Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Kids and deoderant
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 05:31 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

At what age do kids usually start wearing deodorant? I can't for the life of me remember when I started wearing it. happy.gif My niece wears it at age 10 and the child needs to. She STINKS a lot of the time. When she comes to visit, some times I want to say "hey you, go put on more deodorant." tongue.gif Because sometimes her BO can be BAD. But I don't, because I don't want to cause her any emotional issues over it. tongue.gif

We don't have our niece often as she lives in Georgia, but she's coming to visit us next week and in the past when she's visited and used deodorant Kylie has asked me when she will start wearing deodorant and I know the question will come up this time. happy.gif

I guess the obvious answer would be when they start to smell like BO all the time, but just was wondering when other kids started wearing it. ?

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
PrairieMom
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 05:35 AM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 2,561

My parents gave me my first stick in 5th grade. I remember , because my dad did the shopping and bought me old spice. rolleyes.gif I wore it off and on. I don't remember when it became a daily thing.
PM
msoulz
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 05:53 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

My 5th grade, 11 year old son just started wearing it recently. DH noted that the boy was a bit stinky, and after taking a quick pit sniff, my son proclaimed "Oh, man, that smells like a hot dog in a trash can!" and decided deodorant was indeed a good idea! rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM

Nina J
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 06:29 AM
Quote Post

Praying For Spencer

Member No.: 3,398

I figured around the time they start puberty. I always thought BO had something to do with reaching puberty?

I looked it up on wikipedia:

' Propionic acid (propanoic acid) is present in many sweat samples. This acid is a breakdown product of some amino acids by propionibacteria, which thrive in the ducts of adolescent and adult sebaceous glands.'

I started wearing deoderant around the time I started having a shower instead of a bath. My mother used to give me a bath, so when I started showering I was by myself. I used to put her mouisteriser on too emlaugh.gif But I hardly every wear it anyway, except summer.

This post has been edited by Nina J on Jun 8 2010, 06:30 AM

--------------------
Nina, Mama to Emily Kate, Odessa Jean & Aysun Aleisha.
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 07:27 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Nina J @ Jun 8 2010, 09:29 AM)
I figured around the time they start puberty. I always thought BO had something to do with reaching puberty?

I looked it up on wikipedia:

' Propionic acid (propanoic acid) is present in many sweat samples. This acid is a breakdown product of some amino acids by propionibacteria, which thrive in the ducts of adolescent and adult sebaceous glands.'

I started wearing deoderant around the time I started having a shower instead of a bath. My mother used to give me a bath, so when I started showering I was by myself. I used to put her mouisteriser on too emlaugh.gif But I hardly every wear it anyway, except summer.

laugh.gif Can't go by the bath to shower thing because both my girls take showers. They take baths sometimes too, but mainly showers. happy.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
luvbug00
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 08:14 AM
Quote Post

awhat!

Member No.: 1,984

Mya started at 9. she just got soooo smelly. she wears teen deodorant. As natural as i could find.

--------------------
user posted image
Mya 7-1-00
PMEmail PosterYahoo
bluebear
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 09:35 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 22,716

9 is a safe age. I use Dry Idea, it's clear and unscented gel. I hate using a stick.
PMAOLYahooMSN
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 12:57 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

It seems to be a kid by kid issue, FWIS. Olivia is 9.75. She got some about a year ago but doesn't really "need" it. She still has the same first one we bought her. One of her friends needed it at 7 (but didn't have it). Eeks! That girl stinks like a man!!!

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
mom21kid2dogs
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 12:59 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (msoulz @ Jun 8 2010, 08:53 AM)
My 5th grade, 11 year old son just started wearing it recently. DH noted that the boy was a bit stinky, and after taking a quick pit sniff, my son proclaimed "Oh, man, that smells like a hot dog in a trash can!" and decided deodorant was indeed a good idea! rolling_smile.gif

Hilarious!!!! rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 04:24 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

QUOTE (msoulz @ Jun 8 2010, 08:53 AM)

hmm..girls dont like hotdog in the trash can smell??? I am going to get caleb some of that then to keep the girls away! rolleyes.gif

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MommytoKKC
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 04:50 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 20,506

I have been having my girls use it on hot days or when they have gym (they are 8 and 9). When I was teaching, it amazed me how much little kids smell! When they come in from recess or back from gym, you wish they all had deodarant.
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

I always thought that it wasn't safe for kids to use deodorant because of the chemicals, particularly parabens and aluminum. Ashley wanted to use deodorant and I looked at the natural and the teen deodorants and they still contained these ingredients. She doesn't need it yet so I just told her she doesn't need it yet but soon will. But, if anyone has found a brand that is safe for kids, please let me know... it's never too early to start good hygiene.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 06:01 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ Jun 8 2010, 08:53 PM)
I always thought that it wasn't safe for kids to use deodorant because of the chemicals, particularly parabens and aluminum.  Ashley wanted to use deodorant and I looked at the natural and the teen deodorants and they still contained these ingredients.  She doesn't need it yet so I just told her she doesn't need it yet but soon will.  But, if anyone has found a brand that is safe for kids, please let me know... it's never too early to start good hygiene.

We use organic deoderants that don't have those things in them, which is what Kylie will use so it's not an issue for us. I haven't look at which one I'd have her use, though. Ryan uses a crystal stick. I use a regular deoderant stick that is "organic" from our local health food store.

ETA: it's not really safe for any of us to use those types of deoderants with the chemicals, not just kids.

This post has been edited by coasterqueen on Jun 8 2010, 06:03 PM

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
maestra
Posted: Jun 8 2010, 07:29 PM
Quote Post

Giselle Rebecca

Member No.: 115

Jaci uses Tom's brand now, she used to use the crystal, but it stopped working for her. You can find Tom's in most of the grocery stores, but we buy it at Sprouts. She's been using deodorant for about 1 1/2 years now, she was just funky. lol rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Michelle
Wife to Henry (6/8/02)
and Mommy to Jaquelyn (Jaci) 9/23/02, Giselle 1/4/05 and Brian 1/7/09

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0125 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]