Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Credit Card thread gave me an idea for Ashley
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 23 2009, 02:10 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley gets an allowance -- out of that allowance she must save some, donate some, and she has some to spend. We have stopped buying her little things here and there... if she wants it, she must buy it with her own money. She may ask for something in the store, and I will say, "sure, if you have enough money". She'll think about how much she has, how much it is, and figure out how much she would have left. She usually ends up saying, "well, maybe I don't want that right now" rolling_smile.gif I think it has been an eye opener for her.

However, she still doesn't get what a credit card is... sometimes she will say, "well, just put it on credit card". So, here's my idea:
If she wants to buy something when we are out and she doesn't have her money, I will let her use a credit card (maybe I will make one out of cardboard) and keep the balance on there. And, then when it is time to get her allowance, she will have to pay her credit card debt first. I think it will also be a real eye opener and maybe she won't have to learn the lesson when she gets older.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Apr 23 2009, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,561

just make sure to charge her 20% interest, and jack it up if she doesn't pay on time. rolling_smile.gif
PM
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 23 2009, 02:36 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Apr 23 2009, 06:14 PM)
just make sure to charge her 20% interest, and jack it up if she doesn't pay on time. rolling_smile.gif

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

my2monkeyboys
Posted: Apr 23 2009, 02:37 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,245

That's a very good idea! I may have to steal it if you don't mind! biggrin.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Apr 23 2009, 04:10 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

I think it's better to say if you can't afford it you don't need it. I think that would be a better lesson. JMHO.

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
A&A'smommy
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 06:16 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

hmmmm yeah that might be a good idea

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 06:36 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (msoulz @ Apr 23 2009, 08:10 PM)
I think it's better to say if you can't afford it you don't need it. I think that would be a better lesson. JMHO.

I think she gets that concept now, especially since she had to pay for it with her own allowance. I am just trying to get her to understand that when you use a credit card, you still have to pay money... it's not magic. laugh.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

coasterqueen
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 06:49 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Apr 23 2009, 05:10 PM)
Ashley gets an allowance -- out of that allowance she must save some, donate some, and she has some to spend. We have stopped buying her little things here and there... if she wants it, she must buy it with her own money. She may ask for something in the store, and I will say, "sure, if you have enough money". She'll think about how much she has, how much it is, and figure out how much she would have left. She usually ends up saying, "well, maybe I don't want that right now" rolling_smile.gif I think it has been an eye opener for her.

However, she still doesn't get what a credit card is... sometimes she will say, "well, just put it on credit card". So, here's my idea:
If she wants to buy something when we are out and she doesn't have her money, I will let her use a credit card (maybe I will make one out of cardboard) and keep the balance on there. And, then when it is time to get her allowance, she will have to pay her credit card debt first. I think it will also be a real eye opener and maybe she won't have to learn the lesson when she gets older.

We've been doing what you mentioned in your first para since she was 5. We actually started doing it with Megan some as well - Megan won't get an allowance until age 5, but we make her use her birthday money, etc that way.

I like the credit card, idea. Kylie has said the sames things as Ashley before too, but she also complains that we only use cards and not cash. She hates when she wants a soda or a gumball while we are out and we don't have cash on us. blush.gif But were talking about our checking account debit card we use. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 06:55 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Apr 24 2009, 10:36 AM)
I think it's better to say if you can't afford it you don't need it.  I think that would be a better lesson.  JMHO.

I think she gets that concept now, especially since she had to pay for it with her own allowance. I am just trying to get her to understand that when you use a credit card, you still have to pay money... it's not magic. laugh.gif

I see - yes, that does make a lot of sense. I wonder if they think a bank is a magical place that just hands you money too! laugh.gif I remember having to explain to my son that I gave the ATM the money before I asked for it back!

--------------------
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (msoulz @ Apr 23 2009, 07:10 PM)

I see what you mean about Ashley thinking that the money just appears in the ATM. but we have stuck by the idea that mary expressed. I left my parents and got into real credit card debt, I mean really bad..but I worked and got myself out of it, but it took a lot of work and sacrifice.
I wouldnt wish that on anyone.
I hope my kids never use credit cards.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

msoulz
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 11:02 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Apr 24 2009, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (msoulz @ Apr 23 2009, 07:10 PM)
I think it's better to say if you can't afford it you don't need it.  I think that would be a better lesson.  JMHO.

I see what you mean about Ashley thinking that the money just appears in the ATM. but we have stuck by the idea that mary expressed. I left my parents and got into real credit card debt, I mean really bad..but I worked and got myself out of it, but it took a lot of work and sacrifice.
I wouldnt wish that on anyone.
I hope my kids never use credit cards.

