Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) [1] 2  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> I'm going to try it, Fiber 35 Diet
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 29 2008, 09:56 AM
Quote Post

My two cuties :)

Group: Members
Member No.: 788

I'd never heard of it until Stacy posted about it, but I went and looked it up and it sounds like a good plan - the only thing I don't like about it is having to count calories, but with weight watchers you have to do that too, and this is free. There is a book, but I'm going to try to find it at the library. If they don't have it my sister and I are going to buy it together and share. smile.gif
One thing though, I've never realized how hard it is to get enough fiber! Almost all of the foods that are highest in fiber are things that I detest and would never be able to choke them down. They do recommend a fiber supplement, but those are so expensive so we'll see if I can do that part or not. I just finished lunch, and I've only managed to get 8 grams of fiber so far! I thought I was doing ok too - I had a bowl of cheerios for breakfast, and a turkey sandwich (with miracle whip instead of mayo even though mayo is WAY better dry.gif I need to get some light mayo) with one serving's worth of baked Cheetos and some grapes and cantaloupe. I'm going to try it for awhile though, it certainly can't hurt! happy.gif

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

user posted imageLilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM
A&A'smommy
Posted: Jun 29 2008, 10:16 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 243

I had to go back and read Stacys post because I remembered wondering how loosing so much in one week was safe.. anyway it actually sounds kinda like weight watchers.. but do you know if you can do it while your breastfeeding? I'm loosing weight on my own BUT I feel like I'm STARVING all the time anyway let me know how it works for you!!

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted image
user posted image
PMEmail PosterYahooMSN
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 29 2008, 02:09 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

my dh and I are also going to try it...
so i am so glad you are too. i am sure of need of some support here!
i think i am going to get some fiber tabs to help increase my fiber until i get better at finding it in foods.
i am also trying to find a library with the book so i dont have to buy it.

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website

~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 29 2008, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (alyssa'smommy @ Jun 29 2008, 01:16 PM)
I had to go back and read Stacys post because I remembered wondering how loosing so much in one week was safe.. anyway it actually sounds kinda like weight watchers.. but do you know if you can do it while your breastfeeding? I'm loosing weight on my own BUT I feel like I'm STARVING all the time anyway let me know how it works for you!!

You don't have to take any pills or anything on it, so in that way it would be safe while BF, but you are supposed to cut way down on calories, especially in the first phase. For my phase one I'm supposed to eat no more than 1408 calories a day. (which I think will be a lot easier than I thought - today I tried it to see how it would go and it was surprisingly enough food. happy.gif ) But if you're already losing weight on your own, you could just keep doing what you're doing and also start really trying to eat as much fiber as you can. She recommends strength training too to boost your metabolism - I'm going to pull out my pilates dvd that I haven't done for about 4 years. blush.gif

I feel like I'm starving all of the time, too. wacko.gif I was snacking so much before I started trying to lose weight that I was almost never hungry. I'll bet breastfeeding is making that worse for you - I remember being hungry all the time when I was bf.

--------------------
Sara ~ Wife to Scott, Mommy to Andrew 6-12-05, Alison 2-20-07, and our angel in heaven 4-20-06

PM
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 29 2008, 08:48 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Jun 29 2008, 05:09 PM)
i think i am going to get some fiber tabs to help increase my fiber until i get better at finding it in foods.

I got some fiber capsules at target tonight (the target brand ones just like the metamucil ones). Then I got them home and realized that you have to take SIX of them to get 3 grams of fiber! ohmy.gif I'm going to take them anyways... they were only $3. wink.gif You can take them up to 3 times a day, so that would be 9 grams. I got some rasin bran too, and I'm going to start eating that instead of my cheerios for breakfast and evening snacks. I'm going to miss my cheerios. sleep.gif tongue.gif

I'm officially starting tomorrow. When are you and your husband going to start? Good luck! hug.gif

--------------------

PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 06:58 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

Member No.: 32

so the gist is calorie counting and making sure you get 25g of fiber a day?

--------------------
Di ~ mommy to Kaitlin wife to David
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 08:32 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (Kaitlin'smom @ Jun 30 2008, 09:58 AM)
so the gist is calorie counting and making sure you get 25g of fiber a day?

