Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Co-sleeping, Co sleeping
daisysue
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 02:19 PM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,519

I recently had my first baby who is now only 2 months old. I have read many books and articles which warns against co sleeping because it is harmful. I recently read that 50% of sids deaths occur when co sleeping. I am very nervous because my 2 month old hates her craddle. We try to put her in the craddle each night but she screams so much she begins to gag. I don't mind her sleeping with us, but I would hate for something to happen? Any suggestions on how to get her in her own bed?
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 02:34 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

I have heard that they make bassinetts that attach to the bed but are still seperate, I don't know what they are called, maybe someone here has some idea?
also, have you tried swaddeling? mine would fuss like crazy until i had him all wrapped up, (the tighter the better) and then he would drift off to sleep.
My other question is could it be laying flat that is bothering her? Is she a little reflux-ey? if she is laying flat could be painful for her, maybe sleeping in a swing or bouncey chair, or propping up her bassinett would be helpful.
PM
MyBrownEyedBoy
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 03:32 PM
Quote Post

Just funny!

Member No.: 2,273

Co-sleeper
I think this may be the bassinet thing that Tara was talking about.
Other than that there is a sling type bed that some moms here swear by. I think Karen (coasterqueen) will know.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahoo

kimberley
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 04:41 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 249

dry.gif i had the same "studies" rammed down my throat from public health after i had Kaleigh. it is BS. even my midwife said the studies are inaccurate because they don't observe how many babies DIDN'T die from co-sleeping so the numbers are completely unreliable. how many of the co-sleeping deaths also had other contributing factors (ie altered state, smoker, heavy sleeper, overweight parent etc) it is only the "great" western world that believes our babies should be independent from birth. most other cultures i have been exposed to think it is weird NOT to co-sleep. just my 2cents.gif

--------------------
user posted image mama to Jacob, James, Jade, Kaleigh and Riley!!
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image

user posted imageuser posted image

The Administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 06:27 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I agree with Kimberly. Actually, I believe that the AAP has changed their tune a bit recently. Check out Dr. Sears' website. He has tips on co-sleeping safety. He also mentions that sids can actually be lowered if the parents do it safely since a mothers breathing helps to regulate an infants.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/7/T071000.asp

I co slept with both of my babies and it was the best thing for us. One thing that I'm not sure he mentions in the above info is if you have long hair, wear it in a ponytail, bun or braids if you are sleeping with a baby. The child can get entangled in it and choke.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Maddie&EthansMom
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 07:16 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 235

I'm in total agreement with Kimberley and Cary. wink.gif We co-slept with both of our babies and still co-sleep on demand. If your baby wants to be close to you, then allow her and don't let statistics rule your decisions. There are millions of people who co-sleep with absolutely no problems. Just play it safe, as I'm sure you will. hug.gif
PMEmail Poster
Jamison'smama
Posted: Mar 31 2006, 09:58 PM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

dito.gif We co-sleep here. It is what was best of us. I'm sure plenty of people can give you some advice on helping your baby stay in a cradle if that is what you want though. I have heard swaddling them and you wearing the blanket you swadle them in for several hours to make it smell like you.

This post has been edited by Jamison'smama on Apr 1 2006, 06:43 AM

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Apr 1 2006, 04:36 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

We still co-sleep with both of our kids. I have never been comfortable imagining my kids sleeping on the other side of the house where I can't check in on them the very second I open my eyes tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
My2Beauties
Posted: Apr 3 2006, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Member No.: 467

I didn't mind co-sleeping when Hanna was younger now and again but now that she's 2, OMG that child kicks the crap out of me when she sleeps. Not to mention we have a double bed, my DH is a big guy, with the 3 of us in the bed it makes for an awful nights sleep. There are ways to co-sleep safely but I only done it when she was sick or her bed got wet or something, because it always freaked me out. DH is a heavy sleeper. I had a friend whose child died from co-sleeping. The father was not a smoker, was not overweight, was not in an altered state, he laid her down beside them on their bed to take a nap with her. While they were sleeping she rolled over and got stuck on her stomach and suffocated in the bed. Adult matresses aren't as firm as crib or bassinette matresses and not meant for kids IMHO. But had he had one of those co-sleeper things or held onto her then this may have prevented this from happening. I know many people who do it all the time and do it safely, you just have to be careful IMHO.

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
Bamamom
Posted: Apr 5 2006, 01:14 PM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

Tripp sleeps in his PackNPlay right beside our bed because I don't want him so far away but I personally would never cosleep. I think we all have something that freaks us out as moms - for some its the fear of their child being kidnapped, for others its fear of a fire or wreck, for me its SIDS. Everytime I face a decision like this I make myself run through the worse case scenario. In this case how would I feel if I woke up and my child were dead in the bed beside me. I think that would absolutely send me over the edge. I would always questions whether or not I could have prevented it by following the AAP recommendation.

That being said everyone has the right to make that decision for themselves. I just think its something you should think out thoroughly. hug.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
Andersen's Mom
Posted: May 6 2006, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 3,678

Ander sleeps in a Pack N' Play bassinet at the foot of the bed. At about six months old, in line with the newest guidelines, we plan to move him to his own room. He has serious reflux, so we found that sometimes, cuddling with us does help him. But we try to only co-sleep if one of us is actually awake (watching tv or something and keeping an eye on the baby) or if only one of us is in bed, and even then, we use a co-sleeper in the bed. It has hard sides and a firm mattress to keep him safe.

Also, during the day, if he naps, it's in the crib in his room so he'll get used to his room for when we transition him there.

Babies need lots of cuddles, so I understand why many parents choose to co-sleep, but I am too scared of SIDS.

--------------------
Kristy
Married in 1996
Ander Born in March 2006
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0121 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]