Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Is my five month old boy spoilt or what?????, Spoilt or what???
Jeannie00
Posted: Aug 1 2005, 12:29 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,066

Is this just me or is it everyone??? My five month old boy is sooo spoilt. I know people say that you cant spoil a baby, but, I think they are wrong! I cant walk in the same room with my baby, cause, when he sees me he throws the most god awful fit, he kicks and screams and cries until i pick him up. Soon as i pick him up hes the happiest camper ever. He just smiles and coos. Yeah at times its cute, but when u cant get nothing done around the house, it tends to get aggrivating. He even does this when other people are holding him, hes fine until he sees me then he starts getting soo mad and cries until i get him then he hushes instantly. Everyone tells me to put him in his room and lay him in his bed or bouncy seat etc... but i cant do that cause i feel sooo bad for him crying. Am i doing something wrong??? Should i let him cry??? I dont know what to do, he is always stuck on my hip 24-7. I know people say he just wants attention, and others say he is just spoilt. What am i doing wrong or what aint i doing right???? He will cry and cry and cry till i pick him up. Like right now at this very moment, i fed him changed him burped him. Hes fine but when i lay him down, he gets soooo mad and throws a fit, but soon as i pick him up hes fine. What should i do? I need help . I cant get nothing done round the house. I cant even take a shower till my husband gets home cause he just screams and cries. Any advice is helpful.
PMEmail PosterICQYahooMSN
mammag
Posted: Aug 1 2005, 12:36 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

Have you tried a sling, snugglie or back pack carrier? Those have been lifesavers for me at times. All mine went through phases like that but once they are more mobile it let up a lot. Good luck to you!

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Jeannie00
Posted: Aug 1 2005, 12:54 PM
Quote Post

No i havent tried a sling. where would i get them and how much do they cost??? I have a snugglie, but i thought he was too big for it, i though them were for little little babies, well hes only 13lbs. u think he can still fit in it?????

kit_kats_mom
Posted: Aug 1 2005, 04:34 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/5/T051200.asp

check out some of the links on this page. I think they will help you understand what's going on with your son.

You can find slings and carriers all over the web & in many stores. I think I even saw one in target lately. you can also check maternity stores (not motherhood) or breastfeeding shops. Maybe try going to a LLL meeting to see if you can try some different styles before you buy.

Your baby is not spoiled, He is showing that he has a strong attachment to you and to deny him one of his most basic needs (touch & closeness to his main caregivers) could lead to other behavioral problems in the future.

I held & carried my older daughter for most of her first year. She never had signifigant seperation issues and she's now a well behaved almost-3-year old who I have to practically tackle to get a cuddle from now. sad.gif

The first year is tough and we've all felt tied down by our babes and their needs at one time or the other. Just go with what your instincts tell you to do and say phooey to the people who tell you otherwise. smash.gif

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
mckayleesmom
Posted: Aug 1 2005, 05:00 PM
Quote Post

The hair I wish I had...lol

Member No.: 157

I agree with KitKatsmom....however, maybe you can put a blanket down on the floor and start teaching him to interact with his toys....tummy time...etc...Maybe once he gets the hang of playing with his toys..he will be content for a couple more minutes at a time..

--------------------
Brianne
Wife to Leithan and mommy to Mckaylee (4) and Russell (3)

Click here to help us grown our village http://schwartzville.myminicity.com/
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Aug 1 2005, 06:07 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (mckayleesmom @ Aug 1 2005, 08:00 PM)
I agree with KitKatsmom....however, maybe you can put a blanket down on the floor and start teaching him to interact with his toys....tummy time...etc...Maybe once he gets the hang of playing with his toys..he will be content for a couple more minutes at a time..

I agree........

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
kellibellisdillybear
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,194

Try keeping him by you when you can, so you can interact withoout having to hold him, for example, when I clean the kitchen I used to put him in his bouncy seat on the counter and stop now and then to kiss him, or tickle him, but was always talking to him. Now he's big enough to be in his highchair, and I taped up pictures of babies and put locker mirrors on the fridge door, so he can play and look at himself and other babies while we talk. When I take a shower, he usually sits on the counter in his bouncy with a toy and talks to himself in the mirror.

My philosophy is, if it can wait, it will. I do have to make dinner, so when Dylan is too fussy, sometimes dinner waits until Daddy gets home. I've decided that my little one will be big before I know it, and I can already tell he'll be the one too busy to be stuck to me once he can move on his own, so for now, I even try to get him to nap with me, just so I can soak up as many cuddles as I can now, before he grows out of it.