Yep - it's basically just a classic counting calories and exercising diet, but with the added boost of eating 35 grams of fiber. It is a lot like weight watchers like Jessy said. The reason I like this one so much though is because they don't try to make you buy anything. She has a book, and products you can buy, but they don't push any of it at all and the membership is free. thumb.gif

This post has been edited by ~Roo'sMama~ on Jun 30 2008, 08:33 AM

--------------------

PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 02:05 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (~Roo'sMama~ @ Jun 30 2008, 12:48 AM)
QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Jun 29 2008, 05:09 PM)

I got some fiber capsules at target tonight (the target brand ones just like the metamucil ones). Then I got them home and realized that you have to take SIX of them to get 3 grams of fiber! ohmy.gif I'm going to take them anyways... they were only $3. wink.gif You can take them up to 3 times a day, so that would be 9 grams. I got some rasin bran too, and I'm going to start eating that instead of my cheerios for breakfast and evening snacks. I'm going to miss my cheerios. sleep.gif tongue.gif

I'm officially starting tomorrow. When are you and your husband going to start? Good luck! hug.gif

we are hoping to start monday...i wanted to get the book at the library but so far have not found it..
our library system here isnt really nice.

but if i have to buy it then i will.
i also am thinking of getting her fiber tabs just because they were more per gram..
but i was going to see what i could find at the health food store..
there is some new yogurt on tv i just saw that says it has a daily dose of fiber in it.

good luck to you too.
we can pm for support!

--------------------

Our Lil' Family
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 02:30 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Member No.: 2,459

I have a friend who lost like 70 lbs by increasing her fiber intake! Fiber One makes a good cereal (caramel crunch I think) that has 9 grams of fiber, I have some now, it's really good, tastes like Cinnamon Toast Crunch! They also have good bars too, and yogurt.

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 02:33 PM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

One word...Kashi

tastes like sticks and twigs with cardboard tossed in for good measure but it's got LOADS of fiber.

Also, prunes have a lot of fiber

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN
Sam & Abby's Mom
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 02:53 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 11,125

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jun 30 2008, 05:33 PM)
One word...Kashi

tastes like sticks and twigs with cardboard tossed in for good measure but it's got LOADS of fiber.

lol ! I actually like Kashi.
Right now we have the Kashi go lean crunch.
Each serving has 9 g of protein, 8 g of fiber and 7 whole grains.

--------------------
Peggy
Wife to Tim (Oct 1996)
Mom to Sammy (Nov 2004), Abby (Jun 2006)
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (kit_kats_mom @ Jun 30 2008, 05:33 PM)
One word...Kashi

rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif I have tried Kashi a couple times and I didn't like it then, but I think they have more kinds now. I ate some sticks for breakfast this morning - a bowl of All Bran. tongue.gif It was actually pretty good. happy.gif I don't think I could eat a huge bowl of it though, so I was pretty glad that one serving size is only 1/2 cup! One serving has 10 grams of fiber... I could just eat that three times a day and then have an apple and I'd be all set. laugh.gif

--------------------

PM
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 04:17 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (boyohboyohboy @ Jun 30 2008, 05:05 PM)
we are hoping to start monday...i wanted to get the book at the library but so far have not found it..
our library system here isnt really nice.

but if i have to buy it then i will.
i also am thinking of getting her fiber tabs just because they were more per gram..
but i was going to see what i could find at the health food store..
there is some new yogurt on tv i just saw that says it has a daily dose of fiber in it.

good luck to you too.
we can pm for support!

I haven't even tried to look for the book yet - I keep forgetting. blush.gif I'm just going ahead without it, and if I find it then I'll read it. tongue.gif I didn't see her fiber tabs when I was looking at her products.. I'll have to go back and look again. I took six of those fiber pills today that I got from Target and they made me feel sick. wacko.gif

--------------------

PM
My3LilMonkeys
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 2,419

thumb.gif Good luck to both of you!!!! Just a word of warning from my personal experience - drastically increasing your fiber all at once can cause major stomach issues. You're better off increasing slowly over a week or so, especially if your fiber is low normally.

This post has been edited by brookeandmadisonsmom on Jun 30 2008, 04:32 PM
PMEmail Poster

lovemy2
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 05:19 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

I am thinking of trying this too - I have to get the book though - cause I am obsessive like that laugh.gif

Anyway - I found All Bran drink mix - 10 g of fiber per packet - you know the ones you put in a bottle of water - they have pink lemonade and also an ice tea flavor......

