Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (3) [1] 2 3  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> What about a "natural - organics" forum?
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 01:43 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 89

We all know what the hot topics are here... so why not have a place where that's what's discussed?

I don't mean like a question or whateve to answer, I'm talking about topics where people actualy want to talk about it, discuss it...

..and for the people who make it clear they don't agree, it could be an all-in-one place to avoid..? lol

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 01:55 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,840

thumb.gif Great idea!

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
Mom to Logan, Quentin, Ethan, Hannah, Kayla, & Abigail!
PM
coasterqueen
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 02:21 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Member No.: 236

Is this a forum on organics/naturals or hot topics that you refer to?

It's very very sad that we have to have a hot topic debate forum on organics/naturals sad.gif if that's the case.

I think a forum on organics/naturals (without it having to be a hot topic) is a great idea. thumb.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster

Anthony275
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 02:25 PM
Quote Post

king

Member No.: 11,092

im all for it. i mean, we have a breastfeeding forum that isnt heated
PM
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 02:26 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Mar 30 2008, 05:21 PM)

It's very very sad that we have to have a hot topic debate forum on organics/naturals sad.gif if that's the case.

I think a forum on organics/naturals (without it having to be a hot topic) is a great idea. thumb.gif

lol!

Sorry, I meant stuff that are organic/natural... but also things like topics that seem to be the hot ones here, such as raw milk... but can be things like homeopathy, organic fruits and veggies, organic meat, things like that... cloth diapering, hemp stuff, vegan stuff, just whatever's not mainstream...homemade vs storebough, the why of it... homemade clothing..patterns..just whatever's in the minority..and organics/natural stuff seems to be on the hot list for that

but not just hot topics. Heck there's already a whole forum on breastfeeding/bottlefeeding... lol

--------------------
The richest people don't have the best of everything, they make the best of everything.

user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators! Report a post using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
sparkys2boys
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 02:43 PM
Quote Post

Sleep, is over-rated!!!

Member No.: 6,128

I think it is a great idea!! But in all honesty we know that "some" will not like what they read and will still post in here. I don't think there is any way that they would just not voice there opinion???

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Calimama
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 02:59 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

Good idea! I could learn a lot.
PMEmail Poster
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 03:05 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (sparkys2boys @ Mar 30 2008, 04:43 PM)
I think it is a great idea!! But in all honesty we know that "some" will not like what they read and will still post in here. I don't think there is any way that they would just not voice there opinion???

I think with a separate forum for it, there will be guidelines to follow for those posting there, which might include a "no debates" rule.

If some one doesn't agree with what's posted, they sure don't have to reply. Their silence is more than enough to show their opinion.

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 03:20 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

I agree a place for "natural - organics"
bc ppl. keep repeating posts asking about the same things this way it wont get bumped away and stay above so everyone can keep going back as a referance and or things can be added all the time bc the soap thing was cool but its gone.

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 03:25 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

it's more to keep people who don't like hearing about it from posting useless comments just ruining the thread, so that the people who actually ARE interested in discussing it can without haveing to justify themselves to people who don't care, and are only coming into a whole separate forum dedicated to that, to cause trouble.

It would be nice to be able to talk constructively about a topic such as the raw milk one, without having to stop drop and roll and have to deal with other things. rolleyes.gif

With a seperate forum, the people who don't want to read it can stay away. Sort of like the same reason the parenting news was put up...?

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
gr33n3y3z
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 04:04 PM
Quote Post

Doin Good :~

Member No.: 822

either way its a good idea smile.gif

--------------------
Wife to Ed (Redchief)
Mom to Rick,John,Erin and Kaitlin

"Believe 100% in what you see believe 50% of what read and none of what you hear"
PMICQAOLMSN
PrairieMom
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 06:46 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Mar 30 2008, 05:26 PM)
QUOTE (coasterqueen @ Mar 30 2008, 05:21 PM)

It's very very sad that we have to have a hot topic debate forum on organics/naturals sad.gif  if that's the case.

lol!

Sorry, I meant stuff that are organic/natural... but also things like topics that seem to be the hot ones here, such as raw milk... but can be things like homeopathy, organic fruits and veggies, organic meat, things like that... cloth diapering, hemp stuff, vegan stuff, just whatever's not mainstream...homemade vs storebough, the why of it... homemade clothing..patterns..just whatever's in the minority..and organics/natural stuff seems to be on the hot list for that

but not just hot topics. Heck there's already a whole forum on breastfeeding/bottlefeeding... lol

so, basically a crunchy forum. laugh.gif sure. what ever. I use the "todays topics" button, so I am an equal opportunity poster.
PM
ZandersMama
Posted: Mar 30 2008, 06:55 PM
Quote Post

Jesus answers knee mail

Member No.: 1,776

QUOTE (PrairieMom @ Mar 30 2008, 09:46 PM)

so, basically a crunchy forum. laugh.gif sure. what ever. I use the "todays topics" button, so I am an equal opportunity poster.

tongue.gif me too

--------------------
PMEmail PosterMSN
Crystalina
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 05:36 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

So does that mean someone like myself who may question something (like the questions I now have in the home birth thread) would be considered a "trouble maker" for going in to ask questions? Questions sometimes agitate other members or may be taken the totally wrong way. Sometimes a simple question (for me) may seem like an attack on someone elses beliefs.