I know it's frustrating, Dylan used to be really bad with this too, but do what you can, and with a little prioritization (is that a word???) you can get more done than you think. Just make sure to find a little "me" time somehow, even if it is just a shower. As for the crying, when he gets fussy doing something, and I'm busy, I make it a point to tell him I'm coming and talk to him while I finish drying my hands, etc. to pick him up. That way I know he knows I hear him, and I'm responding, although I'm not rushing to get him.

P.S. I'm not a fan of letting him cry for long periods either, but I accidentally found out that in the bathroom fan on, I can't hear him crying, so if it gets to THAT point, try the fan for a few minutes of sanity, read a little. He'll be ok thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

My 4 month old is doing the same thing and while some days I feel like it's just that she's spoiled I know she's not. She needs me and that's that. The good news is I know they grow out of it. DD1 was like that but she's gotten a lot better. Hang in there! grouphug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 10:15 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

My 4 month old is doing the same thing and while some days I feel like it's just that she's spoiled I know she's not. She needs me and that's that. The good news is I know they grow out of it. DD1 was like that but she's gotten a lot better. Hang in there! grouphug.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Jeannie00
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 02:29 PM
Quote Post

This reply is to kellibellisdillybear:

Ive tried puttin him in a bouncy seat, and puttin it on the counter while i cook, but that does not help. I even talk to him while i cook, clean etc.... Nothing works with him, He is not happy unless im HOLDING him. Ive even put him in the bathroom with me while i take a shower, and he just screams his head off till i pick him up. Im not saying i dont like to hold him and stuff, im just asking if hes just spoilt or if it was something else. Dont get me wrong, i love to hold and cuddle and love on my DS. Hes my everything!! smile.gif Another one of my questions that noone has answered yet is "should i put him in his room, or just let him cry????? But then again i feel bad if he cries. Must be a motherly thing i guess, i dunno. Hes my last kid, DH didnt want anymore kids, so he made me get my tubes tied, i wanted one more but he didnt sad.gif . So im trying to enjoy him being little as long as i can.
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 3 2005, 05:23 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

I can't be any help on the crying issue. I do not believe in CIO at all, but that is what is best for our family. I think when it comes to that you have to do what is comfortable for you. wink.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Jeannie00
Posted: Aug 4 2005, 06:44 AM
Quote Post

What is CIO???
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 4 2005, 06:45 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Jeannie00 @ Aug 4 2005, 09:44 AM)
What is CIO???

crying it out

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
kellibellisdillybear
Posted: Aug 5 2005, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,194

I don't believe in CIO either, but you need to do what you feel works for you. It sounds like you don't want to either, so I say, hold him if you can. Like you said, of course you want to, but it can't get annoying. When my DS was going through this, I had my husband reserve me a few extra minutes before he went to work so I could shower, then I just did what I could when he would sleep or when DH got home from work. It'll work itself out sooner or later smile.gif
PMEmail Poster

Jeannie00
Posted: Aug 5 2005, 09:23 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (kellibellisdillybear @ Aug 5 2005, 11:03 AM)
I don't believe in CIO either, but you need to do what you feel works for you. It sounds like you don't want to either, so I say, hold him if you can. Like you said, of course you want to, but it can't get annoying. When my DS was going through this, I had my husband reserve me a few extra minutes before he went to work so I could shower, then I just did what I could when he would sleep or when DH got home from work. It'll work itself out sooner or later smile.gif

Yah, im not much on CIO, i cant stand to see a little on cry, it breaks my heart. Its just that DH keeps telling me to put him in his room and shut the door and let him CIO, DH is not much help when it comes to my kids, hed rather put them in their rooms and let them CIO, then hold him for me while im doing something, thats why i get so frustrated, cause i have no help when i need it, he was like that with my other two kids, and i dunno if it has anything to do with it but my other two kids are now getting very uncontrollable and rebellious, and they are only 5 and 3.5 both girls, so is that have alot to do with it you think????
coasterqueen
Posted: Aug 5 2005, 10:58 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Jeannie00 @ Aug 5 2005, 12:23 PM)
I don't believe in CIO either, but you need to do what you feel works for you.  It sounds like you don't want to either, so I say, hold him if you can.  Like you said, of course you want to, but it can't get annoying.  When my DS was going through this, I had my husband reserve me a few extra minutes before he went to work so  I could shower, then I just did what I could when he would sleep or when DH got home from work.  It'll work itself out sooner or later smile.gif

Yah, im not much on CIO, i cant stand to see a little on cry, it breaks my heart. Its just that DH keeps telling me to put him in his room and shut the door and let him CIO, DH is not much help when it comes to my kids, hed rather put them in their rooms and let them CIO, then hold him for me while im doing something, thats why i get so frustrated, cause i have no help when i need it, he was like that with my other two kids, and i dunno if it has anything to do with it but my other two kids are now getting very uncontrollable and rebellious, and they are only 5 and 3.5 both girls, so is that have alot to do with it you think????

