Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Pages: (2) 1 [2]  ( Go to first unread post )
Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Does anyone else tan in beds?
maraelise
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 09:34 AM
Quote Post

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,592

on the plus side of tanning:

there was a study that came out about a year ago demonstrating that a statistically significant number people who tanned (in the beds) actually increased there positive mood for about two to five hours afterwards. so that's something.

i don't tan in the beds-- i just run outside and swim outside and i'm that skin type that's just asking for cancer (freckles everywhere and pale). so i figure if i'm going to get cancer it should be b/c it's inevitable, and not b/c i'm pushing the envelope.

there are those chronic tanners' and they just start to have this dodgy looking color overall...

(i used to live in a city in germany that had the highest concentration of tanning-salons per capita and there were a lot of really funny looking people on the streets there-- evenly brown all year round rolleyes.gif )

This post has been edited by maraelise on Apr 7 2005, 09:34 AM

--------------------
user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 09:53 AM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

I don't tan much - I'm not a tanning bed junkie at all, but I do like to go get a base tan before I go on vacation or right before summer starts so I don't get the he** burned out of me, I burn so bad, sunscreen or not! I am going right now because of my wedding too! I do know there are risks involved but I think if someone doesn't over do it then they should be ok. I also always and I mean always wear a ton of sunscreen outside through the summer. You still tan with it on and it stops me from being burnt and getting those harmful UV rays! wink.gif

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
kit_kats_mom
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 10:09 AM
Quote Post

Cary the Lemur

Member No.: 135

I was a punk rocker in my younger days & I shunned the sun. happy.gif I love the creamy paleness of my skin & if I dont wear sunscreen, it takes forever for the tan to wear off...drives me nuts. I also despise tan lines. Of course, living in FL, my left arm is always somewhat tan from driving rolleyes.gif

I see my "tanning" friends who I went to high school with now & they have way more wrinkles than I do.

--------------------
Cary

PMEmail PosterMSN

5littleladies
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 10:22 AM
Quote Post

Lissie

Member No.: 116

My hubby loves, and I mean loves, my fair skin. I don't tan (indoors or out) for many of the reasons listed but the fact that dh adores me the way I am is an added plus! wub.gif I am very fair and I burn easily-I have had 2 very serious sunburns *ouch*-so I lather up with sunscreen all summer. I don't mind my fair skin at all. happy.gif

I have a friend whose mom used a tanning bed and after just a year or two she had very leathery, starting to wrinkle skin. That was a definite turn-off for me. blink.gif

--------------------
~*~Jennifer~*~
Wife to Jason, Mom to Madeline, Megan, Brianna,
Alyssa, Kate, and our babies in heaven-Benjamin, 8/13/04, and David, 8/01/07

Jen's Blog
PMEmail PosterMSN
PascosGirl
Posted: Apr 7 2005, 01:12 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,590

QUOTE (3littleladies @ Apr 7 2005, 01:22 PM)
My hubby loves, and I mean loves, my fair skin. I don't tan (indoors or out) for many of the reasons listed but the fact that dh adores me the way I am is an added plus! wub.gif I am very fair and I burn easily-I have had 2 very serious sunburns *ouch*-so I lather up with sunscreen all summer. I don't mind my fair skin at all. happy.gif

I have a friend whose mom used a tanning bed and after just a year or two she had very leathery, starting to wrinkle skin. That was a definite turn-off for me. blink.gif

Tanning in the sun depletes moisture from your skin. If you moisturize often and properly, you can make it to where your skin is not leathery.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
PM
bwalkerletters
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 08:59 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Member No.: 1,670

I don't tan......my feet would hang out of the tanning bed! smile.gif I have been told I'd fit in a stand up one though.........who knows..... haha
PM
PascosGirl
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 09:12 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

QUOTE (bwalkerletters @ Apr 11 2005, 11:59 AM)
I don't tan......my feet would hang out of the tanning bed! smile.gif I have been told I'd fit in a stand up one though.........who knows..... haha

You would fit in a hex.

--------------------
PM
bwalkerletters
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 09:13 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

how tall are they?? smile.gif
PM
PascosGirl
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 09:14 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

QUOTE (bwalkerletters @ Apr 11 2005, 12:13 PM)
how tall are they?? smile.gif

About 9 feet.

