Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Nursing babies & Sleep
MommyToAshley
  Posted: Mar 4 2003, 10:50 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

Ashley (almost 6 months old) has to be nursed to sleep. She will only sleep 5-6 hours without having to nurse again. And, that is on a good night. On a bad night, she wakes up several times during the night and will not go back to sleep without nursing. I am told that this is normal for breastfed babies... do you find this to be true? One of my friends has given in and started giving formula and now her baby sleeps through the night. I am not going to give formula because I know breastfeeding is best for my baby. However, I was wondering if this is normal, or if there is something else I should be doing to get her to sleep through the night.

Sometimes for her naps, she will go to sleep on her own. But, in the evening, she always falls asleep when nursing. The Pediatrician said I should just put her in her bed and let her Cry It Out. I tried that for 10 minutes and couldn't take it and swore I would never do that again. I do let her "fuss" a little when she wakes up to see if she will go to sleep on her own, but I don't let her scream. I go to her, and at first I try to comfort her in her bed, but she never calms down until I pick her up and nurse her back to sleep.

(Note: She is on solids -- cereal in am, veggies in afternoon, and cereal in pm. She takes three naps that are about 45 minutes during the day. IF one of the naps goes over an hour, she usually only takes two naps then)

Any ideas you have would be appreciated. Maybe this should be in a different category, but I guess what I am wondering is if this is normal for breastfed babies.

Thanks again!

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
madaise
Posted: Mar 4 2003, 02:49 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 23

IME, yes, it's normal. Teigen is 21 mos and he still wakes up during the night. He sleeps with me though, so we just latch on and go back to sleep.. Well.. ok, sometimes he wakes up so that he's more awake than asleep and we just stay in bed and snuggle, nurse and lay there. Hate those nights for sure!

I am starting to see some changes in his sleeping patterns though. He is getting better about being able to sleep without being *right* next to me. And when he's had enough 'nummy', he'll wiggle around, get comfy and not insist on using me as a pacifier to go back to sleep.

--------------------
Judi
momma to Cas, Em, Tege, Jordan & Ry
HomeIsCool
Posted: Mar 4 2003, 04:09 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 30

I have always slept with my babies so the night nursings were not so much of a bother ... most of the time. At this age ... babies start to teeth and can wake because their gums are bothering them, too. Just because a baby is getting formula or is not nursing anymore ... this won't guarantee a solid nights sleep. Waking patterns can be just part of who they are.

Night nursing can contribute to them waking up, though. And so can the family bed. But, for, those things just worked for us. smile.gif

Good luck!

Barbara
PMEmail Poster

MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 05:51 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

I don't mind getting up (although I would prefer a full night's sleep).. I am just concerned that she is not getting enough deep sleep. I know that how a baby sleeps is different then how we sleep -- they go through several sleep stages in an hour. But I still can't help but to think it would be healthier for her to sleep straight through the night.

I am afraid to bring her into our bed. I am paranoid that I will sufficate her or squish her. I know that it is a common practice, I am just paranoid. But, her room is very close to our room so it is not that much of a bother to go get her.

Thanks again for your input, at least I know it is normal. Everyone keeps telling me that she should be sleeping through the night and I should let her cry. Of course, those people didn't breastfeed either.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

HomeIsCool
Posted: Mar 5 2003, 10:08 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 30

Actually .... research shows that babies who sleep soundly are more likely to be victims of SIDS. That is one reason why early solids are not a good idea ... besides the whole allergy thing.

Moms, especially those who are nursing, are not very likely to roll over onto their babies. Now, moms who are taking medications that make them sleepy, or doing illegal drugs or drink too much alcohol, should NOT sleep with their babies at all. They could be altered and roll over on them. But ... for the most part ... sleeping with baby is very safe. It is not ideal for everyone ... I know moms who hate it but do it because that is the only way their baby will sleep.

On the CIO method ... if your dh needed you in the middle of the night and he had just broken his leg and could not get up ... would just let him cry it out? If you had peed in your bed ... would you make yourself just sit there in it? If you were thirsty or hungry, would you get up to feed yourself? I doubt it. I know when I don't want to leave my warm bed and I have to pee ... I will not go back to sleep well until I get up and go. Some people think that babies should not inconvenience us ... well, babies have needs, too. The CIO'ers just make me batty, can you tell? smile.gif

Sorry for the little rant ... been a night for it!

Barbara
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 7 2003, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks, I feel a little better now. Again, I think we have been making a bigger issue of it than it really is. She won't be this small forever, and I am just trying to cheerish the moments I have with her. I really love rocking and nursing her to sleep -- so what if I am inconvienced a little in the middle of the night. If that is the worst part of parenthood, then I'm loving it even more! snooze.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

MommyToAshley
Posted: Mar 14 2003, 08:34 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Thanks again Barbara and Madaise. I am so glad I didn't let Ashley CIO. Especially after the Ped confirmed that she is teething and might be having a tough time with it. I wouldn't have the heart to let her CIO anyways.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0114 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]