Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Fears popping up out of no where?
coasterqueen
  Posted: May 14 2009, 10:31 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Is this normal at age 6-7 for fears to just start popping up out of nowhere? Kylie is all of a sudden scared of everything it seems. rolleyes.gif wacko.gif I mean, she never used to be scared of wasps and other flying bugs but now all of a sudden she is and she won't even go outside to play AT ALL. If her friend is outside playing, she'll quietly stay inside all by herself. It's crazy. This is not the only fear popping up out of nowhere, either. I'm at a loss.

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 14 2009, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

Totally developmental~threw me for a loop, too. O is not a very fearful kid but hit a little "fear wall" a little after 6. It lasted a few months and left as quickly as it came. hug.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 14 2009, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ May 14 2009, 02:02 PM)
Totally developmental~threw me for a loop, too. O is not a very fearful kid but hit a little "fear wall" a little after 6. It lasted a few months and left as quickly as it came. hug.gif

Oh thank goodness!!!! I was really starting to get concerned. blush.gif It's the same with gymnastics. She used to LOVE it and all of a sudden freaks out like she's going to hurt herself every time. She wanted to quit, but Ryan thought we should just push her through it hoping these fears went away.

Oh you just gave me such relief!!! Thank you. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster

Mommy2Isabella
Posted: May 14 2009, 11:31 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,075

What about at almost 3 !

Bella is terrified of flying things outside (flys, bees, dragonflys) and sometimes she wakes up at night and says she is afraid of spiders or snakes ...

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 14 2009, 12:34 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 14 2009, 02:04 PM)

Oh thank goodness!!!! I was really starting to get concerned. blush.gif It's the same with gymnastics. She used to LOVE it and all of a sudden freaks out like she's going to hurt herself every time. She wanted to quit, but Ryan thought we should just push her through it hoping these fears went away.

After we went through this we decided that must be why CW says to get them to ride a 2 wheel bike at 5 yoa. At 5 she was all about trying it. Couldn't get her anywhere around a 2 wheel bike at 6 rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 14 2009, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ May 14 2009, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 14 2009, 02:04 PM)

After we went through this we decided that must be why CW says to get them to ride a 2 wheel bike at 5 yoa. At 5 she was all about trying it. Couldn't get her anywhere around a 2 wheel bike at 6 rolleyes.gif

Oh yeah. Well, Kylie learned last spring/summer when she was 5.5 to ride a two wheeled bike. Then late last fall she took a pretty bad spill and now she won't get anywhere NEAR her bike. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: May 14 2009, 12:42 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

I think they pick up fears and habits from other friends...Mckaylee does this too.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
Boo&BugsMom
Posted: May 16 2009, 09:55 AM
Quote Post

Two peas in a pod!

Member No.: 3,766

Tanner is like this now too. Never use to be. He use to be fearless. He also got overly dramatic out of nowhere. He use to fall down, then stand back up and yell "I'm OK!". Now the wind could hit him the wrong way and he whines about it. Ugh.

--------------------
Jennie: mommy to two handsome little men, a crazy husband (TheOaf66), and two cats.
PM
jcc64
Posted: May 17 2009, 05:02 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

OMG, Karen, you have no idea how this has become a MAJOR issue for us over here. I'm certainly not saying that I'm glad it's happening to you too, but it's a relief to possibly chalk it up to some common developmental tick rather than the sign of a budding neurotic on our hands. Corey is exhausting me with her excessive clinginess and insecurity. Her emotional well-being these days is so tied into me being within her sight that I feel as tied down as when I was breastfeeding! rolling_smile.gif Every time I leave the gym (her practices are 3.5 hrs long, mind you), she freaks out. It's like separation anxiety run amock. "What happens if you don't come back, what happens if I get hurt when you're gone, etc...." It's totally draining me.
Whew, glad to know it will eventually pass. I hope the same for you too, Karen! hug.gif

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 18 2009, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Well, I hope it passes soon. wacko.gif It was so beautiful outside yesterday and she spent all day inside because when she was outside (for 15 minutes) she thought she saw a bee and freaked out. dry.gif And yes, she's super clingy and overly dramatic. She's always been a drama queen but it's 10x worse now. Here's hoping it passes VERY SOON. wacko.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
DVFlyer
Posted: May 18 2009, 02:46 PM
Quote Post

Just a man

Member No.: 1,368

Guess I never realized it before but YES, Chloe has slowly gotten more and more scared of things.

--------------------
Convincing the world that the only way to solve the ongoing issues while raising children is PERSISTENCE. You have to keep trying things and not give up........ they eventually go away on their own. ;-)
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 18 2009, 05:44 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 18 2009, 08:30 AM)
Well, I hope it passes soon. wacko.gif It was so beautiful outside yesterday and she spent all day inside because when she was outside (for 15 minutes) she thought she saw a bee and freaked out. dry.gif And yes, she's super clingy and overly dramatic. She's always been a drama queen but it's 10x worse now. Here's hoping it passes VERY SOON. wacko.gif

Funny story about O at that age. (OK, so it's funny now! tongue.gif )She got super clingy, too. I planned a scrabooking overnight with my sister in Amish country. I ponied up the cash, got the husband all square on it, etc. O freaked out. ohmy.gif She would cry every night and try to make deals with me if I didn't go. I was so paranoid she would figure out a way to kill the plan that I waited until she fell asleep the night before I left so I could pack the car. I hid an entire change of clothes in the garage in case I had to make a quick get away in my jammies. It was insane!! I did go, she called my cell phone every hour for a while but I had no service where we were tongue.gif and she had a great time with daddy. I swear if that child was in the Garden of Gethsemane Christ would have never been crucified! thumb.gif She's all better now but man that was a crazy phase!

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 19 2009, 05:09 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ May 18 2009, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ May 18 2009, 08:30 AM)
Well, I hope it passes soon.  wacko.gif  It was so beautiful outside yesterday and she spent all day inside because when she was outside (for 15 minutes) she thought she saw a bee and freaked out.  dry.gif  And yes, she's super clingy and overly dramatic.  She's always been a drama queen but it's 10x worse now.  Here's hoping it passes VERY SOON.  wacko.gif

Funny story about O at that age. (OK, so it's funny now! tongue.gif )She got super clingy, too. I planned a scrabooking overnight with my sister in Amish country. I ponied up the cash, got the husband all square on it, etc. O freaked out. ohmy.gif She would cry every night and try to make deals with me if I didn't go. I was so paranoid she would figure out a way to kill the plan that I waited until she fell asleep the night before I left so I could pack the car. I hid an entire change of clothes in the garage in case I had to make a quick get away in my jammies. It was insane!! I did go, she called my cell phone every hour for a while but I had no service where we were tongue.gif and she had a great time with daddy. I swear if that child was in the Garden of Gethsemane Christ would have never been crucified! thumb.gif She's all better now but man that was a crazy phase!

OMG Cheryl, that story is PRICELESS!!!!! I can just imagine you doing that, too. rolling_smile.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 19 2009, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I remember Ashley went through something similar around age 4-5.... it was odd because it came out of nowhere. But, she eventually went back to normal. laugh.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website

my2monkeyboys
Posted: May 20 2009, 05:35 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

I think it's because they realize all of a sudden that people do get hurt, that people do leave and don't come back, and that they are vulnerable. Before that age/maturity level I guess they don't realize they indeed are not superman! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0115 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]