Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Pregnancy and BF, Need answers fast
Bamamom
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 07:49 AM
Quote Post

Changing lives one diaper at a time since 2006

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,297

bawling.gif My OB says I have to stop. I don't want to stop! bawling.gif This has upset me so badly. I love BF Katie and I'm not ready to give it up. Somebody please point me towards some hard evidence saying it's okay to do both.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 07:53 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 1,035

For what reason do you have to stop did they say?

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 32

We have had PLEANTY of moms BF and who were PG (or are). I say find a new OB one that will support YOU.

you can do both, unless you have a medical reason, I dont see what the problem is. Did your OB give you a reason?

hug.gif

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster

Bamamom
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 08:02 AM
Quote Post

Actually I talked to my OB's nurse. I'm calling him on his cell tonight after he gets off work. We are very close to him and I kind of think he might support me on continuing to BF but if he really feels that it's harmful he won't. And I trust his judgement.

The reason the nurse gave was that it causes the uterus to contract and that can be dangerous/harmful during pg.

I'm hoping that he just RECOMMENDS that you stop and will give me the go ahead when he hears how important this is to me. I don't want to HAVE to wean her. That sucks. bawling.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
moped
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 08:03 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Well yeah! Lets see what some of the BF gurus say on here......

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
amynicole21
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 08:13 AM
Quote Post

Mmmm. Ice cream!

Member No.: 69

No need to stop unless you are having complications. Your nurse is just being cautious, but she is wrong.

--------------------
user posted image

The Administrators of the Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the Moderators. Report a violation using the "report" button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteYahoo
jcc64
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I think that's old school thinking. There are plenty of pg women who bf. Where's Karen when you need her??????

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
BabyOwen427
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 08:30 AM
Quote Post

Jazz Hands!!

Member No.: 4,095

I got this from kellymom.com
I think your nurse is misinformed and she needs to do her research before she goes around scaring patients like this.
----------------------------

Nursing During Pregnancy and Tandem Nursing FAQ:
Is it safe to nurse during pregnancy?
Yes, in most cases. At this time no medical study has been done on the safety of breastfeeding during pregnancy so it is impossible to list any definitive contraindications. If you are having a complicated pregnancy, such as lost weight, bleeding, or signs of preterm labor, you should problem-solve your individual situation with your caregiver. Depending on your individual situation and feelings you may decide that continued breastfeeding, reduced breastfeeding, or weaning is for the best.

Breastfeeding Contractions
Although uterine contractions are experienced during breastfeeding, they are a normal part of pregnancy. Similar contractions often occur during sexual intercourse, which many couples continue throughout pregnancy.

Miscarriage/Preterm Labor Risks
This is a common worry, but it does not appear to have a strong foundation. A recent review of research on the pregnant uterus reveals that there is actually no theoretical basis for the common concern that breastfeeding can lead to miscarriage or preterm labor in healthy pregnancies. Instead the uterus has many safeguards preventing a strong reaction to the oxytocin that breastfeeding releases.

Interestingly, experts on miscarriage and preterm labor are not among those who see a potential link between breastfeeding and these pregnancy complications. Miscarriage expert Lesley Regan, PhD, MD, quoted in Adventures in Tandem Nursing, saw no reason that breastfeeding should impact pregnancy, even if the mother has a history of miscarriage or is experiencing a threatened miscarriage.

Mother's health
There is no evidence that a well nourished mother who nurses during pregnancy is at risk nutritionally. Breastfeeding does not increase a mother's risk for osteoporosis, even when the mother nurses during pregnancy. Breastfeeding reduces the mother's risk of breast cancer.

Nursling's health
Your child will benefit from breastfeeding into the second year and beyond. The milk is just as safe during pregnancy, but pregnancy can cause milk to dwindle and can also motivate mother and child to wean. Thus if pregnancy does cause a child to receive less milk, the child will receive proportionally fewer of milk's health advantages. Indeed, weaning before two years increases the risk of illness for a child, according to the American Academy of Family Physicians.

--------------------
Beth, proud Army wife to Curtis, supermommy to Owen!

user posted image user posted image user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Jamison'smama
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 11:29 AM
Quote Post

My Little Loves

Member No.: 214

I nursed Jamison for several months into my pregnancy and would have kept going but she weaned herself---sometimes your supply gets lower so you may have to work to keep up the supply but it's certainly possible. There are plenty of moms who nurse through the entire pregnancy and tandem nurse afterwards....I can't remember who on here did, I think Tammy (paradisemommy) did and I'm sure there are others.

Definitely research before you wean.

--------------------
Brenda, a mom and wife in love with my family

The administrators of Parenting Club take violators of the Terms of Service Agreement seriously. Please report any suspicions to the moderators. Report a post using the report button in the upper right corner of the offending post.
PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 07:42 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

I nursed Jaci until I was 21 weeks with Giselle, when my supply just stopped. I would have continued if I could have. rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 07:59 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I nursed Katherine until I was mos preg with Lauren. Your milk does change and your supply may drop signifigantly, but there is no reason to stop nursing unless you are at risk for miscarriage. Well, that and the fact that your nips may feel like they are going to explode with pain sometimes. rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by kit_kats_mom on Nov 27 2007, 08:00 PM

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
maestra
Posted: Nov 27 2007, 09:06 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Nov 27 2007, 08:59 PM)
I nursed Katherine until I was mos preg with Lauren. Your milk does change and your supply may drop signifigantly, but there is no reason to stop nursing unless you are at risk for miscarriage. Well, that and the fact that your nips may feel like they are going to explode with pain sometimes. rolling_smile.gif

I do have to agree with this one! This happened to me right before my supply stopped.

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 02:00 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

karen is back how about pm'ing her?

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
Bamamom
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:44 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (calebsmom @ Nov 28 2007, 02:00 AM)

I'll do that - I've got a call in to my OB but from everything I've read I just don't see why I should have to stop.

As one website put it - if it's okay with your OB for you to have sex it should be okay for you to BF because they both cause the same type of uterine contractions.

Of course I don't know anyone who DTD 8 times a day! rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster

moped
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 07:47 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

QUOTE (Bamamom @ Nov 28 2007, 10:44 AM)
QUOTE (calebsmom @ Nov 28 2007, 02:00 AM)

I'll do that - I've got a call in to my OB but from everything I've read I just don't see why I should have to stop.

As one website put it - if it's okay with your OB for you to have sex it should be okay for you to BF because they both cause the same type of uterine contractions.

Of course I don't know anyone who DTD 8 times a day! rolling_smile.gif

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Nov 28 2007, 08:20 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I heard it was okay. I wouldn't stop. hug.gif

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
paradisemommy
Posted: Dec 4 2007, 01:24 AM
Quote Post

Brother/Sister Love :)

Member No.: 142

i'm late as always but i nursed through-out my whole pregnancy and this was against my doctors orders too - i just played along - told them okay and ignored them.

i found out when i was pg with my dd that she only had a 2 vessel umbilical cord vs. a normal 3 vessel cord which kinda freaked me out too but she came out perfectly healthy - i had to have 2 c-sections and so i scheduled hers a little early and my doctor was completely shocked to hear that i did nurse the whole time i was pg WITH the 2 vessel cord and she came out 8 lbs. 1 oz.

i think docs like to err on the cautious side - there are no studies done on bf while pregnant because those studies would be unethical so it's really unchartered territory and what they don't know they automatically tell you don't do it. we as moms know how to listen to our internal clock - if something doesn't feel right then consult your dr. but i think it's perfectly safe..

--------------------
May your troubles be less,
your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0132 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]