Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Cursive writing?
coasterqueen
  Posted: May 14 2009, 10:28 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Kylie is all about learning to write in cursive now. She's been practicing 24/7 on it. I talked to her teacher to see if it's normal or not at this age and she said kids don't learn it until late in second grade and they really don't like them to do it before that. I guess so they don't learn wrong. We printed out a sheet that shows her how to properly write cursive since as you get older your cursive gets more sloppy. blush.gif So she's using that to practice. I'm inclined to let her continue it. I hate telling her to stop doing it. I mean, she's MUCH older than all the kids in her kindergarten class and technically if she would have started Kindergarten when she was supposed to (missed the cut off by 6 days dry.gif ) she would be starting next year doing it anyways.

How are you handling them doing cursive? Did your child do cursive earlier? Any pointers?

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 14 2009, 11:00 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

We bought Olivia one of those wipe off cursive practice books. She worked on it all last summer. According to her teacher she has some of the nicest handwriting in the class in both printing and cursive. She's a lefty so I don't try to teach her writing as I'm a righty. I just let her do it the way that's most comfortable for her. The book did have arrows showing the direction she should right. I figured she picked it up quickly so she could "relearn" quickly but I don't think it was ever an issue. She is a 2nd grader and they have been working on cursive since March.

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
booey2
Posted: May 14 2009, 11:28 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

They really don't start cursive writing here (Canada) til grade 3. Thomas is in a 2/3 split and has shown some interest in it so they gave him some workbooks to get started.

She is well ahead of herself, way to go mom and Kylie.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN

coasterqueen
Posted: May 14 2009, 11:37 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (booey2 @ May 14 2009, 02:28 PM)
They really don't start cursive writing here (Canada) til grade 3. Thomas is in a 2/3 split and has shown some interest in it so they gave him some workbooks to get started.

She is well ahead of herself, way to go mom and Kylie.

laugh.gif Well, I have one way ahead and one way behind so I don't know about wtg for me, but thanks. Kylie goes at her own speed. I don't push her in any direction. She has been in the drivers seat since birth. I just sit back, put the seat belt on and hold on! rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

Kylie's teacher said that girls usually show interest much earlier in boys so it sounds like your son is right on target.

Nice to "see" you, btw. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0177 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]