Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Weight gain during pregnancy..., What am I doing wrong?
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 11:55 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,797

I have an 8M old, and am currently 16W pregnant with my second child. I've had some complications, thus far, part of it being my weight. I started at 113, and fluctuate between 110 and 113.

With my 1st, I started at 124, delivered at 141, and then w/in a month dropped to this ridiculous weight. To me, there are different categories of weight, too skinny, thin, healthy, thick, etc. I used to be healthy, now I'm "Yuck!"

At my last visit, 3W ago, my OB said he wanted me to gain 1/2 a week, 'til my B-day (The date of my next visit. What a gift, huh?) and then he wants me to gain a full pound a week from then on. Well, I weighed myself, yesterday, and I'm making no progress. I'm eating anything and everything I can, I satisfy any and all cravings, and I make sure to take my Zofran (anti-nausea meds), as directed. My Doc even put me on pelvic rest, which means no exercise, so I figured with everything I'm eating, I'd have no problem gaining weight. What is wrong with me?

I'm stressed, because I hear all these "horror" stories about underweight women having complications during pregnancy, ...delivery, or even birth defects. Can someone clarify on that, too?
PMUsers Website
A&A'smommy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 11:59 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

awwww I wish I knew more it sounds like you are seriously worried but I think as long as you eat well and don't excercise I'm sure you and your baby will be fine!!! hug.gif

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 12:02 PM
Quote Post

I sure hope so. I pray that everything goes well. My biggest fear is preterm. I kept going into preterm with my DS from 6 1/2M on. I finally made it to the "safe zone" by delivering the very day the Docs told me it would be safe.
PMUsers Website

A&A'smommy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 12:05 PM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

WOW my SIL did that but she gained a LOT of weight while she was pg!!! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!! hug.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 12:08 PM
Quote Post

Thanks. My eyes are actually starting to water. It's hard trying to stay positive, when you feel the odds are against you. That's part of the reason for me finding and joining the Parenting Club. I work with all guys, who can't understand, let alone answer, my questions and concerns. Thanks, again.
PMUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 12:40 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Are you eating high fat foods like Oreos and icecream? Other than that, I don't know how you can "Force" your body to put on weight.
Maybe you can have your OB send you to a nutritionist?
PM
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 12:56 PM
Quote Post

I'm eating anything and everything. My OB said for me to give in to everything, except dirt, etc. Cheesecake, ice cream, cookies, pastries, cake, chocolate. Those are just snacks, I've tried to consistantly finish my meals, but I do get full easily. And there are even days that I can't get full at all. I'll eat 6 or 7 slim jims, 1/2 a cheesecake, 2 candy bars, and 3 bags of chips. That's only after lunch.

As for the nutritionist, I'll talk to him about that. Thanks for the suggestion.
PMUsers Website
canddsmom8
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 01:27 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,812

IDK what to tell ya girlie. maybe try some high carb foods too. Like maybe some pastas or breads.

both times that I was prego, I got so fat that I was a house with feet!! LOL

I hope that everything works out for you.

I'm sure you will be ok. biggrin.gif
PMEmail Poster
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 01:33 PM
Quote Post

Thanks for the reply, encouragement, and especially that chuckle. I NEEDED it. Thanks. smile.gif
PMUsers Website
canddsmom8
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 01:42 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 2,812

I'm sure that if you listen to the doctors orders, you'll be fine. Do you feel weak or anything? Or having any unusual symptoms?
PMEmail Poster
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 02:44 PM
Quote Post

Define unusual. I try not to read too much into symptoms, because everyone emphasizes that no two pregnancies are alike.

The "weirdest" thing for me right now is how some days I could "forget" to eat, if I wasn't careful 'cause I'm not that hungry, and then some days, I can eat 2 value meals, a chicken salad, and 2 apple pies w/in 2 1/2 hours. I guess I don't like the inconsistency of my appetite.

The doctor keeps saying that he's not too concerned, right now, but yet he keeps commenting on my weight, and asking about my appetite and eating habbits.
PMUsers Website
PrairieMom
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 02:47 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

Maybe he is concerned that you are TRYING to be that skinny. There are lots of girls that are anorexic or bulimic that continue their eating disorders through their pregnancys, causing harm to the baby.
PM
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 03:21 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

You want to make sure that you aren't just eating empty calories. There are calorie dense foods that you can eat which also have nutritional value that your fetus needs. For example; whole milk, peanut butter, whole grain breads, beef, protien shakes, flaxseed oil, cheeses, avacados, soybeans etc. It is true that you are what you eat and in your case, your baby is what you eat so while it's ok to indulge in chips and sweets (Lord knows I sure did) for your babies health, you need to focus on making healthy choices. If that means forgoing the sweets because you don't have room for them, then do it.

I would do a search on calorie dense foods and see what you come up with. A meal made from those items will usually contain less food but many more calories. Add oils (olive oil mostly) to everything.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 03:39 PM
Quote Post

Thank you all, so very much. I will be sure to look into a nutritionist, as well as calorie dense foods. I'm also going to make it perfectly clear to my Doc that I AM trying to gain weight. Even if I wasn't pregnant, 5' 3 1/2" @ 113 is just not enough. My neck is small, and makes my head look BIG. I kinda look like a bobble-head. (Trying to bring some humor to this, sorry.)

My next appt. is this coming Thursday, the 17th. I'll keep you all informed. But, please, if you have any more suggestions, please post them. I check this forum VERY regularly. Even when I'm supposed to be doing some coding, I sneak a peak.