Bring on the farts though - everytime I eat my fiber I get more gas emlaugh.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jun 30 2008, 08:31 PM
Quote Post

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Jun 30 2008, 07:32 PM)
thumb.gif Good luck to both of you!!!! Just a word of warning from my personal experience - drastically increasing your fiber all at once can cause major stomach issues. You're better off increasing slowly over a week or so, especially if your fiber is low normally.

I wondered about that. I definitely don't normally get this much fiber, but I think I got about half most days. We'll see how it goes... hopefully it won't be too bad. tongue.gif

--------------------

PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jul 1 2008, 09:45 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (brookeandmadisonsmom @ Jun 30 2008, 08:32 PM)

i was just going to write this same thing..they do say to start out slow..

--------------------

~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jul 2 2008, 06:08 AM
Quote Post

Well maybe I was getting more fiber than I realized without thinking about it... I'm on day three and haven't had any problems with it except for those fiber pills - they made me feel sick to my stomach. I only took them on the first day - yesterday I was afraid to take them because I didn't want them to make me sick.

Oh and I had Dh get me some of that All Bran fiber drink, and it tastes pretty good. thumb.gif I got the pink lemonade flavor. It has sucralose in it though, and I don't like to use artificial sweeteners so I won't be drinking it every day. wink.gif

--------------------

PM
jcc64
Posted: Jul 2 2008, 07:40 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Have you ever tried Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal? That's really good. Also, look for Thomas' double fiber whole grain english muffins, and Freihoffer's double fiber wheat bread. Tastes exactly the same, but you're getting more fiber. That's all I serve to my kids.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jul 2 2008, 09:50 AM
Quote Post

QUOTE (jcc64 @ Jul 2 2008, 10:40 AM)
Have you ever tried Cracklin' Oat Bran cereal? That's really good. Also, look for Thomas' double fiber whole grain english muffins, and Freihoffer's double fiber wheat bread. Tastes exactly the same, but you're getting more fiber. That's all I serve to my kids.

I've never tried it - I'll have to look for it, and the bread too, when we go grocery shopping again. I'm already getting sick of All Bran cereal. wacko.gif

--------------------

PM
Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jul 2 2008, 11:04 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

I have uped my fiber intake as well, deffinalty helping thumb.gif I dont think I am at 35g yet but I know I am in the high 20's now.

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jul 2 2008, 12:00 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

i broke down and ordered my book today. i tried the library to no avail, so i wanted to get started..
should be here in a few days.
my problem is trying to find things that are higher in fiber content but not higher in sugar content!
i see yoplat has a new fiber yogurt.
but isnt cracklin oat bran full of sugar?
i am also going to try one of those fiber sprinkles...
like the benefiber..no added sugar..

--------------------

Kaitlin'smom
Posted: Jul 3 2008, 07:03 AM
Quote Post

Graceland

okay if anyone has a sensitive stomach be sure to increse the intake slowly.....I ate way to much fiber yesterday from what I am used to and man not feeling so hot today.

GL all.

I am down 3.5 in 1.5 weeks biggrin.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
~Roo'sMama~
Posted: Jul 3 2008, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

I'm not having any stomach problems from the fiber, but I am so hungry and weak feeling all of the time. I'm starting to wonder if this is worth it. dry.gif I'm supposed to be eating no more than 1236 calories a day - which seems kind of low but I've been doing it. I have hardly any energy though - today I barely managed to do 20 minutes on my elliptical machine, and now I'm beat. I wonder if this will only work if I buy the supplements she sells. Which I probably can't afford. rolleyes.gif I don't know what it will be at the end of the week, but as of today I've lost a pound, and gained half a pound back. I know that your weight can fluctuate throughout the week, but I was losing weight at the same rate just doing my own thing and not bothering with this calorie counting nonsense. dry.gif

Maybe I just need to stick with it a while longer... I don't know. But I'm feeling pretty discouraged about it right now. Since tomorrow is the fourth, I don't think I'm going to count calories and fiber tomorrow, and just try not to go overboard. Maybe I'll start again on monday. unsure.gif

--------------------

PM
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jul 3 2008, 05:42 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

sara did u get the book?
are you doing the starvation part now?

--------------------

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) [1] 2  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0142 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]