Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> HOLY MEDICAL BILLS, why didn't anyone tell me??
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 10:44 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,075

We just recieved the bill for Isaia's NICU stay ...

His bill is upwards of 24,000 dollars .... THANK THE LORD our insurance covered a majority of it .. how do people without insurance afford that??

Anyways, anyone have any idea on what to call the hospital and say in regaurds to a payment plan of some sort ??

--------------------
Jessica
Wife to Salvador 12.23.05
Mommy to
Isabella 8.8.06 & Isaia 1.2.08 & Ian 8.28.09
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 10:57 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

Yes it can be ugly can't it - like you said thank goodness you have insurance - I would just call and ask them how much you can pay per month and see if its what you can afford - if not tell them what you can afford - in my experience as long as you are making the effort and paying regularly they will cooperate.

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
CantWait
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:12 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 28

All I can say is THANK GOD I LIVE IN CANADA!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
~Marie, mom to Robbie, 15 and Anthony, 7 and our newest addition, Mia Eliana~

user posted image

~*~I promise to forget you not, my angels in heaven being watched by our fallen heroes, Dec 23 08, April 1 09, & May 18 09~*~

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
PMEmail Poster

Calimama
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:14 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

Like Christine said, I bet they are willing to work out a deal with you.
PMEmail Poster
luvmykids
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:34 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 3,038

They're more likely to be nice about it and do it on your terms if you call them before they have to call you wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
lisar
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:40 AM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Raygens NICU bill was around $150,000.00. I paid my $25.00 copay and thats all I had to pay.

And for calling them they will take whatever you can afford to send them a month. Most hospitals are just happy that you are willing to try and not just gona write it off like most people.
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:46 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

they don't. they get government assistance, go bankrupt or both. It is so screwed up.
My hospital will offer a discount if you pay the total upfront. We paid before we even left the hospital and they gave us 20% off. can you do a lump sum?
PM
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:48 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Thank goodness he didn't have to stay longer, I know the longer they are there the higher the bill ... that is just the bill for the NICU that doesnt' include the Neonatoligist care, which the bill for that is 16,000 we don't know how much insurance covered of that one yet ...

Thanks guys, I assumed that If I just called and said hey I will send X amount every month they wouldn't bother me with it ... because so many people don't EVER pay and they write it off!!

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:51 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Jan 28 2008, 02:48 PM)
because so many people don't EVER pay and they write it off!!

that hasn't been my experience with my hospital, WHICH I WORK FOR I a might add. growl.gif
I paid my bill in full before I even walked out the door, but they submitted my information to the wrong insurance, which of course was denied, to they turned me over to collections the next month! all while I was trying to get things straightened out with both our insurance companies, and working with the people in billing. I was furious. I couldn't believe that my employer would treat their patients that way, much less one of their own!
Okay, sorry health insurance stuff gets me really riled up. growl.gif growl.gif growl.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif banghead.gif wink.gif
PM
Calimama
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:52 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Jan 28 2008, 11:48 AM)
.. because so many people don't EVER pay and they write it off!!

I don't think it's quite that simple. wink.gif
PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 11:56 AM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

again these posts are makign me be very thank ful for canada.... When Jordan was in the NICU, PICU and peds ward it cost me nothing at all. i didnt even see a bill at all. it went straight to the alberta health care system and they paid it. And when jenna had her adneniod /tonsil surgery again no bill was charged nothing and the alberta health system paid it. yes the wait here can be long to get into something because we do have universal health care but i would take that over getting a 24 grand bill anyday! Plus if its an emergency with anythign they do get you in fast!

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
Mommy2Isabella
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 12:01 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

I called my "connection" at the hospital and she said as long as I am paying something they won't send me to collections smile.gif

WOO HOO ... go Trident Hospital ... smile.gif I guess I should consider myself lucky ...

Thanks guys!!

--------------------
Jessica
Mommy to
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 12:03 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Jan 28 2008, 12:01 PM)
I called my "connection" at the hospital and she said as long as I am paying something they won't send me to collections smile.gif

WOO HOO ... go Trident Hospital ... smile.gif I guess I should consider myself lucky ...

Thanks guys!!