I had a credit card starting at 18 in college - it had a $500 limit. I only used it if I had to. The first time I really used it was when I graduated and needed new clothes for my job (I think I Had a $!000 limit then) and I paid that off within 2 months and I have only carried a balance one time for one month since then. This is what my dad taught me and he is the one who co-signed for my card so I knew better than to screw up! happy.gif

I guess my point is that sharing your experience will educate your kids to use credit wisely. I think it is a good idea to have a credit card for emergencies and/or if you just don't feel comfortable carrying cash. And it proper use does establish credit for those later puchases of cars and houses which most of us finance.

The cards are not inherently evil, they can be very good tools.

--------------------
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

PM
cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 11:13 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

Member No.: 4,205

I have say that I use my credit cards for everything, EVERYTHING...I only carry cash to go the farmers' market because they don't take plastic and to pay for parking at the beach since I've been going quite often lately.
BUT, I pay them off in full every month and never buy anything I can't afford right now. The thing is, Discover and Chase pay me back up to 3% for purchases so I actually make money using them...I get about $600 every year from Discover in free money and it costs me nothing to use the card...I have never paid interest on a credit card.
I think plastic is great if you use it wisely as every month I can see a breakdown of what I spent and can see my spending patterns also.
I think it's a great lesson for a child, personally, because I am one of the only people I know who doesn't carry tons of credit card debt.

--------------------
Image hosted by ImageShack

user posted image
Another mother's breaking heart is taking over
When the violence causes silence
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
msoulz
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (cameragirl21 @ Apr 24 2009, 03:13 PM)
I have say that I use my credit cards for everything, EVERYTHING...I only carry cash to go the farmers' market because they don't take plastic and to pay for parking at the beach since I've been going quite often lately.
BUT, I pay them off in full every month and never buy anything I can't afford right now. The thing is, Discover and Chase pay me back up to 3% for purchases so I actually make money using them...I get about $600 every year from Discover in free money and it costs me nothing to use the card...I have never paid interest on a credit card.
I think plastic is great if you use it wisely as every month I can see a breakdown of what I spent and can see my spending patterns also.
I think it's a great lesson for a child, personally, because I am one of the only people I know who doesn't carry tons of credit card debt.

We operate the same way Jennifer. I keep hearing that the credit card companies are going to cut off folks like us because we don't pay them interest but then they make a % of every transaction so they have nothing to complain about.

--------------------
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

PM
cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 11:35 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

QUOTE (msoulz @ Apr 24 2009, 11:34 AM)
QUOTE (cameragirl21 @ Apr 24 2009, 03:13 PM)
BUT, I pay them off in full every month and never buy anything I can't afford right now.  The thing is, Discover and Chase pay me back up to 3% for purchases so I actually make money using them...I get about $600 every year from Discover in free money and it costs me nothing to use the card...I have never paid interest on a credit card.

We operate the same way Jennifer. I keep hearing that the credit card companies are going to cut off folks like us because we don't pay them interest but then they make a % of every transaction so they have nothing to complain about.

I hear the same thing about them cutting us off and ITA that they make enough money off of us as it is.
I seriously don't know what I'd do without my plastic. unsure.gif

--------------------

user posted image
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster

cameragirl21
Posted: Apr 24 2009, 11:42 AM
Quote Post

Treehugger and proud

I should also add that when I get cash to go to the beach or go to the market, you know where I get it? From my Discover card...some stores offer cash back when you use your Discover card and that is precisely what I do.
I'd be lost without it.

--------------------

user posted image
We must be mistaken....
--The Cranberries
PMEmail Poster
mckayleesmom
Posted: Apr 26 2009, 08:10 AM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

You can get her one of those Visa cash cards and put a certain limit on it and tell her she has to put the money back on it at the end of the week.

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: Apr 26 2009, 09:04 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

just make sure to charge her 20% interest, and jack it up if she doesn't pay on time.

And also tack on an additional 10% every time she forgets to take the garbage out or brush her teeth.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Apr 28 2009, 01:40 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

QUOTE (msoulz @ Apr 24 2009, 09:55 AM)
QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Apr 24 2009, 10:36 AM)

I see - yes, that does make a lot of sense. I wonder if they think a bank is a magical place that just hands you money too! laugh.gif I remember having to explain to my son that I gave the ATM the money before I asked for it back!

ROFL rolling_smile.gif My kids still think the bank is just a brick building with lots of generous folks inside! When I tell them we don't have the money for something their answer is ALWAYS "Just go to the bank!"
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0092 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]