I'm not sure how fair it is to put in a forum that I would be interested in (because I do read all the crunchy parts of this board happy.gif and have learned some) but I may not be able to post in if I question something or say something doesn't work for me. It sounds like it will be a forum full of "you have to agree with the OP or don't post" kind of thing.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? huh.gif

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN

Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Mar 31 2008, 06:11 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Crystalina @ Mar 31 2008, 08:36 PM)
So does that mean someone like myself who may question something (like the questions I now have in the home birth thread) would be considered a "trouble maker" for going in to ask questions? Questions sometimes agitate other members or may be taken the totally wrong way. Sometimes a simple question (for me) may seem like an attack on someone elses beliefs.

I'm not sure how fair it is to put in a forum that I would be interested in (because I do read all the crunchy parts of this board happy.gif and have learned some) but I may not be able to post in if I question something or say something doesn't work for me. It sounds like it will be a forum full of "you have to agree with the OP or don't post" kind of thing.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong? huh.gif

that's not what I meant.... sorry you took it that way.

we all know some members don't agree with most of this side of things... and so they could choose to just not come in and post their rebuttles, so that the people who are genuinly interested in learning about it can do so without fear of the "debate" that generally ensues.

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
sparkys2boys
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 05:30 AM
Quote Post

Sleep, is over-rated!!!

Member No.: 6,128

ya, it's sad when a debate starts about not starting a debate..lol!!! I just wish that everyone could mellow out around here some and not get so defensive wink.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterMSN
Bamamom
Posted: Apr 3 2008, 06:13 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

I think it's a great idea. I know I may be seen as not being into the organic/natural stuff but there are some things that I'm totally down with. Usually my problem comes when someone states their opinion as fact - then I guess the professor in me comes out. I like to see fact be fact and opinion be opinion and I think sometimes people are mislead by others stating their opinions as fact.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
grapfruit
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

rolling_smile.gif I was JUST coming here to suggest the SAME THING!!!!!!

Great minds Rocky..... emlaugh.gif

I just want Organic/Green tips. No debate for me tongue.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 09:07 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Bamamom @ Apr 3 2008, 09:13 AM)
Usually my problem comes when someone states their opinion as fact - then I guess the professor in me comes out. I like to see fact be fact and opinion be opinion and I think sometimes people are mislead by others stating their opinions as fact.

yeah, but there's a difference in coming to ask genuine questions about the subject, and coming in to question those who post the subject, making them out to be "wrong". Most of these types of topics are opinion based, so to come in and say, basically, that "it's just your opinion, it's not fact" would be totally not necessary, it's just rubbing in the obvious, and as seen before, causes unnecessary hurt feelings... we all know that anything that's against typical popular research is "opinions", rather than "fact"... but our life experiences ARE our own facts. Not sure how to explain what I'm trying to say... someone reword me... lol

Maybe there could be a wording of some type, for like - Living like a Hippie or something... where the emphasis is the benefits seen through life experiences rather than the scientific proof from research that the subjects are "wrong". As in, you know, coming into the forum right from the start, that it's PRO-whatever rather than just a topic to debate the pros and cons, but also where the people who aren't Pro-whatever can still come in and ask questions and discuss it to see the other side of things... not to come in and tell us that what we're doing is harmful because it goes against what the CDC, AAP and all that says. That's their "opinion", not "fact". wink.gif

I would just like to see a place where I can talk about something with likeminded people without having to scroll through all the posts from people who don't believe in it, or are just arguing about it for the sake of arguing about it.

A crunchy forum, I guess, like Tara said... somewhere I know that the people in there WILL be for breastfeeding, cloth diapering, gardening, homemade baby food, organics, etc etc etc or a combination of any of them, or even none of them but a genuine interest... I'm not interested in talking about a subject, like cloth diapers for instance, and seeing 20 replies in which 16 of them are "i don't belive in that" or "it's not for me"... if it's not for you, then don't post! laugh.gif blink.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
grapfruit
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 09:33 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 5,476

See I want a forum like that because personally I don't KNOW if it's not for me. I want the resources to weigh it out and see.

For instance, before the post on cloth diapering by Carly's mom (can't remember the name, sorry unsure.gif ) I would of NEVER thought "Oh I'm going to do that!" But the more I think about it, the more I want to try it out. Heck, I don't know, it may not be for me, but I'm thinking I'm willing to try it.

So of the other stuff too, I've simply NEVER thought about. Like making my own butter, or yogurt, or a host of other things. It simply didn't cross my mind. My mom didn't do that stuff, mostly b/c she didn't have time, so why WOULD I think about that. KWIM??

I just want people's life experiences and all that. SURE they may not be what the "government" thinks, but heck, why should I let the government make my choices anyway? They have an agenda and I don't necessarily think it lines up w/my agenda.

