Home | Contact Us | Community | News | Resources | Entertainment | Shop | Parenting BlogsPlease visit our sponsors:
Parenting, Pregnancy & Baby Message Boards
Would you like to support Parenting Club? Click here for donation information  
Google
Share |

Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

> Mammograms
coasterqueen
Posted: May 12 2009, 12:04 PM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Group: Members
Member No.: 236

Anyone had one before? Since I have strong breast cancer history on my mom's side of the family I'm due for a mammogram this year. I won't have it done until after my 35th birthday this year. I'm relieved that I'm going to get one done for a baseline, with the history of breast cancer in my family, but the thought of getting one done doesn't thrill me. wacko.gif

--------------------
~*Karen*~
wife to hubby, Ryan Douglas
mommy to Kylie (9) and Megan (6.5)
and furbabies Gavin, Buster, Sox, and Hailey

PMEmail Poster
Our Lil' Family
Posted: May 12 2009, 12:28 PM
Quote Post

We're a Who Dat family!

Group: Moderators
Member No.: 2,459

They have come a long way, my friend had her first last year, and said it wasn't that bad.

--------------------
Naomi, Wife to Tim & Mommy to Thomas (7) and Andrew (2)
user posted image
PM
msoulz
Posted: May 12 2009, 12:50 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 2,158

Yep, had several. It's not the most fun I have had but not so bad either. Worth the momentary discomfort for sure!

--------------------
Mary :)
a.k.a. Jake & Erin's mom

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
PM

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 12 2009, 04:33 PM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

I've had a number of them done starting with a baseline at 35 and yearly ones until I was 42 when I lost my insurance coverage. My MGM and MGGM died of breast cancer. I have small, not very dense breasts. It's not particularly fun but it's short term discomfort for long term piece of mind. thumb.gif

My fav memory of them was one tech who after placing my breast in the machine and vice gripping it in place said "OK Honey, don't move!" Seriously? Where am I going to go with my boob in a vice? rolling_smile.gif

This post has been edited by mom21kid2dogs on May 12 2009, 04:33 PM

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
lovemy2
Posted: May 12 2009, 05:05 PM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Group: Validating
Member No.: 8,607

Physically I say its nothing - its the emotionalness (if that's even a word) of the wait after that is brutal - I was convinced they were going to come back and tell me there was a lump sleep.gif

--------------------
Lilypie 6th to 18th Ticker

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 13 2009, 02:47 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

Group: Administrators
Member No.: 2

QUOTE (lovemy2 @ May 12 2009, 09:05 PM)
Physically I say its nothing - its the emotionalness (if that's even a word) of the wait after that is brutal - I was convinced they were going to come back and tell me there was a lump sleep.gif

I agree... physically, it's a few moments of discomfort and not all that bad. I think the anticipation leading up to the mammogram and then waiting for the results is the worst.

I don't know if you remember all the issues I was having a few year ago and had one done at the recommendation of my OB. I then had to have a biopsy, but luckily the cyst and the calcifications were both benign. But, I did find out that I should not be taking birth control pills because I had fibrocystic breasts. I now have to have a mammogram every year, and I don't mind at all... it is well worth it. With your family history Karen, I am glad you are going and it's really not that bad at all. hug.gif

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02
Joshua Lee 2/03/00 (Our Angel in Heaven)

user posted imageImage and video hosting by TinyPic
PMEmail PosterUsers Website
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 13 2009, 02:51 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ May 12 2009, 08:33 PM)
I've had a number of them done starting with a baseline at 35 and yearly ones until I was 42 when I lost my insurance coverage. My MGM and MGGM died of breast cancer. I have small, not very dense breasts. It's not particularly fun but it's short term discomfort for long term piece of mind. thumb.gif

My fav memory of them was one tech who after placing my breast in the machine and vice gripping it in place said "OK Honey, don't move!" Seriously? Where am I going to go with my boob in a vice? rolling_smile.gif

LOL! rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif Yeah, it's not like you can go anywhere.

As for having them done every year, I do believe they have programs set up for those that don't have insurance - at least they do here. I would call the breast evaluation center and ask them, Cheryl, because I would hate for you to stop going to your yearly exam. However, I don't think any kind of aftercare (biospys, etc) are covered. But, your health is the most important thing.

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

mom21kid2dogs
Posted: May 13 2009, 03:19 AM
Quote Post

Parker, the handsome pound puppy!

Member No.: 1,127

QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ May 13 2009, 05:51 AM)

LOL! rolling_smile.gif rolling_smile.gif Yeah, it's not like you can go anywhere.

As for having them done every year, I do believe they have programs set up for those that don't have insurance - at least they do here. I would call the breast evaluation center and ask them, Cheryl, because I would hate for you to stop going to your yearly exam. However, I don't think any kind of aftercare (biospys, etc) are covered. But, your health is the most important thing.

We purchase our own insurance now so I'm not "technically" uninsured but the deductible is $2500 per person so we only use it for the big stuff. All that kind of stuff is self pay. Our county has that program, too, and it IS a really great one (Health Dept runs it actually) but I don't qualify. I do monthly self evals and never has a bad mammomgram when I got them. My mom is almost 70 and she gets them regularly. Her risk is much higher and she's been fine. Thanks for the info (and concern hug.gif ), though. There might be other people on the board who qualify for the uninsured program. And, BTW boys, this is not just a women's issue. My neighbor (a man) died after a 15 year bout with breast cancer~it does happen to men as well!!!

This post has been edited by mom21kid2dogs on May 13 2009, 03:22 AM

--------------------
Cheryl, Olivia's mom
PMEmail Poster
MommyToAshley
Posted: May 13 2009, 04:18 AM
Quote Post

Happy Spring!

