Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Bump behind ear
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Apr 30 2005, 04:32 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,474

My DS was born with a tiny bump behind one ear. It's something I noticed when I was bathing him and rubbed behind his ear. It's not an external bump, but more like a cyst. I've asked the ped what it is at every visit and they all say it's normal. It's just a blocked lymph node and to just make sure it doesn't get bigger than a dime. Right now it's about a pea size. But it worries me!! Anyone else's kids have this? Doesn't seem to bother Wil, so I guess I shouldn't be all that concerned...but I'll always worry.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
DansMom
Posted: Apr 30 2005, 06:51 PM
Quote Post

kids keep you young!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 223

Daniel doesn't, but I used to get things like that (and still do). They seem to come and go. I wonder if some people are just more prone to them.

--------------------
Tracy, George and Daniel (11/25/02)
user posted image

PMEmail Poster
mammag
Posted: Apr 30 2005, 08:28 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

My niece had something like that I'm not sure though whether it was on the ear or behind.....she's 10 now so.... Anyway, she ended up having to get it popped and then everything was fine. Not sure if it's the same thing.

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

lisar
Posted: May 1 2005, 02:41 PM
Quote Post

Yes it is I....

Member No.: 1,760

Could be the lymphnotes swollen. But I would ask the dr just to be sure.

Lisa
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: May 1 2005, 02:57 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

Ds #2 has noticable pea sized lumps in his neck, which I have repeatedly asked both my brother and the ped about, b/c it looks so, so, well, scary. They keep reassuring me that it's just a "shoddy node"- a lymph node that became swollen at one time or another fighting off some infection/bug bite, whatever and just never drained. Idk how they can know it's benign w/o some kind of test, but I guess that's why they were in medical school for 10 yrs! rolling_smile.gif

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: May 2 2005, 11:03 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (jcc64 @ May 1 2005, 05:57 PM)
Ds #2 has noticable pea sized lumps in his neck, which I have repeatedly asked both my brother and the ped about, b/c it looks so, so, well, scary. They keep reassuring me that it's just a "shoddy node"- a lymph node that became swollen at one time or another fighting off some infection/bug bite, whatever and just never drained. Idk how they can know it's benign w/o some kind of test, but I guess that's why they were in medical school for 10 yrs! rolling_smile.gif

Sounds like the exact same thing!! I've actually found a second one in his upper neck, behind his head. It scares me to death and I'm so afraid that next year they're going to tell me it's something awful. They say if it gets bigger, they can stick a needle in and test it. But how long do I have to wait...until something bad happens? Maybe I'm being paranoid. As a matter of fact, I have a big lump behind my ear today that is very swollen. And I get them under my armpits and in my collar bone from time to time too. Doc said it was filled lymph nodes, but isn't cancer of the lymphatics pretty common? Urgh. sad.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: May 2 2005, 11:41 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

This is one of my common neuroses upon which I freak at regular intervals. Corey (2.5) had one in the back of her head during the winter, and I wigged out (didn't even know there WERE lymph nodes back there). Brother (a ped) said it's probably a plugged lymph node and it would eventually drain, but again, could take months. It did eventually recede.
I think the scary, ominous nodes are fixed in place and hard, as opposed to soft and malleable.
Honestly, I think it's pretty common (it's happened to all 3 of my kids at one time or another), and unless it/they get noticably larger in conjunction with other symptoms, I would try not to worry so much.

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
snoopymom
Posted: May 2 2005, 02:00 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,782

My son has the exact same thing - only his is about the size of a quarter - it can be seen across the room - dr has always told me not to worry - for the longest time I found myself checking it every day, but now I am getting used to it. It hasn't changed size and I have them check it at every dr's appt. When he gets a bit older, they have talked about having it removed. My biggest fear when I found it was lymphoma (sp). I just watch and pray that it will not change into anything else.

--------------------
I think I've discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.
--Charles Schulz

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: May 2 2005, 02:18 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

QUOTE (jcc64 @ May 2 2005, 02:41 PM)

Honestly, I think it's pretty common (it's happened to all 3 of my kids at one time or another), and unless it/they get noticably larger in conjunction with other symptoms, I would try not to worry so much.

Thanks, that makes me feel better! Especially if your bro is a ped! smile.gif

--------------------
PMEmail Poster
mom2lilnick
Posted: May 2 2005, 03:26 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,816

Hi, I am totally new here. All three of my kids have lymph nodes that stick out of thier neck and I have been told too that it is totally normal. We were told that because they are all thin that they will show easier. (not sure I believe that one) My youngest does have an immune disorder that requires IVIG treatments every other week, but my other two children have been tested for it and don't have the disorder, so it must not be related.

I would just keep an eye on it. Good luck

Amy, mom to Kayla, Noah and Nicholas.

--------------------
Amy,
Mom to Kayla, 9
Noah, 6
Nicholas 2
PMEmail PosterYahoo

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0226 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]