--------------------
PM
bwalkerletters
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 09:31 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

Yeah, I should check into that. I go to Golds Gym and they have a nice tanning area, so I should check into it. How much do you pay a month??
PM
PascosGirl
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 03:03 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

QUOTE (bwalkerletters @ Apr 11 2005, 12:31 PM)
Yeah, I should check into that. I go to Golds Gym and they have a nice tanning area, so I should check into it. How much do you pay a month??

I pay about $60 a month but other places are much less. I go to a spa which tends to be a little more.

--------------------
PM
bwalkerletters
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 04:14 PM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

60 dollars?? I don't think I'll be going in any in a spa! smile.gif I'm a season ticket holder to the Titans, and I'll just save that money for the 7 dollar beers that we have here. smile.gif
PM
PascosGirl
Posted: Apr 11 2005, 08:44 PM
Quote Post

Silver Member

QUOTE (bwalkerletters @ Apr 11 2005, 07:14 PM)
60 dollars?? I don't think I'll be going in any in a spa! smile.gif I'm a season ticket holder to the Titans, and I'll just save that money for the 7 dollar beers that we have here. smile.gif

You are silly. I said you can get it cheaper elsewhere. lol Go to a tanning salon. It is about $25 a month there. Besides, your gym should let you add on tanning for about $15 a month.

--------------------
PM
CCTandME
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 07:42 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 1,139

I love a tan and I tan well, but now at 30 and w/ 3 kids I get very little time to lounge in the sun. No time for salons. I did that before kids, though. Also, my mom's Irish skin NEVER tanned so at 58 her skin looks pretty good. I see people out at the store who talk about their age and I am shocked. My mothers age or a few years younger and they look 10-20yrs OLDER. Smoking can also have that affect.
Isn't it also that burn is more likely to be the cause of skin cancer? I'm not really sure. I thought people w/ more pigmentation in their skin are less likely to get skin cancer. Is that right?

--------------------
CCTandME
Cailee
Camryn
Teagan
and
Carley(me)
PMEmail Poster

mammag
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 07:54 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,050

My place you can tan everyday for $11.99 a month. smile.gif Not that I do.... I go maybe twice a week. Course, I'm really missing it right now because I haven't been able to get over there for 9 days.... I'm starting to get pale already. sad.gif

--------------------
Jeanie - SAHM to Kristen 13, Cade 12, Conner 8, Keegan 3

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
bwalkerletters
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 08:29 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

That's a good deal......I could handle paying 12 dollars a month for a tan. smile.gif
PM
GavinsMommy
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 08:39 AM
Quote Post

Mum to Gavin Cole

Member No.: 878

QUOTE (bwalkerletters @ Apr 12 2005, 11:29 AM)
That's a good deal......I could handle paying 12 dollars a month for a tan. smile.gif

Use the sun...it's FREE! LOL. thumb.gif

--------------------
user posted image

user posted image

user posted image
PMEmail PosterUsers WebsiteAOL
bwalkerletters
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 10:12 AM
Quote Post

Bronze Member

It's too hot outside sometimes! smile.gif Haha........
PM
JessC
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 05:53 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,289

I like airbrush tanning the best....

Me too! ^ That way you arent frying your skin... its just lotion.

I have never gone to a tanning bed because my grandma died of skin cancer.
I will NEVER go tanning I sit in the sun in the summer... but I can't even stand that for like 20 mins. It gets too hot and the though runs through my head that I am making myself AGE! huh.gif ohmy.gif

So NO tanning for me unless fake... lots of sunscreen used in my household! wink.gif

--------------------

-Jessica

PMEmail Poster
mysweetpeasWil&Wes
Posted: Apr 12 2005, 07:31 PM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 1,474

I used to tan a ton while I was in college. It's quite addictive. But now I haven't tanned for years. I wear sunscreen everyday because my skin looks terrible from years of bad tanning. Perhaps the tanning salons are different today, but I'm not willing to take the risk. I live in Colorado and laugh at the girls at the gym who are orange. Not that us folks in Colorado don't get "real" sun, but I grew up in California and was always at the beach and getting the glow. I made the mistake and have a ton of freckles and dark pigment that makes me look older than I am. I do wish I could have the "look" of a little tan, so maybe I'll try one of those misting tans sometime. But I also have eczema, so I have to watch what I put on my skin at all times. My sister-in-law is a model (I'm talking super model, big campaigns, runway in Europe, covers of Italian Vogue, etc) and she is pasty white and beautiful. Her skin is almost transluscent and it's what gets her the jobs. I'm very jealous!!!