QUOTE (mom21kid2dogs @ May 13 2009, 07:19 AM)
QUOTE (MommyToAshley @ May 13 2009, 05:51 AM)

We purchase our own insurance now so I'm not "technically" uninsured but the deductible is $2500 per person so we only use it for the big stuff. All that kind of stuff is self pay. Our county has that program, too, and it IS a really great one (Health Dept runs it actually) but I don't qualify. I do monthly self evals and never has a bad mammomgram when I got them. My mom is almost 70 and she gets them regularly. Her risk is much higher and she's been fine. Thanks for the info (and concern hug.gif ), though. There might be other people on the board who qualify for the uninsured program. And, BTW boys, this is not just a women's issue. My neighbor (a man) died after a 15 year bout with breast cancer~it does happen to men as well!!!

I didn't realize that there was an income qualification, but I should have realized that there would be. I know what you mean about insurance.... We buy our own insurance as well. We actually only have high risk with an HSA, but the preventive maintenance (as they call it) are free charges -- things mammograms and paps are covered. My mammogram was covered, but I had to pay for the biopsy and the reading of the biopsy (which was a pretty hefty expense).

--------------------
Dee Dee , Mommy to:
Ashley Marie 9/05/02

coasterqueen
Posted: May 13 2009, 06:51 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

Thanks ladies. Yes, I am very glad I'm getting it done. I'm not worried they will find anything, but I want a baseline now and want to keep an eye on it every year. My aunt was in her 40's when she got her breast cancer. My mom has had several questionable mams but thankfully nothing terrible so far. My grandmother died from it. I believe my great grandmother had it too, but did not die from that, she died of something else. I also had a great uncle on my mom's side who died of breast cancel. Cheryl is right, men can get it too. I already have "fibrocystic" breasts, whatever that truly means. I know it freaked me out the first time my doc told me, but said it really was no big deal. I hope she's right. happy.gif So a couple more months before I get it done and hopefully waiting for the results won't be too bad.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
jcc64
Posted: May 13 2009, 08:42 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 108

I've had two or there routine mammos- and physically, it's nothing- at least it was for me. I have pretty puny bb's, fwiw. But the waiting is pretty anxiety provoking, at least for a freak like me. Once it's done, it's off my mind for another year, so well worth it, imo. Good luck Karen

--------------------
Jeanne

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Chardonnay in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO, What a Ride!"
PMEmail Poster
Calimama
Posted: May 13 2009, 05:55 PM
Quote Post

Ruby Member

Member No.: 5,538

So when should you start having them regularly? unsure.gif
PMEmail Poster
coasterqueen
Posted: May 14 2009, 05:07 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (Calimama @ May 13 2009, 08:55 PM)
So when should you start having them regularly? unsure.gif

35 to 40 for a "baseline", meaning so they can get a picture of what the breast tissue looks like BEFORE things could get bad. They'll do it earlier if you have a high risk in the family. I'd have mine done now but I'm so close to 35, it's just easier to wait. Sometimes you have to show more proof to insurance before age 35. At age 35 and up mammograms are usually covered.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
danahas4monkeys
Posted: Jun 10 2009, 08:15 AM
Quote Post

Silver Member

Member No.: 942

I am 33 and I've been getting them for about 4years now and ultrasounds before that with our family history, it's not the most pleasant thing to have done but not the worst either! We have a strong family history, my mom was diagnosed at 41 and died at 51 ( 2 years ago) and her sister was diagnosed at 34 and died at 42, so we keep a close eye on the ta ta's! hug.gif

--------------------
Dana
Mommy to Kimberly 14, Jordan 13, Alexis 7, and Andrew 5
PMEmail PosterYahoo

coasterqueen
Posted: Jun 10 2009, 10:10 AM
Quote Post

Diamond Member

QUOTE (danahas4monkeys @ Jun 10 2009, 11:15 AM)
I am 33 and I've been getting them for about 4years now and ultrasounds before that with our family history, it's not the most pleasant thing to have done but not the worst either! We have a strong family history, my mom was diagnosed at 41 and died at 51 ( 2 years ago) and her sister was diagnosed at 34 and died at 42, so we keep a close eye on the ta ta's! hug.gif

Good for you, Dana, being proactive on this. I'm so sorry for your losses, but am thankful that you are getting these mam's for your health. hug.gif hug.gif

I know my family history isn't as bad, but I'm glad the healthcare system recognizes my history and will do something about it.

--------------------
~*Karen*~

PMEmail Poster
boyohboyohboy
Posted: Jun 10 2009, 10:29 AM
Quote Post

Platinum Member

Member No.: 3,466

I was just watching the oprah show on breast cancer a few weeks ago, and they did say that many woman with dense breasts need to get MRI's but that insurance wont pay for it.

I think I have very dense breasts, and on self exam, after breast feeding I think its hard to tell the difference between finding something and a milk duct.
I guess at 36 its time to schedule my first..
thanks for posting this topic

--------------------
Stacy, wife to Peter, mom to Caleb, Jakob, and Andrew

youngmomofone
Posted: Jun 14 2009, 07:13 AM
Quote Post

Gold Member

Member No.: 1,218

Since I have a family history of it as well, I will be getting one done in a few years. I would love to go ahead and get one done as soon as possible, but I know it won't be approved because my mom was 49 when she was diagnosed, and we do not know how old other family members were because it was great grandmother/aunts.

--------------------
Mom to: CJ 7.03, Alexis 10.09, Taylin 5.11, and Emma and Issac 4.12.
Expecting our last baby Liam Jacob in April 2013.

user posted image
PMEmail Poster

0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options Reply to this topicStart new topicStart Poll

[ Script Execution time: 0.0124 ]   [ 12 queries used ]   [ GZIP Enabled ]