clothing shopping before school starts, but it seems like such a waste of money - at least for our family. As it is they have so many summer clothes I barely seem them wear them all.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
amymom
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

The kids!!

Member No.: 1,308

I never have bought clothes for back to school. I do not understand the whole concept. I buy clothes when we need them.

ETA:
This year with Billy going off to college, I will probably buy him new uw & socks since he will be away, but other than that no... no new clothes unless they are needed.

This post has been edited by amymom on Jul 16 2009, 05:42 AM

--------------------

Anne Marie
Mom to Billy & Mary Beth
Wife to Lee

PMEmail PosterAOLMSN
booey2
  Posted: Jul 16 2009, 05:41 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

My mom used to make sure we had good first day of school clothes but with us having boys, we are happy if they have something not ripped or torn to wear on the first day. We haven't really gone out shopping for them for specifically school clothes but by the time the 2nd week of September rolls around they are in need of clothes to wear so out we go.

Matthew really could care less right now what he wears and Thomas, well lets just say he is happy to put on anything I hand him in the morning. LOL rolling_smile.gif

I think if I had girls my DH would probably be out there buying all kinds of pretty things for them to wear to school, escpecially on the first day.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN

coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 05:43 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (booey2 @ Jul 16 2009, 08:41 AM)

I think if I had girls my DH would probably be out there buying all kinds of pretty things for them to wear to school, escpecially on the first day.

Yeah, not my husband. happy.gif He would say they have enough, no reason to waste money, but he did let me last year. I did let the girls pick out their 1st day outfit this year, it just so happened that they picked something off the clearance rack - lucky me! tongue.gif I didn't so much care for Kylie's, but it's cute and she loved it. They aren't big clothing shoppers, so I guess I'm lucky there. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 06:54 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

I do, just because of the sales. I go ahead and buy fall/winter stuff during the back to school sales. I don't buy a ton, but mine ALWAYS need new jeans and shirts so I try to time it for back to school.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (luvmykids @ Jul 16 2009, 09:54 AM)
I do, just because of the sales.  I go ahead and buy fall/winter stuff during the back to school sales.  I don't buy a ton, but mine ALWAYS need new jeans and shirts so I try to time it for back to school.

You know I'd do that, too, but the last time I did that (not because of school, but took advantage of the school sales) Kylie grew like a weed on me in just a few months and could only wear them for a month or two. She sprouts up out of no where so often, that I just can't do that either. dry.gif ETA: I'm afraid to buy bigger because then she may not grow. happy.gif

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Jul 16 2009, 06:59 AM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

We do a big clothes shopping twice a year for the kids, once in the fall, and once in the spring. We take a day, go through the closets, try on everything to see how it fits, see what is stained up, then make a list.
It gets pretty cold pretty fast around here, we need winter jackets and mittens my mid October usually, we have our first flurries just before halloween, so I only buy winter stuff in the fall, and summer stuff in the spring. It works out pretty well.
PM
moped
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Big surprise here, but i am constantly buying my kids clothes, all the time, as far as school, Jack is already set up but i am sure I will buy him some new jeans and a new pair of shoes and a hoddie and and and..... tongue.gif

I bet I don't go 2 weeks without buying some form of clothing for them. I REALLY have to try hard not to buy anymore sun dresses for Laila, seriously I have a hard time not buying those. A couple of weeks ago I saw a gorgeous little sundress so I was smart and bought a size for next summer thumb.gif That made me feel much better buying it!

I have a huge weakness for plaid shorts for Jack as well. I went to Tommy Hilfiger and got him 2 great pair and they were on sale for 19.99 and then I got up to the til and they were 40% off that so I went back and bought bigger sizes for next year! thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 12:23 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (moped @ Jul 16 2009, 02:55 PM)
Big surprise here, but i am constantly buying my kids clothes, all the time, as far as school, Jack is already set up but i am sure I will buy him some new jeans and a new pair of shoes and a hoddie and and and..... tongue.gif

I bet I don't go 2 weeks without buying some form of clothing for them.  I REALLY have to try hard not to buy anymore sun dresses for Laila, seriously I have a hard time not buying those.  A couple of weeks ago I saw a gorgeous little sundress so I was smart and bought a size for next summer  thumb.gif  That made me feel much better buying it!

I have a huge weakness for plaid shorts for Jack as well.  I went to Tommy Hilfiger and got him 2 great pair and they were on sale for 19.99 and then I got up to the til and they were 40% off that so I went back and bought bigger sizes for next year! thumb.gif

How do they ever have time to wear all those clothes? I thought I bought a lot for them.

I mean, my girls probably have 20 outfits each season and some I never see them wear. Of course I think they latch on to "favorite" outfits and that's what they wear.

I will buy them school clothes for fall and then they'll get alot of clothes at Christmas to last the rest of winter.

I usually get a large majority of their clothes from outlet malls. I don't dare buy stuff bigger because these kids are unpredictable with growth. Kylie grows out of clothes ever couple of months rolleyes.gif So buying a lot of clothes for her is foolish and Megan seems to never grow - well she grows but it's almost like her clothes expand with her or something because she can wear them for what seems forever. happy.gif Last winter I did buy Kylie a winter coat for this winter, but who knows if she'll like it the same this winter or if it will even fit.

ETA: As a matter of fact the dress that Kylie is wearing in the picture below...I bought that for her in May and it doesn't fit properly anymore. It's already way too short to wear. rolleyes.gif It's a size 9 (for length). This girl will be taller than me before too long. ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Jul 16 2009, 12:25 PM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
skinkybaby
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 01:53 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 4,328

I just finished school shopping and I know I bought waaaaaaaaaaaay more than I should have. However, almost everything I bought was on sale and most of the shirts and dresses she already has she can't wear to school because of their sleeve length requirement.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jul 16 2009, 02:12 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (moped @ Jul 16 2009, 02:55 PM)

I bet I don't go 2 weeks without buying some form of clothing for them. I REALLY have to try hard not to buy anymore sun dresses for Laila, seriously I have a hard time not buying those. A couple of weeks ago I saw a gorgeous little sundress so I was smart and bought a size for next summer thumb.gif That made me feel much better buying it!

I have a huge weakness for plaid shorts for Jack as well. I went to Tommy Hilfiger and got him 2 great pair and they were on sale for 19.99 and then I got up to the til and they were 40% off that so I went back and bought bigger sizes for next year! thumb.gif

I buy A LOT in next years sizes...like now, I'm not buying anymore stuff for this year but I can't pass up the sales so I get next years size. I do buy for them throughout the year too, not quite as much as you though laugh.gif
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0158 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]