Thank you all, and Bless you.
PMUsers Website

booey2
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 101

FiIrst of all welcome to a great board.

Have you ever had your thyroid levels checked? It may be the cause of the rapdi weight loss and the lack of gaining weight, as it regulates your body and your metabolism. You may want to ask your doc about hyperthyroidism. I have the exact opposite - hypothyroidism which slows down the metabolism and everything else. HTH this is just my thoughts.

--------------------
Terri

He is in a happier place.
PMEmail PosterMSN
moped
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 04:52 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

Hi and welcome!!!!!!!!!!!

I have hyperthyroid and I have to say that if that was the case you NEVER would have gotten PG - I think you are doing everything that your body can and sounds like you are very excited for your baby - keep eating all the pasta and bread you want - I WISH!!!!!

Please keep us updated!

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
pinniy
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 05:09 PM
Quote Post

I am open to all suggestions. I actually have been taken notes, from everyone's comments and suggestions, so that I don't forget what I need/want to discuss with my OB.

Yes, I am excited for our new addition. Before my son, I had 1 m/c, and before that, I really believed I couldn't get pregnant. I'm big on being healthy AND happy. So, I'm trying to find, and keep a balance of both.

Thank you all. By the way, right after I checked the last time, I went and made a P&B sandwich, and poured myself a tall glass of whole milk. Wow, who would've thought, one of my childhood favs would come back and be real good for me some day. LOVIN' IT! wub.gif
PMUsers Website
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 07:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

ITA with kit_kats_mom. Make sure you are eating healthy, calorie dense foods and not junk.

Have you tried those weight gaining protein shakes that bodybuilders use? I had a friend in high school who was superskinny and drank 1-2 of them a day just to stay at a healthy weight. I'd check with your Dr. 1st if you want to try that though.
PMEmail Poster
mom2tripp
Posted: Nov 11 2005, 08:56 PM
Quote Post

My little man

Member No.: 1,846

Hi and welcome wavey.gif BTW you have the cutest little boy! We were going to call our little boy Trey but decided on Tripp instead, he's a third also!

I think you are doing just fine. ITA with everyone on the junk food be CAREFUL. I wasn't gaining enough weight in the begining either and decided that junk food was the best way and then I COULDN'T STOP! I gained about 42 pounds with Tripp and it was sooooo hard to get off!

Anway enough of my rambling I think you will be just fine and have a beautiful baby! GOOD LUCK and keep us posted please! Lots of hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif hug.gif to you

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
pinniy
Posted: Nov 12 2005, 06:28 AM
Quote Post

Thank you, and might I add, Tripp is very handsome, too. He looks like he and Trei-Trei have a lot in common. Does he like to pose for the camera? ...even when he's sad or upset? How did y'all pick "Trip?"

Yeah, after I heard about ensuring the calorie dense food, I've decided to start a journal, documenting what, how much, and when I eat. So, if/when I see a nutritionist and my Doc, maybe it'll help.

As for getting the weight off, I wouldn't mind keeping 15 lbs of pregnancy weight after delivery. 'Cause once I go back to sports, I'll turn it into "good" weight, if it's not already. My hubby, OTOH, is the one who has NOOOO problem gaining weight. He gained 34 w/ Trei-Trei, and has kept gaining, even up to and through this pregnancy.
PMUsers Website
TeagansMom609
Posted: Nov 13 2005, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 483

Dont let the Dr.'s scare you. With my last pregnancy I ate like a hog and only gained 16 lbs. My OB's were CONSTANTLY asking me if I was starving myself. I was so annoyed because I wasn't, I was eating ALOT. If you eating normally then what else do they want from you??? I didnt start even gaining until I was 23 weeks with my first pregnancy.

How much did you gain with your son?

Oh, and im 5'4, and I may not be 110-115 lbs anymore but when I was I didnt think I was too skinny! I loved it! Dont be so hard on yourself! I hope after this pregnancy I get back down to that weight.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterAOL
pinniy
Posted: Nov 13 2005, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

With Trei-Trei I gained 17, but my Doc, at the time, said the last 5 or 6 lbs was water in my legs, because I wasn't staying off my feet. He kinda reprimanded me for that. All in all, I started at 124, delivered at 141, and dropped to 113 in less than a month.

Well, I'm supposed to have an appt on the 17th of November, but I might have to push it back, because my hubby won't be in town 'til Sunday the 20th. He really wants to be there for the appt, because he's yet to attend one for this baby. So, we'll see. I'm going to talk to my OB about a nutritionist, protein shakes, and a few other ideas mentioned.
PMUsers Website
pinniy
Posted: Nov 21 2005, 10:43 AM
Quote Post

116!!! I gained 3 lbs. I've been making sure to eat a PB&J & tall glass of whole milk, as a snack, at least every other day. It even looks like I'm developing hips!!!

Thanks for everyone's suggestions.
PMUsers Website
mom2tripp
Posted: Nov 21 2005, 10:45 AM
Quote Post

My little man

Member No.: 1,846

thumb.gif GOOD JOB

--------------------

PMEmail Poster
MyLuvBugs
Posted: Nov 21 2005, 12:20 PM
Quote Post

myluvbugs was here...

Member No.: 2,471

Great job!! PB&J with milk is SOOOOO good for you when you're PG. Try some Cottage cheese and eat lots of red meat. That will give you a bunch of protein and fatty oils which is what the baby is needing to grow properly right now. smile.gif Keep up the good work!! thumb.gif We're all routing for you. smile.gif

--------------------
Erika

Momma to Lorelei & Lexi
Wife to Steven
PMUsers Website

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0157 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]