Awesome! thumb.gif
PMEmail Poster
julesmom
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 12:53 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 323

As you long as make regular monthly payments, they will leave you alone.

For example, if you can send $20 a month, make sure you send that EVERY month. Don't miss ONE month. If you send the money consistantly every month, they will leave you alone, but miss ONE month and you can be sent to collections. And collections won't be as nice as the hospital.

I know an older man who owed the hospital big $$, and paid $10 a month for years. He never missed a month and they left him alone.
PMEmail Poster

Calimama
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 01:04 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (julesmom @ Jan 28 2008, 12:53 PM)

I know an older man who owed the hospital big $$, and paid $10 a month for years. He never missed a month and they left him alone.

That's really neat. wub.gif
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 01:22 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 01:23 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

QUOTE (CantWait @ Jan 28 2008, 02:12 PM)

thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
skinkybaby
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 02:14 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 4,328

QUOTE (JennasMommy @ Jan 28 2008, 02:56 PM)
again these posts are makign me be very thank ful for canada.... When Jordan was in the NICU, PICU and peds ward it cost me nothing at all. i didnt even see a bill at all. it went straight to the alberta health care system and they paid it. And when jenna had her adneniod /tonsil surgery again no bill was charged nothing and the alberta health system paid it. yes the wait here can be long to get into something because we do have universal health care but i would take that over getting a 24 grand bill anyday! Plus if its an emergency with anythign they do get you in fast!

Haha, see I am the exact opposite. I'd rather pay and get seen right away by who I want then wait for forever rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Cece00
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE (Mommy2Isabella @ Jan 28 2008, 12:01 PM)

Thanks guys!!

This is common procedure, actually.

As long as you pay something every month (and really, even if you miss one month, most wont be after you if you pay the next month) they will be OK with it. They know a lot of ppl dont have that kind of $$ to cough up right away.

I wouldnt suggest agreeing to pay a certain amt every month, though, unless you set it very low. Like I wouldnt call & say "I'll send in $150 a month" because if you cant pay that one month, they may call you & want to know whats up.

Any time I've had bigger bills, I just make a copy of the original bill every month & send in a payment. I make a copy of the bill for the acct #. You could also just write it on the "memo" line of the check.

I think $26k is pretty reasonable....when my oldest was born the bill was $13k+ and he didnt even stay in the NICU.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mummy2girls
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 02:50 PM
Quote Post

Thinking of you Spencer!

Member No.: 156

QUOTE (skinkybaby @ Jan 28 2008, 05:14 PM)
QUOTE (JennasMommy @ Jan 28 2008, 02:56 PM)

Haha, see I am the exact opposite. I'd rather pay and get seen right away by who I want then wait for forever rolling_smile.gif

you dont always wait forever! Some thing yes can take 3 months but if it needs to be seen bya doc they will squeeze you in. But i would take that over getting a huge bill in the mail that is more than the cost of buyign a car...LOL

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteMSN
skinkybaby
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 02:52 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 4,328

I know what it's like, I grew up a military brat. The health care is very similar. Yuck yuck yuck yuck.

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 07:02 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

QUOTE (CantWait @ Jan 28 2008, 02:12 PM)

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

ditto.

ohmy.gif ohmy.gif

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 07:12 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (skinkybaby @ Jan 28 2008, 02:52 PM)
I know what it's like, I grew up a military brat. The health care is very similar. Yuck yuck yuck yuck.

Really? Our military medical covers 100% of everything. We never even see a bill. huh.gif
PMEmail Poster
ZandersMama
Posted: Jan 28 2008, 07:49 PM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

omg, i love canada. Zavier was in for over two months, can just imagine what that would have been!

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
Cece00
Posted: Jan 29 2008, 04:29 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 3,100

QUOTE (Bellasmommy10 @ Jan 28 2008, 07:12 PM)
QUOTE (skinkybaby @ Jan 28 2008, 02:52 PM)
I know what it's like, I grew up a military brat.  The health care is very similar.  Yuck yuck yuck yuck.

Really? Our military medical covers 100% of everything. We never even see a bill. huh.gif

I think she meant its free, but the system isnt the best compared to private insurance, and saying she knows what socialized med. in Canada is like since she had military insurance.

--------------------
Crystal

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0187 ]   [ 11 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]