Don't let anyone tell you to stop doing something you enjoy. It's just not for me anymore, but believe me, it crosses my mind at times. Self tanners just aren't the same thing.

--------------------
Rae SAHM to Wil (4) and Wesley (2) ~ Wife to Richard 10/20/01
user posted imageuser posted image
PMEmail Poster
Mylilprincesses
Posted: May 3 2005, 11:01 AM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,697

I do. I actually prefer going in the high pressure tanning beds. They block out the more harmful rays and use UVB rays (I believe) to activate the natural melanin in your skin. That way, you get a more natural looking tan- more brown, less red. You only have to do it about 2-3 times a month tops and it has immediate results and most importantly, you don't burn at all.

I go about twice a month and maintain a very tan/brown skin tone. I love it. Definitely worth looking into, all you tanners. It's fairly a new thing but they're popping up everywhere.

--------------------
*JENNA*

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
My2Beauties
Posted: May 3 2005, 12:13 PM
Quote Post

My Baby Girls!!!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 467

QUOTE (Mylilprincesses @ May 3 2005, 02:01 PM)
I do. I actually prefer going in the high pressure tanning beds. They block out the more harmful rays and use UVB rays (I believe) to activate the natural melanin in your skin. That way, you get a more natural looking tan- more brown, less red. You only have to do it about 2-3 times a month tops and it has immediate results and most importantly, you don't burn at all.

I go about twice a month and maintain a very tan/brown skin tone. I love it. Definitely worth looking into, all you tanners. It's fairly a new thing but they're popping up everywhere.

This is what I use to tan! I love them, I was able to stay for 10 minutes the first time I went in (i was pale as a ghost) and I didn't burn - never have not once but I'm darker than I've ever been!

--------------------
LeaAnn, wife to Brian (05/21/2005)
Mommy to Hanna Marie (11/14/2003)
Mommy to Aubrey Lynn (05/01/2007)
Step-mommy to Desiree Ann (11/14/1995)
user posted image

My MySpace Page
PM
Mylilprincesses
Posted: May 3 2005, 02:13 PM
Quote Post

Member No.: 1,697

QUOTE (hannasmommy @ May 3 2005, 03:13 PM)
QUOTE (Mylilprincesses @ May 3 2005, 02:01 PM)
I do.  I actually prefer going in the high pressure tanning beds.  They block out the more harmful rays and use UVB rays (I believe) to activate the natural melanin in your skin.  That way, you get a more natural looking tan- more brown, less red.  You only have to do it about 2-3 times a month tops and it has immediate results and most importantly, you don't burn at all.

I go about twice a month and maintain a very tan/brown skin tone.  I love it.  Definitely worth looking into, all you tanners.  It's fairly a new thing but they're popping up everywhere.

This is what I use to tan! I love them, I was able to stay for 10 minutes the first time I went in (i was pale as a ghost) and I didn't burn - never have not once but I'm darker than I've ever been!

Me too! Not a burn EVER and you get a really rich tan! I love it too!! biggrin.gif

--------------------
*JENNA*

user posted image
PMEmail Poster
paradisemommy
Posted: May 3 2005, 04:07 PM
Quote Post

Brother/Sister Love :)

Member No.: 142

when i was in HS and after i graduated, i found it was one of the few things that helped clear my acne up..i didn't overly use it, but i could tell a big difference when i went and when i didn't and i tried everything under the sun for my acne...

but now with an almost 3 year old and another on the way - i don't think i've tanned for about 10 years..course i live in hawaii too and you'd look kinda weird walking into a tanning salon over here..LOL rolleyes.gif

--------------------
May your troubles be less,
your blessings be more
and nothing but happiness
come through your door.
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic OptionsPages: (2) 1 [2]  Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0292 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]