Ok before I respond I want to be sure...your other two kids were they subjected to CIO or not? Want to make sure before I respond.

BTW, my dh was a lot like yours and wanted to let Kylie CIO but then I did some research printed it out and showed him why we should NOT let her do so and he decided that CIO was not the best thing for our child. Maybe that would work for your DH. dunno.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
Jeannie00
Posted: Aug 5 2005, 12:09 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (boogabearzmom @ Aug 5 2005, 01:58 PM)
QUOTE (Jeannie00 @ Aug 5 2005, 12:23 PM)
I don't believe in CIO either, but you need to do what you feel works for you.  It sounds like you don't want to either, so I say, hold him if you can.  Like you said, of course you want to, but it can't get annoying.  When my DS was going through this, I had my husband reserve me a few extra minutes before he went to work so  I could shower, then I just did what I could when he would sleep or when DH got home from work.  It'll work itself out sooner or later smile.gif

Ok before I respond I want to be sure...your other two kids were they subjected to CIO or not? Want to make sure before I respond.

BTW, my dh was a lot like yours and wanted to let Kylie CIO but then I did some research printed it out and showed him why we should NOT let her do so and he decided that CIO was not the best thing for our child. Maybe that would work for your DH. dunno.gif

Yah, my husband did that alot with my two girls, he put them in the room and just let them CIO. But after a while of screaming for hours i couldnt take it anymore and went in the room and got them, they were sooo sweaty from crying for hours, and their eyes were all puffy and big ole tears down their faces, i felt sooo bad for them, I think thats one of the reasons i dont want my little DS to do the same, i felt sooo bad to let them CIO, but the thing is we never knew why they were crying, they were fed, diapered, burped the whole nine yards, they just cried and cried, they had colic too, maybe that had something to do with it??? I dunno, i was a young mother, i didnt really know what was right and what was wrong, or what to do, but now that im older, i know what is best for them and what to do (sometimes smile.gif ) Im just wondering if letting my girls CIO has alot to do with their behavioral problems now, we still put them in their rooms when they are bad and they jsut CIO, or when its nap time, they fight us everyday to take a nap, and they just sit in their rooms for hours CIO!! I dunno are they too old for naps you think?? they are 5 and 3.5???? I dunno what else to do,
Marie_S
Posted: Aug 23 2005, 07:01 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,393

Branden gets needy sometimes too. I am not an advocate of CIO, but sometimes I have no choice but to let him cry for a few minutes. If I need to make his bottles or take a shower he may cry, but things have to get done. Branden is usually content for periods of time on his own, so I don't have that problem too often. I think as babies grow it get easier and they are more content on their own.

--------------------
user posted image
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
NummyMommy
Posted: Aug 23 2005, 07:58 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 2,296

I sorta went through the same thing with my ex (which is one reason we are exes) and it never got resolved....I just had to be the only caregiver to my sons and that was that....I would sometimes get help from family but not often....My oldest son had problems and cried for his first year of life constantly...unless nursing or asleep....so I had to use a carrier and nurse him while I did things. I think people like to throw around the word spoiled when it comes to infants who are high need because they think kids should all fit into the same catagory...but they dont. IMHO spoiled is a child who gets everything they want (usually cause the parent doesnt want to fight them) what you have is an infant who is crying because he needs you theres a big difference. IMHO leaving him alone to CIO is counterproductive to his needs being met so its going to make him that much more needy. But if it comes down to "I'm at the end of my rope" I think a child is better off crying in their crib then having a loony (or angry) mother. I had to put my son in his crib to cry a few times (and took a shower) just to recharge so I could deal with his crying. But it was minutes not hours. Your other children may be acting up because of the CIO but they also could just be acting their ages too. I think most kids give up naps at about 3 but it depends on how active they are. Whatever you do try and get your DH on board because presenting a unified front works a lot better then one parent being the "good" guy and one being the "bad" guy.
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0153 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]