I guess what I'm saying is I just want the opinions and experiences of other people so I can motify them to my life, if I so choose. AND I can ask questions and educate myself on HOW they do it, what works for them, ect.

This post has been edited by grapfruit on Apr 11 2008, 09:33 AM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
MommyToAshley
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 10:05 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I just saw this... and wanted to reply that I think it's a good idea. I wonder if it would be best as a sub-category under recipes and crafts though or the Health forums.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Hillbilly Housewife
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 10:06 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Thanks Casey - you've more eloquently said what I was trying to. happy.gif

--------------------

user posted image

PMEmail Poster
Crystalina
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,338

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 11 2008, 09:07 AM)

Maybe there could be a wording of some type, for like - Living like a Hippie or something... where the emphasis is the benefits seen through life experiences rather than the scientific proof from research that the subjects are "wrong". As in, you know, coming into the forum right from the start, that it's PRO-whatever rather than just a topic to debate the pros and cons, but also where the people who aren't Pro-whatever can still come in and ask questions and discuss it to see the other side of things... not to come in and tell us that what we're doing is harmful because it goes against what the CDC, AAP and all that says. That's their "opinion", not "fact". wink.gif

Now that's a good idea.

--------------------
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
mommy~to~a~bunch
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 10:33 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

QUOTE (Hillbilly Housewife @ Apr 11 2008, 12:07 PM)
QUOTE (Bamamom @ Apr 3 2008, 09:13 AM)
Usually my problem comes when someone states their opinion as fact - then I guess the professor in me comes out.  I like to see fact be fact and opinion be opinion and I think sometimes people are mislead by others stating their opinions as fact.

yeah, but there's a difference in coming to ask genuine questions about the subject, and coming in to question those who post the subject, making them out to be "wrong". Most of these types of topics are opinion based, so to come in and say, basically, that "it's just your opinion, it's not fact" would be totally not necessary, it's just rubbing in the obvious, and as seen before, causes unnecessary hurt feelings... we all know that anything that's against typical popular research is "opinions", rather than "fact"... but our life experiences ARE our own facts. Not sure how to explain what I'm trying to say... someone reword me... lol

I would just like to see a place where I can talk about something with likeminded people without having to scroll through all the posts from people who don't believe in it, or are just arguing about it for the sake of arguing about it.

A crunchy forum, I guess, like Tara said... somewhere I know that the people in there WILL be for breastfeeding, cloth diapering, gardening, homemade baby food, organics, etc etc etc or a combination of any of them, or even none of them but a genuine interest... I'm not interested in talking about a subject, like cloth diapers for instance, and seeing 20 replies in which 16 of them are "i don't belive in that" or "it's not for me"... if it's not for you, then don't post! laugh.gif blink.gif

"Living like a Hippie" - LOVE it rolling_smile.gif thumb.gif .

--------------------
~*~Mollie~*~
PM
Bamamom
Posted: Apr 11 2008, 10:41 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Member No.: 3,297

QUOTE (grapfruit @ Apr 11 2008, 09:33 AM)

Maybe there could be a wording of some type, for like - Living like a Hippie or something... where the emphasis is the benefits seen through life experiences rather than the scientific proof from research that the subjects are "wrong". As in, you know, coming into the forum right from the start, that it's PRO-whatever rather than just a topic to debate the pros and cons, but also where the people who aren't Pro-whatever can still come in and ask questions and discuss it to see the other side of things... not to come in and tell us that what we're doing is harmful because it goes against what the CDC, AAP and all that says. That's their "opinion", not "fact".

A crunchy forum, I guess, like Tara said... somewhere I know that the people in there WILL be for breastfeeding, cloth diapering, gardening, homemade baby food, organics, etc etc etc or a combination of any of them, or even none of them but a genuine interest... I'm not interested in talking about a subject, like cloth diapers for instance, and seeing 20 replies in which 16 of them are "i don't belive in that" or "it's not for me"... if it's not for you, then don't post!

I still think this forum is a great idea. Alot of us have so much to learn about "crunchy" (I love that rolling_smile.gif ) stuff and it would be neat to have a place to exchange ideas about such things.

Rocky I'm sorry I'm responding so late to this - somehow I missed your previous post. I totally see what your saying but I KNOW I'm going to be one of those people who occasionally jumps in and says "That's opinion, not fact." And I swear I wouldn't mean anything personal by it - it's just that you have folks who are looking for information and take the word of others as fact - not because they don't have better sense than not to do so but because the person presented it as fact. And to me there is a difference. It's one thing to say (and can we please not get the whole home birth things stirred up again here folks? I'm only using this as an example because it happened recently) "I think homebirths are safer than hospital births." It's another to say, "I was surprised to learn that homebirths are safer than hospital births." I would never think to challenge the first statement - everyone has the right to their opinion. I would feel almost honor bound by my academic background to challenge the second.

I hope that made sense to someone other than me!

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (3) [1] 2 3  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0147 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]